Old 02-24-2013, 03:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHBH
kingjames1014 needs help-Form analysis

This is my first video. this video was shot with a Nikon coolpix4800 digital camera-takes great pictures, but the video is grainy. i'll need to change my settings for my next attempt. I hope it is clear enough for analysis.

I made 2 videos. One from a side view and one from a rear view.
The discs thrown were as follows:
161g Z tye-dyed Avenger
169 GL River
178g Frist Run proton Axis
174 Neutron Ion

Here is the first video from the side:
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

The Second video is from behind. If you can see the Rocks in the fairway, they mark 100', 200' and 300' from the white tee.
I measured the distance on these throws:
Avenger- 228'
River- 240'
Axis- 222'
Ion - 150' (Severe OAT turned and burned)

Here is the Rear view:
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

I can see from the second video that i an not pulling back properly-rounding off under my left armpit instead of pulling straight back.
Please critique these videos and offer advice and positive feedback on what my problems are and what i can do to help fix them.

Oh and sidewinder22, if you post, could you please channel Foghorn Leghorn for your advice? My wife and I found that very entertaining and we miss that.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and assistance.
KJ
Old 02-24-2013, 06:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 88
Now lookit here son, you aren't using your hips, and you're curling your arm like you would throw a beach frisbee with lots of oat. I say, now I say you need to loosen up, let your hips swivel to bring your arm back and forth and learn to snap a disc. It's a complete conceptual change of throwing and it will be weird. Stick to throwing putters and mids until you start throwing them nice and flat 250' or so. Cue any technique video in here.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 PM
* Ace Member *

so focus on the hip turn and reachback- got it.
great! i get to watch every technique video ever made...again.
how's the footwork?

Last edited by kingjames1014; 02-24-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Very flat footed and balance behind your heels unless you are throwing rollers, son. This boy needs to learn to throw a standstill before hop scotch. Skip in to 2:30:
Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 PM
* Ace Member *

ok throw from a standstill and keep shoulders behind the hips slightly but not back on the heels.
wow i have lot to work on this week. im gonna play a c-tier saturday.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 28
Have you read through the "Maxing out @ 300ft..." thread? Many, many things to work on, but there is some great advice that can be focused on one at a time. (I'm on step 2 of 200 )

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums...hp?f=2&t=16139

ps: nice foghorn you got there Sidewinder
Old 02-24-2013, 09:32 PM
* Ace Member *

thanks! i suppose i have to get to 300' before i max out at 300'
Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 PM
* Ace Member *

i found this video on a standstill throw. is this a good example?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:48 PM
* Ace Member *

yep.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:35 AM
* Ace Member *

UPDATE:
I had been working all last week on what Sidewinder had suggested: Focusing on the reachback, firing the hip, and throwing from a standstill. i later incorporated a 3 step slow runup.

Yesterday i took what i was working on to KY to play 3 courses. Starting out, i was reverting back to how i was throwing before: chicken wing left arm and off balaced follow thru. i then focused on keeping my right arm behind my back almost like putting my left hand in my back pocket.

By hole 6 at Otter park i then focused on firing the right hip like i would if i were playing ball golf left-handed. And then it happened....

*snap*

I heard the audible sound as the disc was leaving my hand. i felt the disc pivot around my thumb and forefinger. the disc flew as i thought it shout have. It was a beautiful thing.

the rest of the day i threw the disc that way more often than not.Most of them smacked into a tree, but they looked good in the air before they it! On hole 13 at muldraugh, after 2 tree hits, i threw in a 90-100 shot for par with a Ridge. i was stoked!

I can really see a difference how the disc flies out of my hand now. Flat, no wobble. i almost aced hole 12 at Radcliff- beautiful shot with a River that almost went OB long. I would have been short before with a high speed driver.

i am excited for this spring so i can work harder on my driving