Old 03-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHFH
If you have a stronger wind it can, but if you're seeing it all the time, you have a little angle up and it takes some finishing speed of the drive. I was really guilty of this for a long time.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Also, I wasn't sure about where your thumb location was, but air bounces happen much easier when the thumb is towards the center of the disc. If that's the case, try edging the thumb more towards the rim. That's why I have trouble throwing with a fan grip.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 79
....you have zero reachback with the hips and shoulders, and planting open/rotated before transferring weight. Keep everything loose and fluid, let your hips bring your arm back and forth.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 31
Thanks sidewinder. I'm working on trying to loosen up just doesn't come very natural for me. I let my arms hang at my side and rotate my hips and just let my arms swing back and forth to loosen up and throw sometimes.

As for the air bounce that you guys are talking about I keep my thumb in line against the rim of the disc. I really only see the air bounce your talking about during the first throw on the video.

Doubles season is about to start so ill be throwing with some guys that can in person show me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for all the feedback though guys. And keep it coming I appreciate it all! This is what I love about DGCR, and the disc golf community. Everyone is so friendly, I'm so glad I found this sport. I've been playing for about 8 months seriously now.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: LHBH
I just hate that folks just start throwing terms like "air bounce shot" around like its a real shot, not just an issue with form. Thousands of players drive with the nose up by design and on accident and get 0 bounce out of the shot as previously implied. An "Air Bounce" is what occurs while the disc is in flight....the swirling wing and pockets of air with different densities can often cause the disc to rise and fall despite the angle of release, this is an example of an "Air Bounce". This "Air bounce" effect is more likely to happen to this disc if the nose angle is elevated, however it is not always going to happen when throws like this happen.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: LHBH
This is an old school air bounce shot.........16.11

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

you can clearly see the disc fly downwards then rise up
http://youtu.be/cEP9N6nKJ8E?t=16m11s

Last edited by BENFTS; 03-20-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENFTS View Post
This is an old school air bounce shot.........16.11

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

you can clearly see the disc fly downwards then rise up
http://youtu.be/cEP9N6nKJ8E?t=16m11s
I'm glad someone posted this ... t othrow an air bounce you need to have the nose up a touch and push down hard with your thumb on release ... try it with a catch frisbee, not a disc golf driver. the guy in the video is a friend of mine whos been throwing like that since the 70's so it kinda works for him; but ask him about his elbow these days
Old 03-20-2013, 07:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchoate7 View Post
Thanks sidewinder. I'm working on trying to loosen up just doesn't come very natural for me. I let my arms hang at my side and rotate my hips and just let my arms swing back and forth to loosen up and throw sometimes.

As for the air bounce that you guys are talking about I keep my thumb in line against the rim of the disc. I really only see the air bounce your talking about during the first throw on the video.

Doubles season is about to start so ill be throwing with some guys that can in person show me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for all the feedback though guys. And keep it coming I appreciate it all! This is what I love about DGCR, and the disc golf community. Everyone is so friendly, I'm so glad I found this sport. I've been playing for about 8 months seriously now.
See if you can find Jake Azato, he seems to play intermittently, cool short bald dude that throws bombs! There's other guys in de that can help as well but just don't throw as far. Mike Moser is deadly accurate 400' and in, and putts lights out!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENFTS View Post
I just hate that folks just start throwing terms like "air bounce shot" around like its a real shot, not just an issue with form. Thousands of players drive with the nose up by design and on accident and get 0 bounce out of the shot as previously implied. An "Air Bounce" is what occurs while the disc is in flight....the swirling wing and pockets of air with different densities can often cause the disc to rise and fall despite the angle of release, this is an example of an "Air Bounce". This "Air bounce" effect is more likely to happen to this disc if the nose angle is elevated, however it is not always going to happen when throws like this happen.
The flaw I saw was that he was pushing the disc down (swooping the arm), and throwing nose up. It's how you throw an air bounce "friendly" shot.

It's a throw I use, and I've never known an ultimate player to call it anything other than an air bounce shot.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchoate7 View Post
It's most evident on the first shot. Same things are happening in the other throws, just not as bad.