Disc Golf Store
Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
If playing 890 golf wins your rec division, you're most certainly not sandbagging, it just means that a ton of others are playing up.
Seriously. Typically, the guy that wins rec is throwing 920 golf that day. And it's not that unusual to have a rec winner playing his first tournament and throwing 1000 rated golf. Welcome to rec.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 18
Screw the people who are complaining. You're there to play YOUR game not THEIRS. Play the division you feel you're comfortable with. I played as an 893-7 REC player for half a year before I took 1st in an A-tier and had to move up. Note, HAD TO. I wasn't ready mentally and my rating dropped back down. It definitely hurt my game some, thinking I was better than what I was ready to handle.

If you show up that morning and you feel great and want to move up to INT, then have the extra $5 and move up. Otherwise, play what you want to play and have fun.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:05 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
Seriously. Typically, the guy that wins rec is throwing 920 golf that day. And it's not that unusual to have a rec winner playing his first tournament and throwing 1000 rated golf. Welcome to rec.
I think you missed my point. I think it's great when 920 golf is winning rec. That means there's solid competition and you have to play above your rating to win. It also means that consistently successful rec players will soon be intermediate players. When everybody else moves up, it just opens things up for the one guy playing 870 golf to keep beating up on all the novice players playing up into rec.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:12 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 94
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I think you missed my point. I think it's great when 920 golf is winning rec. That means there's solid competition and you have to play above your rating to win. It also means that consistently successful rec players will soon be intermediate players. When everybody else moves up, it just opens things up for the one guy playing 870 golf to keep beating up on all the novice players playing up into rec.
I agree with you Matt, Chicagoland always seem to have good competition if you play your rating.

I know others on this site are not fans of the PDGA rating system, but I back it 100%. I think the only problem with the rating system is that people choose not to follow it. I think Chuck's hypothetical post about forcing people to play their rated division has a lot of validity to it and if it were happen it would open a lot of peoples eyes to the fact that the ratings system is accurate and effective for the majority of players and regions.

I have played my way from Novice to Advanced in my 3 year tournament career, and each time I get near the top of the division I can feel its time to move up, and sure enough next ratings update pushes me to the next division.

To the OP: I think you should play Rec. I am a firm believer in playing your division anyway and with your situation it makes it even more obvious in my mind that you should play Rec. Just because you a high "rated" rec player doesn't mean you can just show up and win based off of having the highest rating. You still need to execute and achieve the best score of anyone else in your division to win.

While I believe the rating system won't always be able to account for some outlying situations, when applied appropriately across a region where the majority of players abide by it, it will work for the vast majority.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 93
Playing your rating is a regional thing. It really just depends on where in the world you are. Ultimately you default to the PDGA regulations and 887 means you can play Rec.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 7
I've always wondered this.. I'll be registering for the PDGA here in the next couple months.. but I'll be playing in a couple sanctioned events before then. I feel like I'm skilled enough to play some sort of Advanced, cause I've seen the scores those guys get... but I may play Intermediate my first tourney and see how that goes. My only worry is what if I play well ahead of all the players in Intermediate, and they think I'm sandbagging. How does one approach that situation?? Do you say, Hey this is my first tournament and I was unsure if I should of played Intermediate or Advanced, so I'm "testing the waters" as they say... my question is, how do I decide exactly which level to play on if I don't have a rating yet.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:10 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 37
Just go for it! If you just destroy Indermediate, and you feel bad, you can always give part of your winnings to the guy who just missed cashing out. Trust me, if you play a PDGA tourney and win, people will be calling you a sandbagger no matter what. I say start Indermediate and see how it goes...hopefully you kick butt and move up in your next one!
Old 03-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 7
Cool.I only ask cause I play with a guy who plays Advanced and I keep up, sometimes do better than, with him. But ya ill probably do Intermediate and see how it goes. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 94
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by techn9cian4life View Post
Cool.I only ask cause I play with a guy who plays Advanced and I keep up, sometimes do better than, with him. But ya ill probably do Intermediate and see how it goes. Thanks.
I think what Andy said is spot on.

You could also ask the TD for a recommendation, then when people ask you why you played the division you did, you simply state, "This is my first tournament and the division I played is what the TD suggested for me."

Old 03-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
Just go for it! If you just destroy Indermediate, and you feel bad, you can always give part of your winnings to the guy who just missed cashing out. Trust me, if you play a PDGA tourney and win, people will be calling you a sandbagger no matter what. I say start Indermediate and see how it goes...hopefully you kick butt and move up in your next one!
this is truth for any tourny really