* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
mistake acknowledged :-)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Par Member

(what i was going to say was that it wouldn't be an issue since once those players had played a tournament they'd be no longer unrated and it wouldn't matter, but now that I think about it the PDGA doesn't keep or send to TDs ratings established in tournaments if the person has never been a member..) Were any of those winners repeat winners?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual Squishy View Post
(what i was going to say was that it wouldn't be an issue since once those players had played a tournament they'd be no longer unrated and it wouldn't matter, but now that I think about it the PDGA doesn't keep or send to TDs ratings established in tournaments if the person has never been a member..) Were any of those winners repeat winners?
I didn't notice, and I really don't see it as relevant. Even if every single one of those unrated rec winners was playing their first tournament, the problem remains that the rec rated players are being deprived of an opportunity to compete against similarly skilled players at least 42% of the time. In my view, they paid for something they didn't get. I know at least a few others who certainly feel that way.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Par Member

There's alot invoved there though that really can't be changed if a person is a truly unrated player.
Are the people who complain people who already know the winner and think that person should'nt have played that division in the first place? (and TDs cant go on hearsay so really, is it a person the TD already knows or has proof should be playing in a higher division.)
Or is the winner a total stranger and the complainers had their hats handed to them and feel it unfair because of that.
Was the winner truly playing at their normal skill level or did they have their hottest rounds of the summer in their first tournament?
I think it's probably just a result inherent in the starting division of anything maybe. IF the players do end up playing at the advanced level or even intermediate consistantly, they're probably not going to stay in rec for more then an event or two even if they're not PDGA members.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual Squishy View Post
There's alot invoved there though that really can't be changed if a person is a truly unrated player.
Are the people who complain people who already know the winner and think that person should'nt have played that division in the first place? (and TDs cant go on hearsay so really, is it a person the TD already knows or has proof should be playing in a higher division.)
Or is the winner a total stranger and the complainers had their hats handed to them and feel it unfair because of that.
Was the winner truly playing at their normal skill level or did they have their hottest rounds of the summer in their first tournament?
I think it's probably just a result inherent in the starting division of anything maybe. IF the players do end up playing at the advanced level or even intermediate consistantly, they're probably not going to stay in rec for more then an event or two even if they're not PDGA members.
There's a hidden factor in the ratings themselves, is that 900 rated player a player that throws 910s and 890s consistantly or a player that throws alot 950s and 850s, the latter can have wild win/loss ratios for tournaments and the former plods along in the same relative position from tournament to tournament. A player under the 970ish level can have some pretty wide scores in a season or be consistant as a rock.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 59
This makes total sense, i like this idea! Kudos DD
Old 03-06-2013, 12:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHFH
The bagging will never cease to be a problem. At my last event the winner of the rec division would of finished second in intermed. The intermed winner would of win advance. The top 3 rec would of been top 5 in intermed. I never understood why a person would bag in the trophy only division.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Par Member

Already had a house booked for worlds.. now with this BS .. i will not be goin to worlds .. for I will not pay over 1500 like i did last yr to travel and compete within a division that my RATING is at and not be able to play for anything .. when the top 20 of last yr we had I believe 8-10 players at 990 rating or above playing.. players that had won Big open tournys but didnt take the cash so they could play Am Worlds.. To allow these open players to play Am with those ratings and then tell us its trophy only.. Then they can kiss my @%% .. I hope they get a low turn out and I will be spreading the word to the crew I was goin to travel with.. What a joke
Old 03-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Par Member

I love the idea of not paying out 50%. What I dont like is when a TD says you get a player pack value worth more than your entry is always bogus. The put five sticker in $25 in value right there.. a shirt $25 more, yeah right, 3 discs @$60 come on, and a stool @$45 no I dont think so. The actual values are no where near what you get.

Last edited by 18Down; 03-06-2013 at 12:45 AM.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:23 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 19
DD for life. Rusco will be in the hall of fame someday!