Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 118
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
Yeah, I always fall back on Satn's wonderful 3300 ft Elon course that has long tees at 4400. Wooded with just enough elevation and generous-enough fairways so that it's interesting without being too difficult. Lack of any trouble (thorny shule, water, etc.) is also pretty key.

Wooded holes 150-190 -- open holes 180-250. Until you've played lots of rounds with children (age 7-12) and true newbs that aren't 16-35 year old males, you probably don't have an appreciation for this type of course.

We've all seen crappy "beginner" courses that are little more than wide-open 150ft shots. I'm not talking about making a course like that.
Add me to the list of people who think that a course like this would be a great add to the IDGC. I'm picturing an old-school, designed for lids type course like the ones Ed himself traveled around to design and install way back in the earliest days of the pole-hole. Could even try to dig up Mach1s to use for targets.

It would be a great nod to the origins of the sport and serve as a great red/beginner level course. I'd even argue that that course should be the one with Ed's name on it, renaming the current Steady Ed course after someone or something else.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
There is a red level course already on Steady Ed which many haven't played since it finally got rubber tee pads. But I could see another dual Blue/Red tee course in a more open area with less elevation.
I disagree. There should be a stand alone, beginner-friendly course for families, first-timers, very old-timers, and the like. School-groups, scouts, special needs folks can all make use of such a course and the resources at the IDGC should allow for a stand-alone course. Too often we focus on the championship end of things when the game really needs to be more available and family friendly to grow.

"Integrating" a short course into a longer one makes for long walks and the different speeds of play across layouts can cause a certain amount of extra playing through.

Think of the Par 3 course at Augusta National.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I agree. I think Elon's combination of courses is terrific. And there's little danger of wide open holes at IDGC.

I'd limit the course counts at complexes to entirely separate courses---not overlapping, alternate pins or baskets, shared portions of courses, reversed layouts, or anything other configurations. Those are all valuable, but really muddle the issue of what is a "complex", let alone the biggest.
Ditto on all points.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:25 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 572
Yes, a red tee course is fine and that could work well on the peninsula. But as a membership org, the PDGA would likely see multiple tee courses on the same amount of property as serving more members. However, we're still waiting for the shorter white tees on Jackson so it will take time.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 168
Quote:
As I recall, the hilltop at Highbridge is 260 acres and the campground area adds 120 acres. The park at the IDGC is around 900 acres with currently 90 being used for the three courses, four if you count minigolf. The PDGA has the option to build two more course there in the future eventually bringing it to five plus the minigolf course.
Any way that one could go about requesting or submitting a proposal to design one of these two additional courses? Or might that be by invite only? It sure would be amazing to be invited to design along side the other elite designers at the IDGC!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Yes, a red tee course is fine and that could work well on the peninsula. But as a membership org, the PDGA would likely see multiple tee courses on the same amount of property as serving more members. However, we're still waiting for the shorter white tees on Jackson so it will take time.
As a member organization, they should really put more focus on growing the sports in elementary schools. I think a green or red tee designed course would be perfect.

Like someone else mentioned, until you play will younger children or those truly new to the game that aren't 16-35 year-old men, you don't really realize what is missing.

I play more rounds with my 7 and 8 year-old than anyone else. Now they're troopers and will play any course that Daddy wants to play but we find ourselves having to designate spots for short tees for them. My boys are both dues paying members of the PDGA. They deserve a course the can enjoy too.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:05 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 572
I think designers for the next two IDGC courses are tentatively planned but you could always contact HQ to get on the list. Since there's no funding for those courses, securing a grant or donating $25K could go a long way toward getting the opportunity to design it.