Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments

Old 03-10-2013, 04:18 AM

Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjzn6 View Post
You are very much so correct and you think you should get paid to play your best then go to crown point not emporia
Well anyway you look at it, Crown Point or Emporia, sounds like a donation if you just recieve a trophy in Kansas. You guys dont have to be scared because I want to win something more than a dust collector. What good is a trophy? So I can display it saying oh look at me, look how good I was once at this tournament. No people. 100 plus dollars just on entry fees should reward winners more than just a trophy and gag bag. Paying everyone back with junk just to enter saying thats where you money goes. Heck no. I don't like the way its heading. Paying your top winners with merchandise is why we pay a hefty fee. It's useable, sellable, and tradeable. That is the point some of you, that never win need to get. Of course I have no chance of placing like I would if I went to Crown Point I would be happy with players pack to say that I was there, but in the Am world I have a good chance of placing. I want to win merch, trophy, and title. Thats how it works. I dont expect anything just for showing up. Am I in the minority that values a hard earned dollar? I travel hours and spend tons of money on tourneys and have a blast just to play against other competative women. You guys have plenty to play against. We dont. Ill be there at worlds. You dont agree with me fine, But dont think I would donate my money for a trophy only tournament with a players pack in the future. I would rather donate it to the womens pro field and play against winners that want something for their efforts. 2014 Pittsburgh here I come.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 1
All of you complaining about not winning anything. Your a AM nuff said want to win stuff move up an play pro. Why do we live in a entitlement society.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto View Post
I still cannot wrap my head around some of you people. You are paying into a tournament. Tournament! Why would you ever be happy just to donate your money for "fun", "oppertunity to compete" You can do that for free at your home course!
It's not just we people, you know. In virtually every sport that comes to mind there are people who compete, often fiercely, in organized events without the expectation of payouts for winning.

The very distinction between an organized "Tournament!" and a friendly competition on my local course, is why I'm willing to pay for the chance to compete in a tournament.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Throwing Style: RHBH
I'm really confused by why some people on here think that because there's no "payout" there's nothing to win? Does the title of "World Champion" mean nothing? Does that not open doors to improve and expand your play to another level of competition? And if you win, you'll be getting a basket valued at $400+. Win and get something. Don't win, and you're not rewarded. There is competition among every division at Worlds, including the women's divisions. Maybe you all should spend more time working on your game so that you have a better chance to win than complaining about the payout model.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto View Post
I want to win merch, trophy, and title.
That's the difference between you and me. I don't want to win anything, I just want to win.

I'm not even playing AM Tournaments so that I can win those; I play tournaments and casual golf all so that I can get better so that I can someday compete in pro.

If your goal is to hang around in AM for a few years and win merchandise and prizes, then so be it. My goal is to get better so that I can compete to win in pro level tournaments.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allurex View Post
That's the difference between you and me. I don't want to win anything, I just want to win.
And you dare to call yourself a disc golfer.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:50 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 138
I compete to try to be the best in my division. I am a 52-yr-old Am grandmaster who's only been playing for 6 or 7 years, maybe 4+ seriously. Oh, how I wish I found this sport when my body was still very athletic!!! But I compete against the course and with myself -- not other players. I may measure myself (internally) against other players, but I compete for competition's sake itself.

I have improved to the point where recently I have begun to win some tournaments -- and must consider moving up; though I already and will even more so be competing with guys having 20-25+ years of experience on me once i do. And in my time in Am, I have often told the TD I'll catch up later (on the merch payout) -- or we'll square up on down the road. That's because I wasn't competing for the prizes, it was for the competition itself of the tournament setting, the tournament "pressure", the tournament courses, and the tournament situations/challenges, which simply aren't duplicated in local minis or causal play.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 53
So do basketball teams that enter AAU tournaments get 20 basketballs for winning?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:59 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOStheBOSS View Post
So do basketball teams that enter AAU tournaments get 20 basketballs for winning?
Yup. And every 5k pays out a pile of running shoes and stopwatches.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Yup. And every 5k pays out a pile of running shoes and stopwatches.
I just hate how the tournament scene has become what it is. People expect 100% payout to top 50%. Ridiculous