Old 03-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
0-10 mph- Adjust hyzer as necessary.
10-20 mph- Throw a more (headwind) or less (tailwind) stable disc. Adjust hyzer as necessary.
20+ mph- Disc up (headwind) or down(tailwind), throw a more (headwind) or less (tailwind) stable disc, and adjust hyzer as necessary.

Those are just rules of thumb though. It all comes down to experience. I play in flatland Illinois so I've developed pretty good instincts when I play in heavy winds.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 175
I'm with the others here - once the wind picks up over about 10mph I start changing discs. Under 10mph usually adjusting release angles is all that's necessary. I played a tourney with winds sustained 15-20 and gusts 30-35 last fall and at that point it's just a matter of taking your most overstable disc and throwing it at the angle that penetrates the wind best and trying to get as close to the basket on the favorable side of the wind as possible to avoid bogeys. I was mostly throwing my Destroyer, Predator or Zone that day. I was using a flat top Spirit (most overstable disc ever, in my opinion) for upshots because it just wants to dive to the ground even in those winds, so it was easier.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Good experienced-based info here. Here's mine.

I pair my discs with something overstable/stable with something stable/understable. Eagles and Teebirds. Rocs/Hornets with Comets. Rhynos and Pures/Aviars. The stable/understable discs are my defaults - Teebirds and Comets.

Any headwind north of high single digits - 8+ MPH, me thinks - I start to put more hyzer on my throws. If that is not sufficient, and it often is not, I disc to something more overstable. DX Teebirds, especially sub-150 weights, have so much glide that wind catches the disc enough to overcome the HSS and starts flipping it. When I experience that, Eagles come out and that tends to be 10+ MPH. Anything north of 15 MPH and I'm reaching for Firebird.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 56
Play in the wind.

I don't have any cool numbers to put in here. I just walk up to the teepad and find a line. If I walked up to the pad with the wrong disc, I get a different one.

When it starts blowing 20+, that's when I get really excited about field work. (Oooh, I did get a cool number to put in here.)
Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 2
sometimes there isn't anything you can do about the wind. I can recall playing a round a last season where I was faced with a perfect 25+mph headwind. I choose to throw a very beefy nuke OS and it turned and burned to the right. I've also had my opto XXX turnover from wind but never turn and burn

Old 03-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj1001 View Post
sometimes there isn't anything you can do about the wind. I can recall playing a round a last season where I was faced with a perfect 25+mph headwind. I choose to throw a very beefy nuke OS and it turned and burned to the right. I've also had my opto XXX turnover from wind but never turn and burn
OAT

E-Mac plays in Kansas; he never had a problem with an OS burning.