Old 03-18-2013, 03:34 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
Throwing Style: RHBH
I had a beer with my lunch in the parking lot between rounds and a few of the employees walked past and said hi or waved without saying anything, if it is a policy it's not strictly enforced.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 04:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 144
Send a message via AIM to New013
Seriously somebody film a round here.... Im here doing late night bs work and a lakeside vid would be an amazing break from crunching numbers.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 33
Courses Played: 117
Ahh, finally back at a full-sized keyboard. Anyway, this is also interesting from their website: "Absolutely, positively no smoking on the Selah Ranch property". http://www.selahranch.com/east-texas...ervations.html

I wonder if the 220-some competitors and "200-300" volunteers for Am World Dubs know this?

We didn't have any smokers in our group, so no worries. But we did see (and pick up) 5 cig butts on the Lakeside #1 tee.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:57 AM
* Ace Member *

I'll hopefully get reviews done in the next couple days, but Lakeside is easily a 5/5. It might be a 6 if it weren't for hole #14.

Creekside is probably a 5 for me. So many things to consider: How it compares to all courses in the world, how it compares to "real golf" Texas ranch courses (San Saba, Wimberley, Moody's) and other "real golf" courses I've played (Renny as an example), how it compares to a theoretical "perfect" course, how it compares to Lakeside, enjoyment (or lack thereof) factor, etc.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 56
I cant wait for AWDs, gonna be awesome. Any tips for either course, i wont get to see it until thursday late or friday day
Old 03-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 131
AWD? Like 4x4s?

If i was gonna do it again i would've probably played creekside first and then lakeside. Bring some trash discs to throw at the island. Also bring bungy cords to attach your bag to the cart.

And stop in for a bag of ice when you go through mt. vernon. The ice makers have never been able to keep up...
Old 03-18-2013, 11:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc430 View Post
AWD? Like 4x4s?

If i was gonna do it again i would've probably played creekside first and then lakeside. Bring some trash discs to throw at the island. Also bring bungy cords to attach your bag to the cart.

And stop in for a bag of ice when you go through mt. vernon. The ice makers have never been able to keep up...
Ha no, Am World Dubs.

Thanks for tips. Bringing a few tubs, with backups and tradeables. Hopefull i wont need any backups.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
Any tips for either course
Depends on how good you are and how far you throw. Our group is a bunch of 920-980 golfers with normal golf drives of probably 320-350 --- so with that:

#14 Lakeside is a questionable hole -- a whole bunch of extremely tight gaps for the first throw, and then a disconnected whole bunch of extremely tight gaps for the second shot. For a cheap shot at a 3, use the largest gap to the WAY right to throw down into the ravine. From there you have a reasonably easy big-hyzer to the basket.

#12 and #13 Creekside each have cheater hyzer routes. #12's is a little bushy, but very do-able, especially in doubles. The benefit is getting you higher up the hill to make your second shot easier. Just depends on the wind how much you need this one. Same with #13. It's a cute little anny sorta over some water. But for us the wind was blowing huge from the right, making that anny less than easy. So we were able to throw an overstable driver very flat and very low way out to the right and let it hyzer-blow back to the pin.

Again, depending on how far you throw, #9 Creek you want to be farther right than you think on your drive. The pin is far left around the corner, and if you don't get far enough right, the angle makes it harder to get there. This becomes pretty obvious after playing it one time.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Ha, I hadn't even seen the latest reviews of Lakeside #14 when I wrote about the ravine bailout above. This is from the latest review: "After many rounds, we concluded that the best spot to throw your second throw from was off in a ditch to the right side."

Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 131
^Yup. It took me 2-3 times to play it before i took that line. No question for RHBH its one of the only lines with a decent chance at three.