#51  
Old 03-23-2013, 10:07 AM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Posts: 7,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashwa View Post
Well, to say that almost every other amateur sport thrives without paying winners is wrong and it brings up another point that I have been meaning to introduce. There are probably hundreds of sports that use the true amateur system that do NOT thrive. The problem is that most of us probably haven't heard of them or are unfamiliar with their payout structure because they aren't thriving. Therefore, we have kind of a "biased sample" in that we can only base these decisions and opinions on the successful sports we have heard of.
True, but all that come to my mind and all I've been associated with, do perfectly well without paying amateurs. If something works in 99 out of 100 situations, I wouldn't spend a lot of time figuring out how it worked in 99; I'd consider why it didn't work in one.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-23-2013, 10:32 AM
rat106's Avatar
rat106 rat106 is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lapoint, UT
Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 39
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
That is the stupidest last sentence I have ever read. "I am going to say my piece and do not care what anyone else thinks"

Currently you get some sort of recognition for placing in a high percentage. So this True-Amateurism is really only rewarding the top 2-3 guys out a a field of 100. I totally understand why they are doing this. It just seems odd to reduce the prize percentage buy so much.

I think Trophy only is great, but if they do that then they need to break it up more so more trophies are available. The more winners, the happier people will be.
So why not just give everyone that participates a trophy, just like in peewee soccer, then everyones a winner.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-23-2013, 11:16 AM
RKelly RKelly is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 188
This is just too funny. People complaining about "amateurism". "Oh no, I won't be able to place 3rd in intermediate and win $100 of merch (and I'll bitch about it only being worth $60), even though at least 9 other players had better scores." It really should be lower entry fee, small player's pack and trophies to top 3 per division. Or play pro if you want to win money. I know not everyone is good enough to win money in the pro divisions, but just like every other sport, EVERYONE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH! (This includes me). When I first started, I couldn't believe that I could win stuff for not sucking as much as someone else. People on here complaining that if they can't win stuff then they will quit playing. Wow. They don't want nice player's packs for everyone, yet they want to "win" prizes even if 5-10-20-50 people played better than them. Sounds like they do think that everyone's entitled.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Casual Squishy Casual Squishy is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKelly View Post
This is just too funny. People complaining about "amateurism". "Oh no, I won't be able to place 3rd in intermediate and win $100 of merch (and I'll bitch about it only being worth $60), even though at least 9 other players had better scores." It really should be lower entry fee, small player's pack and trophies to top 3 per division. Or play pro if you want to win money. I know not everyone is good enough to win money in the pro divisions, but just like every other sport, EVERYONE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH! (This includes me). When I first started, I couldn't believe that I could win stuff for not sucking as much as someone else. People on here complaining that if they can't win stuff then they will quit playing. Wow. They don't want nice player's packs for everyone, yet they want to "win" prizes even if 5-10-20-50 people played better than them. Sounds like they do think that everyone's entitled.
That's amazing,not only did you totally miss the point, not one word of your response had anything at all to do with the original subject. Bet you didn't google a single thing.
Amateurism keeps the cream of the crop small and elite. Big outside money sports can afford to take that route because big money sports players don't want more competition. DG can't even support 100 people making a living off it, embracing amateurism makes it harder to grow that end. We know what your opinion is, now go read a book and come back with some facts. I'm always open to changing my mind if there's evidence that I'm wrong. Is anyone else?

Last edited by Casual Squishy; 03-23-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-23-2013, 12:45 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Posts: 7,665
I'm a non-partisan. I'm neither offended by our blasphemous use of the word "amateur", nor convinced of the sanctity of Am payouts.

But I'm not convinced that a different financial model for our lower divisions would significantly change disc golf's growth, either. The only benchmark we have is the system that's been prominent, and our historic growth rates. And the appearance that an awful lot of players who are involved now, like the current system. But who's to say that, over time, a low-entry, no-payout system would produce greater growth? Or less?
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-23-2013, 01:11 PM
who-dat's Avatar
who-dat who-dat is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: pensacola,FL
Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit View Post
As an am - trophy only is fine with me as long as entry fees reflect that. No money should ever be taken from am entries to pay pro purses. If the pro purse cannot sustain itself then better sponsorships are needed,
This.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Shipley Shipley is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Courses Played: 3
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
When you ran track you raced 12 people in distance events, maybe a pool of 36 in sprints. Then their were awards for every single event. 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 4x100, 4x400, 4x200, 4x800, shot, disc, LG, TJ, HJ, ect.

That is over 45 awards, thanks for providing such a poor analogy that helped me support my point.

Reply not interested because you don't know what you are talking about, just showing you you are wrong.
The events you listed are all separate events, thus the large number of trophy's awarded. Disc golf tournaments can also have separate events such as putting, distance, freestyle etc. increasing the number of awards handed out. However awards for a disc golf tournament do not need to award 27th place as you suggested.
If you require compensation for paying a fee to compete in an amateur event, move up to pro or just play casual Disc Golf with friends.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-23-2013, 02:23 PM
archmage archmage is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oulu, Finland
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashwa View Post
Why do you think this will help grow the sport?
I feel the amateur entry fees are too high just because they have to be high enough to provide the payout for half the field, and that turns many people away from tournaments. I know many people that I have tried to get into tournaments, telling them how fun it is etc, turn away when I have mentioned the amount of the entry fee. Of course the entry fee doesn't feel that much if you know you're going to end up in the prizes, as then you're pretty much playing for free anyway or even getting a profit, but for those who don't believe they can get to the prizes, the price of entry feels high, and they end up missing the tournament experiences. This leads to less people joining tournaments, and maybe some of them could have become really good at it or really enjoy it, but they never got in because of the barrier of entry.

Of course in places where tournaments fill up anyway this probably doesn't feel like an important issue, but I feel the more people we can get playing tournaments, the more disc golf will grow as a sport and not just pastime.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 03-23-2013, 02:49 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Posts: 7,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by archmage View Post
I feel the amateur entry fees are too high just because they have to be high enough to provide the payout for half the field, and that turns many people away from tournaments. I know many people that I have tried to get into tournaments, telling them how fun it is etc, turn away when I have mentioned the amount of the entry fee. Of course the entry fee doesn't feel that much if you know you're going to end up in the prizes, as then you're pretty much playing for free anyway or even getting a profit, but for those who don't believe they can get to the prizes, the price of entry feels high, and they end up missing the tournament experiences. This leads to less people joining tournaments, and maybe some of them could have become really good at it or really enjoy it, but they never got in because of the barrier of entry.

Of course in places where tournaments fill up anyway this probably doesn't feel like an important issue, but I feel the more people we can get playing tournaments, the more disc golf will grow as a sport and not just pastime.
Not quite right. The high entry fees are needed to have a richer payout. You could pay out half the field, regardless of the amount of entry. But payouts are definitely the tail that wags the entry fee dog.

It's hard to measure how many people declined to ever start playing tournaments because of the amount of entries, against how many continued playing tournaments because they won something.

Certainly places where tournaments fill weren't always so, and got there under this system.
Reply With Quote
 

  #60  
Old 03-23-2013, 03:02 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Posts: 7,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
It's hard to measure how many people declined to ever start playing tournaments because of the amount of entries, against how many continued playing tournaments because they won something.
Of course, you can try this experiment. In an area where tournaments are of the high entry/high payout model, someone could run a low-entry, no-payout event. See how many new players join, versus how many established players don't show.

It won't prove anything, but will give you a perspective on the desires of a majority of Am disc golfers
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.