Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual Squishy View Post
"Now with sponsorship spelled correctly since 6:27 pm."
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Professionals or "pros", should play for money. Ams should play for trophy's.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:26 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 213
so are they going to give a trophy to the guy who finishes 27th place (assuming 27th place is in the top 25 % [25% was a random percentage]) . Who wants to display a 27th place trophy?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Not I prerube. Not I.

I don't mind playing for a trophy. I have competed in Advanced all last year and am competing in Pro this year but not accepting cash yet for the sake of Am Worlds.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
so are they going to give a trophy to the guy who finishes 27th place (assuming 27th place is in the top 25 % [25% was a random percentage]) . Who wants to display a 27th place trophy?
Why award someone a trophy for finishing in 27th place? When I ran track in school, I received several plaques for placing in the top three, but I didn't receive money, running shoes or other gear with monetary value attached to it, because I wasn't a professional.

Reply not interested in starting this debate back up, just stating my position.

Last edited by Shipley; 03-22-2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Additional
Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
I, as an amatuer player, care. I don't mind kicking some of my entry fee to a pro purse (isn't that what ace pools are for LOL?) But if you are asking me to pay 50 bucks or more for a shot at only a trophy, and the players package is scrappy or sub-par, just so that the Pros can get another 5 bucks or whatever per Am to their purse, then that's where the problem comes in.
So you dont realy care about trophy vs cash payout, but you care about having the chance to get your money back if you win your division.

Ace pool is not for funding the pros, amateurs can throw aces aswell.

We pay 50 bucks here in switzerland just for being allowed to play the tournament at all. They dont organise themself, and the gear isnt for free either. I would never dream of having the cheek to demand for something in return except to be able to play the course that weekend...

But hey, I guess the more you have the more you become a cheapskate.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
So you dont realy care about trophy vs cash payout, but you care about having the chance to get your money back if you win your division.

Ace pool is not for funding the pros, amateurs can throw aces aswell.

We pay 50 bucks here in switzerland just for being allowed to play the tournament at all. They dont organise themself, and the gear isnt for free either. I would never dream of having the cheek to demand for something in return except to be able to play the course that weekend...

But hey, I guess the more you have the more you become a cheapskate.
What's your damage, sports fan? You seem to take personal offends with me, which is silly. First off, LOL stands for "Laugh Out Loud" which means what I said about ace pools was a joke.

Are courses in Switzerland all pay-to-play? If so, kudos, because I bet it keeps out much of the riff-raff we have to deal with here in America. If not, why would you pay 50 bucks to play a course you could normally play for free?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipley View Post
Why award someone a trophy for finishing in 27th place? When I ran track in school, I received several plaques for placing in the top three, but I didn't receive money, running shoes or other gear with monetary value attached to it, because I wasn't a professional.

Reply not interested in starting this debate back up, just stating my position.
That is the stupidest last sentence I have ever read. "I am going to say my piece and do not care what anyone else thinks"

Currently you get some sort of recognition for placing in a high percentage. So this True-Amateurism is really only rewarding the top 2-3 guys out a a field of 100. I totally understand why they are doing this. It just seems odd to reduce the prize percentage buy so much.

I think Trophy only is great, but if they do that then they need to break it up more so more trophies are available. The more winners, the happier people will be.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 740
Payouts used to be top 25%. It would seem that has increased to a higher percentage (I have not played official tournies in some time). Tourny numbers have grown tremendously since those days; so, it must be something that is working.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 41
Whoops...submitted before I finished.

And how is asking for something being cheeky? Its a Goddamn PDGA rule, guy. I didn't make the rule, but if you say you wouldn't enjoy a Players Pack for a tourney, you're likely lying. I love having Merch from tourneys with their stamp on it....and, as I said before, I often buy additional merchandise from the tourney. With my money. That I work for.

You seem to have greatly misconstrued what I said, and then decided to insult me like I'm some freeloader who has never worked for anything in my life. I'm not some punk kid who uses daddy's money to pay for a tournament and them whines when I don't get more than I put in just because I also like to throw discs. I'm a 30 year-old man with a wife, daughter and a home. We are a single income family. So yes, if you're asking me to shell out 50 bucks (or more) for a tournament that only gives out 3 trophies and no players packs and is held on a course I can play anytime I want for free, I'm not going to play. And many, many other players in my boat will also skip it.

Now, if you ask me to pay 20 bucks or less for that same scenario, then you bet I'll be there to au and know that a good chunk of that is going to support the course /club, whatever. And you'll get people turning out in droves. THAT is what's good for the sport. To be a true amatuer sport, it has to be way more affordable. High School sports (which were used as a previous example) are affordable. You pay for a sports physical (usually around 50 bucks and is good for a year...hey, just like a PDGA membership!) No one pays to play any event. They are paid for by school funds...usury like (in theroy) a tournammet could be paid for by sponsors. That makes it a cost-free event.

I'm simplifying things of course, but my points stand and are valid.

As for your snippy little comment about being a cheapskate because I want to get my value back from competition...Kant that EXACTLY WHAT THE OPEN DIVISION IS TRYING TO DO?

Last edited by AndyJB; 03-22-2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: typo