Disc Golf Store
Old 03-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Bogey Member

Have the lower arm start to extend away from your right pec before your shoulders begin their second rotation. Im talking a fraction of a second before.

Telegraph your anhyzers.

Your form is great. I think that minor tweak in timing will give you more power.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopa View Post
Have the lower arm start to extend away from your right pec before your shoulders begin their second rotation. Im talking a fraction of a second before.

Telegraph your anhyzers.

Your form is great. I think that minor tweak in timing will give you more power.
I think you're saying I'm swinging a tad late?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Bogey Member

Yes your lower arm should start to extend before the shoulder turns. It should give you a harder hit.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHBH
Only thing I noticed, which JR on DGR helped me with, similarly to you lifted my left leg too early and straight up in the air, kicking it around ballerina style vs leaving it planted and kicking it forward on my follow through. Your standstill (last throw) would be the closest to correct as you leg doesn't appear to come up like the longer flat line drives. This added an easy 20-30 feet to my throws with less power and more accuracy but felt very weird at first. Paige Pierce, Wysocki Will, Jussi are good examples of this IMO. Really helped me for those longer-distance throws and control shots.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Plastic Counselor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I don't necessarily agree with that advice. Scott Stokely said elbow in is the biggest misconception in disc golf, the most important thing is to lead with the elbow. I've tried keeping the elbow to the hip and it hurts everytime, and don't get much distance. I think the important thing is to make sure you don't fully extend the elbow before release and don't try to throw 100%.
Same here! When I started playing someone tried to show me FH by keeping the arm oddly tucked into their body and it HURT after a few throws, plus was hard to get any real distance, just made horrible OAT. Now I start out elbow closer to body but extend through the throw keeping it ahead of my hand/wrist until the hit. Makes for a pretty effortless throw, looks a lot like Wysocki where he starts out close but arm is fully extended at the hit.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Only thing I noticed, which JR on DGR helped me with, similarly to you lifted my left leg too early and straight up in the air, kicking it around ballerina style vs leaving it planted and kicking it forward on my follow through. Your standstill (last throw) would be the closest to correct as you leg doesn't appear to come up like the longer flat line drives. This added an easy 20-30 feet to my throws with less power and more accuracy but felt very weird at first. Paige Pierce, Wysocki Will, Jussi are good examples of this IMO. Really helped me for those longer-distance throws and control shots.
I've been working on that forever, and I'm closer to Feldy with the rear leg although my rear knee never seems to drop down like the top throwers. I don't know if I'm waiting too long to fire the hip maybe?
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Plastic Counselor

same here.. I still don't have it quite right and try to remember it as well as pointing my @$$ more at the target line which together seem to help keep my foot from coming up early in the weight transfer. I have video where I look just like you, then a throw later look like paige pierce lol (well smaller @$$) I noticed feldy has a weird kick compared to everyone else and lifts but its a forward lift not bending up like ours does. I just watched some video of myself and the best throws you can really see the difference and the other ones are starting to look pretty silly! We can patent it, maybe the "Flamingo Follow-through?" sounds better then the "feldy kick" lol
Old 03-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 12
Nice video, I love the reverse, looks like you're catching a disc going 100mph. and with this video you are no longer the anonymous guy who is responsible for the majority of my distance increases.

That being said, it is funny I see this today after figuring out more of the rear hip thrust, which gave me teebird/eagle throws kissing 430 max and 400 ish on command.

The reason I say this is bc you mention your back knee not getting low. I tried to emulate will how he does that before knowing why it happens. Back to the point, for me today, I was thrusting my rear hip as close as I could right behind the disc as it came through, and on video it looked like my rear knee was getting lower than normal, by firing it sooner.

Idk if thats what you mean, but I wanted to try to help for all the help you have given me. nice vid again, looking smooth.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 12
My rear foot, kind of pivots to facing toward the basket when I'm pushing the hip through. Then sort of like a scrape of the ball of that foot, skateboard push feeling? before it bends backwards to 90, at its lowest point, which seems to counter weight the throwing arm as its coming around the front. It was kind of hard for me to tell from the video if this is whats happening for you.

Feel weird posting this to you bc I'm definitely more of an apprentice than a master lol

Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Thanks, I've heard guys talk about the skateboard push before, but me totally sucking at skateboarding it's a foreign idea to me. It's weird because I do it perfectly on my forehands having a strong baseball/throwing background, but RHBH footwork is the complete opposite and I have a hard time moving that direction. It's way better than it was, but obviously there's improvement to be had. I think I need to start throwing lefty FH to get the RHBH footwork better.