Old 03-13-2013, 04:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notverygood View Post
Skip to 16:30 or so

http://youtu.be/lUOq09T2q54
Wow I gotta tell ya, that video probably has been the most useful forehand and backhand. I finally see now how hips and the shift give you the power you want, not your arm. Same thing with forehand. you gotta have a medium low stable stance to get your hips into the movement of the disc and to get the power you want out of a drive. Going out to practice, ASAP!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: LHFH
It is a pretty decent video. Lots of good stuff from Niko, Dave and Sarah. I wish the FH segment was a bit longer/more in depth though.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notverygood View Post
It is a pretty decent video. Lots of good stuff from Niko, Dave and Sarah. I wish the FH segment was a bit longer/more in depth though.
Doesn't need to be, she taught everything about forehand into some very key points. Footwork, hitpoint, and release angle. The rest is knowing how the disc will react to said angle. I went out and threw yesterday and got my XCal to 350. my PD to 320, Got my x out warrior to 300. Hyzer flipping is fun
Old 03-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Bogey Member

Finally a video of my form. Self conscious as I thought it would look totally different than it does...
Looks like I'm rolling my wrist over A LOT, and very little follow through. Or is what looks like my wrist rolling over due to the nature of the power grip? Humpf

I also couldn't really edit the video, I would've liked to have down a slow-mo version, but without a desktop I'm limited to what I can do on my phone and iPad...sorry fellas

http://youtu.be/grji5QGVrl4

Next thing I noticed while throwing my fairways/mids was disc flutter. I didn't notice any with my max D drivers, but a ton with the slower discs. I tried all of the different sidearm grips I could think of thinking it could be related to not getting a clean release, same flutter.
I thought maybe it wasn't getting enough snap or spin so I focused on the "hit" or the snap with my wrist. Same flutter
Even at almost 0 arm speed and just wrist snap still flutter. Which leads me to believe it might be a serious case of OAT?
Even seriously focusing on keep everything flat and on the same plane, could not get rid of the flutter.
Any ideas, suggestions or things to try?

Thanks in advance for any and all critique/help. I threw so much yesterday evening in the field my arm is sore today.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
You're not putting much of your body into the throw, its a very quick and short snap which isn't going to result in a lot of distance.

Personally I would ditch the forehand and work on your backhand, much more potential there.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Bogey Member

Always an option, but I'd really like to get the FH dialed in. The more options the better
Old 03-15-2013, 08:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
Grip looks like your middle finger pad is not pressed against the rim, but into the flight plate. You want to push the rim out to the target from the finger pad.

Your weight is way back and planting too far forward/open. Your head should get over/near your front foot before the release so you can really whip the lower arm through. You are also tee-rexing/short arming the release with the elbow still majorly bent after release. Just make sure you don't fully extend the elbow before release.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Bogey Member

Awesome video. Haven't seen it yet so it's nice to hear another in depth explanation. Going to focus on making sure my grip is ok, and see if I can't use more arm/body. Planning on going out tomorrow I play a round, I'll see if I can throw a few low power shots before/after to concentrate on these things.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:50 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
You need to follow through with your arm. If you want an example of how your follow through should look like, look at a video of a pro baseball pitcher of the sidearm variety. By stopping your arm so suddenly, you are flirting with injury. Turning your hips back further and then rotating them through with your throw will add alot of distance. By doing that, you will also be able to get the same distance with less effort.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Bogey Member

Thanks for the input guys! Tried to focus on some of those things out today. Broke the 300' barrier several times with the Lace, 325-350' est. focusing on shifting my upper body forward/more upright, more hip movement with my throw, and a follow through.

Making progress anyways. Will keep ironing things out then get another video