Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
The force is strong with this one. Should feel more sling shot from toe to finger. Now go read snap 2009 and the closed shoulder drill, and the secret technique.
Again. Dang it.

Well, maybe it'll make more sense this time around.

Practiced driving at the local non disc golf park by my house. Somehow lost my custom dyed Captain America disc in a wide open field. Still haven't figured out how I did that.

Well, my hips are snapping nicely most of the time. I get my timing messed up a lot and miss the whole chain and I'm getting a lot of nose up. And I've got of accuracy issues. But when I hit it....oh man..is it nice. Out of 50-60 throws I hit maybe 15 pretty good and 5 of them...HOLY CRAP. One in particular had to tie my record for longest throw (about 350-360)

I think I will still go back and practicing from the hit back.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 189
Also focus on when you are accelerating. Grab a towel in your right hand (let it hang freely).....Go to throw it (but don't let go). When you reach back is that towel parallel to the ground or perpendicular (still hanging freely)? If its up in the air on reachback then you are accelerating too early and you need to start that acceleration later.

Basically what it boils down to, is that you don't need to "kill it" to make it go far. If you have everything in the right place at the right time its effortless........Every move is predicated by the next.....it can be frusterating, but it is well worth it in the long run.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicRib View Post
Also focus on when you are accelerating. Grab a towel in your right hand (let it hang freely).....Go to throw it (but don't let go). When you reach back is that towel parallel to the ground or perpendicular (still hanging freely)? If its up in the air on reachback then you are accelerating too early and you need to start that acceleration later.

Basically what it boils down to, is that you don't need to "kill it" to make it go far. If you have everything in the right place at the right time its effortless........Every move is predicated by the next.....it can be frusterating, but it is well worth it in the long run.
It's funny. I've been doing the towel drill at home a lot and can get a pretty good snap but because of lack of room I always do it with no run up or step. Just turn, whip, snap. I haven't quite got the same timing with a disc in my hand but it does give me a much better idea of when to accelerate.

I see a lot of posts saying you should not start an active arm pull until you're in the right pec position but for me that a little late. I start pulling when it gets to my left pec, basically when my arm/elbow create a backwards "L". For me that's a little earlier than what I see most recommend but that's what gives me the best snap.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Ok, I'm in my home office working on my towel snap and I just figured out something. When I turn my hip/core to start my pull, followed by my shoulders if I pause with my shoulders pointing towards the target and then actively start the pull with my arm I'm generating a LOT of towel snap.

It like a music beat. If I'm going a 4 count..1-2-3-4..da..da.da...core/turn..shoulder snap to pause - BAM! The core/turn is a fraction of a second of my shoulder rotation. It's like tapping your finger on a table top two times real fast. Ba-bam. Core-shoulders.

At that point hips are open, shoulder is pointing at the basket, elbow is a bit ahead of my shoulder in the lead, disc is middle of my left pec almost center of my chest.

The I pull. SN-AP!

Most of the time. Sometimes I miss the timing and it doesn't hit good...Other times I nail it and it's a sounds like Indiana Jones cracking his whip.

Now, if only I can translate that into my actual drive.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfowler View Post
It's funny. I've been doing the towel drill at home a lot and can get a pretty good snap but because of lack of room I always do it with no run up or step. Just turn, whip, snap. I haven't quite got the same timing with a disc in my hand but it does give me a much better idea of when to accelerate.

I see a lot of posts saying you should not start an active arm pull until you're in the right pec position but for me that a little late. I start pulling when it gets to my left pec, basically when my arm/elbow create a backwards "L". For me that's a little earlier than what I see most recommend but that's what gives me the best snap.
I know what towel test you are referring to, but I'm more trying to get at where that towel is at when you start any forward movement from full reachback?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicRib View Post
I know what towel test you are referring to, but I'm more trying to get at where that towel is at when you start any forward movement from full reachback?
It's hanging straight down and I have no active arm pull until my fist is at my left pec. Until then it's hanging down. There's a little momentum from the hip/core turn. Starting at full reach back it goes maybe

1----2----2----2----8-9-10.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Thought I'd post a little update.

I played two rounds last weekend taking out my x-step and any run up. It was pretty bad. It messed up my timing something fierce and with a reach back from a standstill I kept over rotating and pulling my shot right.

I did break down put my x-step back in on the next round but I kept it very slow. Didn't shoot that much better. Tough outing. And since then I've developed a nasty case of OAT. I'm turning over everything. Everything is just out of wack.

So today I go do some field work and I'm still turning over stuff. When I do the right pec drill it comes out nice and straight but when I add any reach back, timing and rotating go to crap.

After about an hour I was trying to hyzer flip my Fuse and River since they were showing my bad form the most. I was trying to get them to go straight. I don't know what made me try this but I've been bouncing back and forth between a power grip and the climo grip. I've been using the climo grip 95% of the time the last 6 months since I discovered it but had been playing with the power grip since I'm reworking my throw anyway.

Out of frustration I just decided to forget everything and just throw for a bit and for some reason I moved my thumb. I usually keep it more towards the edge of the rim. I moved it inwards about an inch to an inch and a half. Suddenly no OAT and I'm throwing laser beams. I had a lot more control and that thumb more out on the faceplate kept the disc level and/or made it easier to keep it on the line I was trying to release on.

Suddenly my old favorite disc, my Avenger SS, is flying straight again. It had become my roller disc because I could not throw it without turning it over. So, it seems some of my problem is good ol' fashion OAT. I'm going to try to get some video this weekend of the different thumb placement to see the difference.

On another note I also started to cock my wrist just a hair when I reach back. Helps keep the disc on the line and keeps it close to my chest. I can also feel the disc better if that makes sense. Going to play a few round tomorrow after work. Can't wait to see how I throw.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Also this.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Bogey Member

Funny that you mentioned thumb placement. I am having the same issue with everything turning over recently. I switched grips as well. I also realized I had moved my thumb close to the edge in hopes of fixing some small nose up issues. I realize the turnovers happened after my thumb placement change. Going out in a few hours and I am gonna try your fix, thanks!