Disc Golf Center
Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
Another thing that may not come up in a forehand discussion is disc weight. You don't need the heaviest disc available to send a big forehand drive. Lighter weight discs can be thrown just as far, if not farther with less effort and arm strain. Even stepping down just a few grams can show a big difference.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: LHFH
I do have a blizzard champ destroyer. 155 or 156g. Good option?

I know it's best to practice/learn form with under stable discs, does the same apply to FH? My BuzzzSS should be a good instructor then right? My river and volt are slightly more stable, but far from OS, those would also be good to practice with?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:18 PM
www.salientdiscs.com

Hope this helps, I know I am gonna probably use it to help my forehand drives, but this is a high speed shot of Sarah Hokom driving. I am noticing 3 major things. Her prep, footwork, arm placement and release. Her prep is her holding that disc steady with her other hand on the angle she wants to release. Her footwork is not, I repeat not an X step, more like a shuffle to get her up to the front of the tee. and her arm placement. Her arm, is fully our stretched and when she releases she releases about a foot or 2 above the ground, allowing her release arm to follow through to her shoulder. Granted, not sure how far this shot went but I hope it helps you like I think it will help me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-qwjJBPVsw
Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Bogey Member

I also have been using a small x step, which I thought was going to help generate momentum with the turning of the hips, etc. which it may be, but I might be out of sync. In a sidearm clinic video by Sarah, she stressed the importance of the hit point, body movement all happening at the same time.

Should I go as far as removing the x step for now until I get the throw dialed in?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.6
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notverygood View Post
I do have a blizzard champ destroyer. 155 or 156g. Good option?

I know it's best to practice/learn form with under stable discs, does the same apply to FH? My BuzzzSS should be a good instructor then right? My river and volt are slightly more stable, but far from OS, those would also be good to practice with?
I flick with 160-162 gm. discs, currently Star Orcs, and am getting just over 300'[hey, I'm old, so this is good]. I'll flick my Z Buzzz if its under 150' but not too much farther as its a max-weight.

As for my step, I take about a half-step, no x-step. My distance is generated by waist/upper body torque and wrist snap.

Last edited by ohtobediscing; 03-13-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 65
Throwing Style: RHBH
Are you flipping discs? How are you throwing. Hyzerflips, straight, flex shots, hyzers, anhyzers?

The most important thing to a forehand is follow through. It helps with oat, speed control, and accuracy. Really need a video to critique

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=27383
Old 03-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 123
My advice is to make sure you hold the disc very firm. The advice that helped me the most is to hold the disc as if a large dog was trying to pull the disc away from your hand. Then the best advice I can give you that helps me get that 350-400ft range is I use a Champ Boss and I put some Anhyzer on it and rip it pretty much as hard as I can to get that extra S curve on it needed to push it out past 300. Get about a step and 1/2 into your run up to the tee, this helps also. But working on form is always key, you should be able to stand still and FH something around 300ft with the proper form, then work the other items I mentioned into the mix and you should be good. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Bogey Member

The longest throws I've had with my max D drivers, lace destroyer cannon etc, have been flex shots. Released anyhyzer, flies to my right (LHFH throw remember), flips up straight, then fades out left. Still only 300'

Also worries me that I have to use a flex shot to get out to only 300'
Old 03-13-2013, 02:10 PM
www.salientdiscs.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notverygood View Post
I also have been using a small x step, which I thought was going to help generate momentum with the turning of the hips, etc. which it may be, but I might be out of sync. In a sidearm clinic video by Sarah, she stressed the importance of the hit point, body movement all happening at the same time.

Should I go as far as removing the x step for now until I get the throw dialed in?
Can I get the link to that video?

Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Bogey Member

Skip to 16:30 or so

http://youtu.be/lUOq09T2q54