Old 03-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 35
"Does anyone worry that with this new-found "team camaraderie", with 1st and second cards stacked with Prodigy members, the possibility that getting rule violations called, or at least seconded, could be affected? "

Did anyone else see Phil Arthur jump all over Barsby when he questioned Wysocki on 18 final day? Wysocki's putt went OB, he picked up his marker. Team prodigy yelled for him to re-putt. He sets his marker back down, and Barsby questioned if that was legal or not. Phil yelled at him, declaring it was legal, look it up in the rule book. Barsby apologized and let up.

Even if this was a legal play, putting back ones mark after removing it, and not verbally asking ones opponents if they agree with the spot, it made me question having 3 prodigy players with there 'we're #1 and you're not' attitude on the same card with a single outsider.

Also, there was not an official exclusively following the top cards. I'm sure there was one around and available if hailed, but you'd have to reach out to him/her.
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj29274 View Post
Us vs Them. . .too much hubris
Not only this, but now I've seen many more "loyalty" posts here on the forums as well. People are pulling for Westside beacause of Barsby, DD because of Emac, Lat for Feldberg....etc. This didn't happen before.

And of course, everyone wants Prodigy to fail miserably, which is ridiculous.
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 155
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
you missed my point. Shoestring needs to learn some etiquette. not shaking hands is a big time dbag move. coupled with the scorecard and it speaks volumes for his maturity
I've read multiple times that Will refused to shake hands with Paul. I've watched all the videos a couple times and I've never seen this interaction? I haven't seen them shake hands, but it I haven't seen this "moment" that keeps getting referred to. Am I missing a video?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillim View Post
I've read multiple times that Will refused to shake hands with Paul. I've watched all the videos a couple times and I've never seen this interaction? I haven't seen them shake hands, but it I haven't seen this "moment" that keeps getting referred to. Am I missing a video?
We shouldn't assume he didn't shake hands just because we haven't seen it on film. (Yet)
Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
We shouldn't assume he didn't shake hands just because we haven't seen it on film. (Yet)
That's what I'm saying. The comments started in reference to a video of them putting out on hole 1. Someone on here said "Will wouldn't even shake Paul's hand" in regard to the video. I didn't see anything like that. They didn't shake hands in said video, but neither one of them blew the other off when an attempt was made.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
you missed my point. Shoestring needs to learn some etiquette. not shaking hands is a big time dbag move. coupled with the scorecard and it speaks volumes for his maturity
This could have very well happened behind closed doors after the fact. I am pretty sure MLB players don't shake the other team's hand right after the final out of the World Series. Too much is being made of this. I know I probably would have done with same thing when I was 21 or whatever age he is.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 74
wow 50+ pages in 2 and a half days. that was a momentous undertaking but i am now 100% caught up. i have to go rest my eyes now.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjman View Post
Did anyone else see Phil Arthur jump all over Barsby when he questioned Wysocki on 18 final day? Wysocki's putt went OB, he picked up his marker. Team prodigy yelled for him to re-putt. He sets his marker back down, and Barsby questioned if that was legal or not. Phil yelled at him, declaring it was legal, look it up in the rule book. Barsby apologized and let up.
802.3 F (http://m.4discgolf.com/802.php)
"A marker disc that is moved prior to the ensuing throw shall be replaced to its original position to mark the approximate lie."

It technically doesn't say that the group has to agree to the spot. It probably should, but it doesn't.

However, if Phil did indeed "yell" at Barsby, Barsby would have every right to call a courtesy violation on Will in accordance with CompManual Section 3.5C and 801.04C (http://m.4discgolf.com/801.php)
Old 03-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 35
Thanks for the rules reference. I wasn't doubting that it was a violation.

Phil's tone and volume was enough to startle me from 60 feet away. It was a heated moment, so I understand him wanting to take charge since he knew he was correct.

But Barsby wasn't putting, he was just milling about waiting to finish.

Last edited by cjman; 03-04-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjman View Post
Thanks for the rules reference. I wasn't doubting that it was a violation.

Phil's tone and volume was enough to startle me from 60 feet away. It was a heated moment, so I understand him wanting to take charge since he knew he was correct.

But Barsby wasn't putting, he was just milling about waiting to finish.
A player doesn't have to be in the act of throwing for a courtesy violation to be called. If someone aggressively yells at u while you're walking between holes you have the right call a courtesy violation on them. Really, caddies shouldn't get involved in an aggressive manner at all. Phil is a very well respected DGer and promoter and I'm not saying anything negatively toward him, but in this case, the best course of action would have been for the rest of the players to listen to Greg's concern, and then either show him in a rule book where he is incorrect, or have Ricky take a provisional, and then take the issue to the TD.

Of course hindsight is 20/20.