Old 03-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: LHBH
saw this and thought of this thread. at the ten minute mark(or there a bouts) Big Jerm shows how to throw forehand properly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=i9-bYfMuKQI
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2013, 05:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatsmith View Post
saw this and thought of this thread. at the ten minute mark(or there a bouts) Big Jerm shows how to throw forehand properly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=i9-bYfMuKQI
He's talking about mid range approach shots, not throwing for distance.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
I'm not one to hate on Avery, that's not what this is, but recently I've been seeing huge increases in my FH.

I would say two major things changed. #1, I switched to a 2 finger "control grip" (just make a peace sign with your middle finger on the rim) and it helped so much. I realized that when I used the grip that you are currently using, I was able to grip the disc in a way that made it super easy to throw it with OAT and not focus on having a smooth plane.

#2, follow through. I never realized how much smoothing out my throws could change my FH. I started throwing FH shots with Buzzz's from a stand still and now I can put those out to at least 250' probably closer to 275-300' ish. Focusing on a nice smooth motion leading into the throw and intentionally following through with my hand really helped. I even started following through on the X-step. I know a lot of FH players use a hop step but I changed mine to be just like an X-step for a (LHBH) for my (RHFH).

If you have any other specific questions on form please let me know, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

For reference, I can hit 350-375 on the course and I've broken 400' a few times (RHFH).
Old 04-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: LHFH
Thanks for all the replies, I have a lot to work on! Based on some of sidewinders posts I'm concerned about my run up/stance but not to sure how to solve it.

Sounds like my stance is too far apart when I plant and too open? By open I assume my hips rotated too far around instead of more in line with my throw?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Bogey Member

Still need a new video of my form, but I'm now getting my max distance discs out to 330' +/- verified by uDisc.
Focusing a lot on a good follow through and trying to get my hip turn and body in time with my hit. However still not near the distance I feel these discs should be getting.
Going to play again this afternoon, if I don't get to the course I'm going to a field at least. It's exciting making progress but frustrating not making the progress I'm hoping for.

To be continued
Old 04-09-2013, 12:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notverygood View Post
Still need a new video of my form, but I'm now getting my max distance discs out to 330' +/- verified by uDisc.
Focusing a lot on a good follow through and trying to get my hip turn and body in time with my hit. However still not near the distance I feel these discs should be getting.
Going to play again this afternoon, if I don't get to the course I'm going to a field at least. It's exciting making progress but frustrating not making the progress I'm hoping for.

To be continued
Another thing you could do is try lighter weight discs if you are staying in the upper 170s. I am trying out a couple light weight volts in addition to my heavier ones to see if I can bomb the lighter weights further
Old 04-10-2013, 01:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
idk if this will help. angle that i released the disc was huge for me. and height. other than form flaws that might help u.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Bogey Member

Only real lightweight disc I have is a blizz destroyer. Only for hard left tail wind drives really. NukeSS has been my go to disc for max D lately.

The lace gets out there, but takes up a lot of room.
NukeSS goes straiiiight then slight fade at the end.

I've been playing as much as I can lately and been throwing several discs with each shot which has been great practice. Unfortunately my second shot is usually right on. A good thing that I'm able to realize my first shots mistake and correct it, but a bad thing that I'm not able to produce on the first shot. (Potential misquote?)

With my tons of practice lately is coming the extra distance. Came very close to the 400' mark with the NukeSS although it was a slight downhill shot which could've added to the distance.

More practice and a video of form is in order

Old 02-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Bogey Member

Figured I would dig up this thread to update. The NukeSS has been replaced by the Tern for now. I seem to be turning the Nuke over and it just doesn't have enough room/time to fade back. Too many tree hits probably.

I've really been trying to throw less high speed stuff too. Been throwing my Amp and Volt a lot and getting similar distance...

My distance has plateaued it seems around the 330' avg. mark, which I can deal with. My biggest struggle now is consistency. I've day I'll be right on. Can make the disc go where I want, other days it's like I've never played before. A good portion is mental I'm sure, after one or two bad shots I do get frustrated.

I'm afraid that I'm reading and watching too much. Every time I go to play I'm over thinking what to do...