#31  
Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 PM
RShott RShott is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
My two cents....

Am should be trophy only.

Pro should be sliding scale entry fee based on rating. Except for NTs.
I agree with this. I for one do not care about getting discs, I am set on my bag and the discs that I throw, so I would just end up with a bunch of plastic sitting in my garage.

I would prefer to play for money, but wouldn't want to pay pro entry fees when I know that 95 percent of the time I won't even come close to cashing. However, if the entry fee for pro was on a sliding scale I would definitely play pro because I would have the chance to win some money (even if the odds are low), but the entry fee would be low enough that I wouldn't care about the fact that most of the time I would not cash.

It would kinda be like playing the lottery -- the odds of me winning are very low, but a ticket is cheap, so what the hell, I'll play because it is fun and you never know, one day I might get lucky and win.

I think the combination of trophy only ams and sliding scale pros, would definitely motivate more people to move up to pro, which would in turn increase pro playing fields and the purse.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 PM
iHitTree's Avatar
iHitTree iHitTree is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philly
Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: LHFH
Posts: 23
I play in PDGA tournaments either Advanced or Intermediate for plastic. I play for the player packs, the mercy voucher pay outs. Obviously I play for fun, but I spend about $1000 per year on tournaments as a way to have, fun, improve my game, meet competitive players and movers/shakers in DG, and to acquire a library of discs. I look at it like: pay $20-40 for a tournament and come out with a disc is better than simply buying plastic.

I would be upset to compete for trophies only and would severely curtail my tournament play...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-22-2013, 09:23 PM
iHitTree's Avatar
iHitTree iHitTree is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philly
Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: LHFH
Posts: 23
Merch* voucher payouts
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-22-2013, 09:26 PM
New013's Avatar
New013 New013 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,720
Send a message via AIM to New013
TDs should continue to have the option to run their tourney any way they see fit when it comes to prizes.

...and I think for the foreseeable future they will. Let the free market decide what players want.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-22-2013, 09:42 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Posts: 7,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
TDs should continue to have the option to run their tourney any way they see fit when it comes to prizes.

...and I think for the foreseeable future they will. Let the free market decide what players want.
This concept seems to bug a lot of people.

*

Anyway, to the O.P., not every slope is slippery, and I doubt this AmWorlds decision is leading to a "True Amateurism" mandate on lower tiers. Note that it doesn't apply to NTs at all, which are pro-only events.

If there's a change down at the B- and C-tier level, it'll be because TDs tried a different financial structure, and players liked it.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 PM
prerube's Avatar
prerube prerube is offline
The Man, the Myth, the Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Clinton, MD
Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 211
Posts: 11,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipley View Post
Why award someone a trophy for finishing in 27th place? When I ran track in school, I received several plaques for placing in the top three, but I didn't receive money, running shoes or other gear with monetary value attached to it, because I wasn't a professional.

Reply not interested in starting this debate back up, just stating my position.
When you ran track you raced 12 people in distance events, maybe a pool of 36 in sprints. Then their were awards for every single event. 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 4x100, 4x400, 4x200, 4x800, shot, disc, LG, TJ, HJ, ect.

That is over 45 awards, thanks for providing such a poor analogy that helped me support my point.

Reply not interested because you don't know what you are talking about, just showing you you are wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 PM
3j0hn's Avatar
3j0hn 3j0hn is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SoCal
Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 84
Posts: 225
The other two sports that I have experience with:

In rock climbing competitions, entry fees are $45 and 99% of people get a t-shirt and a "players pack" or a chance at a prize draw. 1% get big prizes or money. These competitions are popular around here, and will draw 200 people for a day.

In marathons, thousands of people pay $100+ to run with the top 5-10 open men and women winning a lot of money (thousands of dollars). Everyone else gets a shirt, and a participation metal. And, possibly a chance at a small prize if they win their age protected division.

The typical disc golf AM model of most of the entry fee being split across 50% of the field for "funny money" prizes is really weird in context of these other sports.

