Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 PM

Years Playing: 2.4
Throwing Style: RHFH
workout

This is the workout I've been doing to stay in shape with no equipment other that a pull up bar.
1. Pull ups with knee raise5sets of 5
2. Pushups 5 sets of 5
3. Bodyweight squats 3 sets of 10
4. Pistol squats 2sets of 15
5. Planks 30 seconds 3 times
6. Wall sit 30 seconds 3 times
7. Russian twist 30 seconds 3 times.
8. Lunges. 3 sets of 10.
Anything else you guys would recommend?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 35
P90X

Break down and try this !

You need some weights or power bands , but there's so much more than trying to be buff .

I hate the yoga , it takes an hour and a half !

I can really see changes in the stretching and that may be the key for disc . And maybe the yoga , if you have watched the Feldberg putting video .

I've been on and off it and if you want to be buff ,the diet is what it takes . I like my beer and I deserve it ! It may be time to start again , mostly because I watched the Feldborg putting video last night and my balance isn't on game for Borg putting .

Good luck !
Old 02-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 6
Exercise

I agree with the previous statement that p90x is a great video series. I think what I have learned from that series is to use many of the exercises you listed to really focus on core muscle groups and to work on them simultaneously. Also they do focus a lot on Yoga which can really help with balance, flexibility and core strength. So even if p90x is not for you I would still look into a yoga video to alternate with your current work out. Anyways any exersises that help with core muscles, flexibility and balance will really pay off on the disc golf course.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
P90X is awesome and will really bring results, especially if you follow the diet plan. I started a paleo diet about 5 months ago and have been doing Krav Maga and a "fit to fight" program for a year and a half. Never felt better. Core strength and flexibility definitely increased, and the "explosive" techniques of Krav have really helped with late acceleration and timing in general.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:42 PM

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 8
If you have a school track or anything nearby I would go do 40 yard sprints and then suicides. Eat right, which is a whole other reply for me. burning fat and eating right are 2 main things right there then put on some muscle. Fit and Ripped bro
Old 02-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 1
Another vote for p90x, great workout.
I'm also a big fan of running, well actually I f*ckin hate it but the results are great. Especially if you live near sand. I'm 2 minutes from lake Michigan so I do my running in the sand dunes. Add some light ankle and hand weights and you'll be a lean mean birdie machine in no time.
Plus whenever you see sand you'll finally know what it means to feel pure hate
Old 02-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 44
Man i was in the best shape of my life during P90X about 2 years ago. It's a tough as crap workout if you aren't in mediocre shape first, but man it made me feel awesome....i guess i should really get back into it....hmm, will this be my motivation to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violets caddy View Post
I'm also a big fan of running, well actually I f*ckin hate it but the results are great.
Ha, this is SO true for me too. The other bonus for me is the trail I run on is loaded with nice "scenery" come spring/summer. That's why I started last week, so I am not heaving and dying on the trail, but able to "look in shape" while perusing the "scenery".
Old 02-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 15
Here's another vote for P90X. As has been said the workouts are difficult, they're not impossible by any means but they are hard.

Also the hardest thing about P90X is sticking with it. I'm on week 1 of month 2. And I'm down 7 pounds from starting and I'm starting to see some results like better definition in my arms chest, and legs (no abs yet I'm still rocking some chub) But I do feel strong and it's helped me with ice hockey.

This is my second time doing the workout. Last time I was doing it I really noticed improvements in my golf game mainly around driving and control. I haven't played golf since I've started this round of P90X but hopefully it warms up soon.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:06 PM

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 8
Insanity is better in my own personal opinion.. P90X is great no doubt but Insanity is well.. ya know.. insane

Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
Insanity is better in my own personal opinion.. P90X is great no doubt but Insanity is well.. ya know.. insane
I have a friend who feels this way also. I think Insanity is better for cardio/endurance. P90X is better for gaining strength.

If you stick with any work out program that's 45-60 minutes per day you'll improve your physical fitness. So if you want to do P90X or Insanity or Jazzercise it doesn't matter. If you're elevating your heart rate and working hard for that amount of time every day you're better off than doing nothing.