Disc Golf Store
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHFH
Herniated Disc in back

Anyone have experience with having a herniated disc and eventually playing again with no problem?

I suffered a herniated disc this past weekend which is still killing me. I am wondering if when it eventualy heals if it is likely to happen again? What tips to avoid reinjury? switch to flick only? Anyone have experience with this? The injury did not happen while playing but moving something light, however I had played the previous 2 days before hand.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Depends on the person from my research. I have three herniated discs all in a row L3-L5(Minor, severe, major herniation). I found with clean form and not carrying my tournament bag I've been ok. I've dropped down to the Discraft ace race weekend bag for fun/casual rounds. If I play in a tournament I'll used my big bag but i'm usually done for a week/two after that.

For me I have a harder time when tripping on a root or small stump than throwing/playing. Take it easy and if you want to play and your back is hurting work on no steps and flippy discs.

Good luck and hopefully everything works out for you.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 82
I had an L5 S1 microdiscectomy on December 26th and I was playing ten days later with a putter and a scepter. I won FA1 at a tourney less than a month after that. I had pain (sometimes crippling) for over ten years before the surgery, so I was used to playing hurt.

They went in on the left side, so I'm still only throwing hyzer backhand drives. I can forehand and throw anny, but not on a drive. Also, my distance is limited to what I can throw with my arm only, so I'm missing about 75 feet from my normal range.

I'm hoping to be better in time for Am World Doubles a month from now. I'm pretty optimistic about a good recovery, since I've heard some people report being flat on their backs for 4 months after this procedure.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHFH
This was the first time where I couldnt walk and I was in bad since Saturday until today (Wed). I can finally walk gingerly but it sucks. Just wanted to ask and make sure my DG days are not over as I havent been playing too long to begin with and I love this sport. Do you find Forehand or Backhand seem to bother the back more?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 82
For me, forehand is off limits right now, but I think that's because my pain is all on the left side right now, and I have trouble putting weight on my left leg.

Since your injury is fresh, I presume you are going to physical therapy. If not, you need to do that. It took about 2 months of physical therapy the first time for me to be able to walk without severe pain. The pain kept coming back for me, but it may go away for you permanently. Everyone is different. You might also look into getting spinal injections. Those helped me for a while. Your doctor is going to be a better source than me for information, that's for sure.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.3
Courses Played: 178
As a nurse, I suggest finding the best back doctor in your area. Either a neuro surgeon or ortho guy and develop a long relationship with him, or her. The back will never improve, it will cause more or less problems, but they don't repair themselves. Jenb has been very forthcoming in her ongoing back struggles, and I too have problems on and off. Go see a doctor and get help. Motrin, shots, and physical therapy all help, but surgery is the only fix. Good luck man.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
I had a herniation of my L4-L5 and L5-S1, I had to take a few months off with no throwing whatsoever, I did PT, after that I started playing again. Regular stretching and yoga helped a lot. That was two years ago and now I have little to no side effects as long as I stretch.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 147
I needed surgery. You should try physical therapy first. Steroid injections didn't help me. The last one I did left me worse than before.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:15 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 27
Herniated L-4/5 and L-5/S-1 here. Have had this injury for years. Just picked up disc golf last year, after giving up on hardball which I played for the last 25 years.
With this type of injury, the pain comes and goes. For me sometimes it's hard to get out of bed in the morning, and sometimes I wake up and run 5 miles. You can basically learn to live with it, get injections to dull the pain, or have surgery. I chose to just live with it. I was always worried that I would injure myself worse if I got shots (epideral, I believe?), and told that the surgery (fusion) was no sure thing.
For me, I do core and lumbar stretching twice daily. I even do a stretch before I get out of bed in the morning. I do exercises that help strengthen the core. In my particular situation, a monthly visit to a sports physical therapist/chiropractor also helps.
Good luck, OP

Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 6
Yeah, I agree with most of what people have said. I had L4/L5, did PT, etc. The pain never totally goes away but it hasn't stopped me from playing. You just get used to it after a while. I throw backhand mostly and no real issues other than occasionally waking up the next day a little sore.