Whether or not we ever get to see more top Pros be able to live off their Disc golf winnings, I would really like to see more top Tournament Directors being able to make a living running great events.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-23-2013, 12:41 AM
Casual Squishy Casual Squishy is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3j0hn View Post
The other two sports that I have experience with:

In rock climbing competitions, entry fees are $45 and 99% of people get a t-shirt and a "players pack" or a chance at a prize draw. 1% get big prizes or money. These competitions are popular around here, and will draw 200 people for a day.

In marathons, thousands of people pay $100+ to run with the top 5-10 open men and women winning a lot of money (thousands of dollars). Everyone else gets a shirt, and a participation metal. And, possibly a chance at a small prize if they win their age protected division.

The typical disc golf AM model of most of the entry fee being split across 50% of the field for "funny money" prizes is really weird in context of these other sports.
Whether or not we ever get to see more top Pros be able to live off their Disc golf winnings, I would really like to see more top Tournament Directors being able to make a living running great events.
I think the payout scales have changed at least a few times over the years. Not what sure the current "cut" level is in something like pro golf maybe somewhere around top third? But, it's much simpler and easier when you're paying 20-25 people in cash. DG these days you can have to payout 30-40 people in a one day tournament if it's mostly ams which places a burden on TDs to provide enough good merch selection to make players happy.. Which can be tough under many circumstances. If your TD's not already a dealer (Which is why DD, Spike Hyzer, etc. type companies are probably doing quite well in the "Traveling tour for hire" department) he either has to hold fundraisers enough in advance to buy a supply, have money from the local club for it, or find someone local to work out the plastic payouts for them. It's that or take cash out of his own pocket and hope to break even. Today, with so many discs by so many companies, it's getting harder and harder for a large field to find anything they want or need at smaller tournaments. It's probably a wash, as it always seems like at least half of TDs also sell plastic, but it's probably a serious drawback for newer TDs in some areas. If I were to have to run a tournament today I'd probably buy the player pack discs and just do the am payouts in pdga memberships and gas cards. (ok, probably not as we have several good local dealers.. but maybe..)
Back to the pdga payout tables:
Even if nothing else changed it still might be good to keep up with the times and implement a more sliding scale, the current formula of could just be changed to the number of players in a division instead of the tier of the event.
something like: 10 or less players 50% 11-30 40% 31-50 33% 51+ 25% etc.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-23-2013, 01:58 AM
GT Chris's Avatar
GT Chris GT Chris is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 86
Posts: 383
Couple things to add here. Moving from Atlanta, GA to Austin, TX I've noticed that players are much more interested in playing for money out here. As someone who is an amateur and will always be an amateur, that really turned me off of league play. It seems like the only reason some people play is to try and hit the $500 ace pot, which to me is against the spirit of the game. I don't see weekend golf as a source of income, and I don't think any other amateur player should either. If I'm playing to see if I can beat you and the course, and you are playing for gas money to put in your car, then we don't need to be playing in the same event.

None of my most enjoyable rounds have had money on the line. I've played over a dozen college tournaments with no cash prizes, usually just a trophy or medals for the top team, and I wouldn't prefer them any other way. When I pay entry fees in regular tournaments, I view that as a sunk cost paying for the privilege of playing in an organized competition against other players. If I win anything I consider it a bonus, because I'm not counting on getting anything back. I'm aware that I'm part of a minority, but that doesn't mean players like me don't exist.
Reply With Quote
 

  #40  
Old 03-23-2013, 02:02 AM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
Posts: 6,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
When you ran track you raced 12 people in distance events, maybe a pool of 36 in sprints. Then their were awards for every single event. 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 4x100, 4x400, 4x200, 4x800, shot, disc, LG, TJ, HJ, ect.

That is over 45 awards, thanks for providing such a poor analogy that helped me support my point.

Reply not interested because you don't know what you are talking about, just showing you you are wrong.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.