Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
I grabbed a tern in the last order I made from the internet. I haven't been throwing anything faster than an eagle lately, but I wanted to try it out and see the new plastic. the tern I ended up with was made out of a really opaque plastic and had significant imperfections on the rim. anyone else get one that isn't made of the crystal clear plastic?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 33
I just picked up a Proto Champ Tern and it flies great. It is flat and very fast. It will be finding a home my bag. Added instant distance to my drives. Very happy with it.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 PM

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 6
I traveled to a different disc shop today in PA and picked up a Tern. I threw it for 10 holes at Tyler and I have to say I love it. It released a lot easier from my hand than other discs I've thrown and it had nice glide. I will pick up another one fo sho!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
I grabbed a tern in the last order I made from the internet. I haven't been throwing anything faster than an eagle lately, but I wanted to try it out and see the new plastic. the tern I ended up with was made out of a really opaque plastic and had significant imperfections on the rim. anyone else get one that isn't made of the crystal clear plastic?
I own 5 and never seen one like that...even my two Factory Seconds just have a couple black flecks in the rim. Never seen that at our local shops either...very odd.

On the other hand, I did just get (another) proto flag stamp Tern off the MP and it came in today (thanks, OSUDISCGOLF!) And its a beautiful dayglo yellow. As I was doing some field work with it today, it had a much stronger fade than my other Terns. It's a 173 (as opposed to 2 170s, a 168 and a 163) but I doubt the weight has much to do with it. The interesting part is that it still has pretty much the same amount of turn as the others.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 22
I just got one on Monday (via DD) and have thrown it a few times since. The first thing that I noticed about mine was that there was a giant air bubble in the rim as well as ton of print flecks in the rim (I have a feeling that mine should have been a factory second (or judging by the size of the air bubble a blizzard) but I know innova loves their profit margin).
Old 03-01-2013, 11:57 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 31
Playing at a windy course I get concerned when I hear "lots of glide". How does this guy fare in the wind?
Old 03-02-2013, 03:09 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Playing at a windy course I get concerned when I hear "lots of glide". How does this guy fare in the wind?
SUper flippy into the wind, great with the wind.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:59 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
OK that ^^^^from a guy who can throw a country mile (Bobby B5932)^^^^. To a guy who can't (320 to 330'). I play in a pretty windy area (Lagoon Valley). I had a chance to play with this disc on a day that was mild 10 to 15 mph wind. I was getting a nice helix out of it (approx 20 to 25' in width). Nice thing was is that it always came back when thrown correctly (I hyzer flip). Non windy days, I was getting a nice tight helix (approx 5').
What I didn't notice was all the glide people are talking about? but the sad truth. Is I more than likely don't have the arm speed to throw this disc the way it's suppose to but the plastic is sweet and the rim is not huge.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:07 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 25
I've got one at 167 gr, and It is definitely not great into the wind. Wonderful tailwind or calmer weather driver, but not a wind fighter. Maybe a 175 might be better in that respect, but the 167 stays in the bag with a head wind.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:05 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 37
It works okay when thrown on a hyzer into a headwind, but there's about a million more overstable options that will be more reliable and still require less effort. As for the glide, throw it on a low (chest high) frozen rope, and you'll see it catch the wind and just keep going. That's where it really shows its glide. When you give it some considerable height, it doesn't really get the chance to show it off.

I take that back...a good, high anhyzer you'll see it glide out pretty good.