Old 03-28-2013, 02:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
I'm interested to hear your defense of that statement. The "On Axis" is determined by your body and the disc. You could throw a disc in space, and it would still have an axis it's being moved about. That axis has a pole, just like earth, which is the point where the lever's edge juxtaposed to the disc is connected to the body.

Hang on...

it's the axis of disc rotation, no? So, the axis in question is perp to the disc, through the center of the disc. Torque is force applied in a circular motion perpendicular to an axis.

So off-axis torque means that part of the rotational force you put on the disc is NOT perpendicular to the axis of the disc, regardless of how your body's leaning.

If this isn't right, then I'm banning myself from this thread, to avoid confusion.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatsmith View Post
Great. So once I learn to throw without OAT, I'm going to want to learn to throw with OAT? sigh.
Don't worry, OAT only exists on the internet.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 134
Quote:
I'll re-reiterate. Figure out throwing on 1 angle first.
OP here Dan. I can't tell if you are talking down to me or if you are really just pointing out the obvious. I'm fine with what Dave was teaching the first 10 minutes in this video Dan. I am able to execute those types of shots, and do so on a weekly basis playing in the Advanced division. But after a few times of him saying "does that make sense" talking about the 2 angles... and it still didn't to me... I posted here to see what DGCR had to say about it.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro71 View Post
Hang on...

it's the axis of disc rotation, no? So, the axis in question is perp to the disc, through the center of the disc. Torque is force applied in a circular motion perpendicular to an axis.

So off-axis torque means that part of the rotational force you put on the disc is NOT perpendicular to the axis of the disc, regardless of how your body's leaning.

If this isn't right, then I'm banning myself from this thread, to avoid confusion.
I think we need visual aids ...

I think about force creating axes, not objects or positions ... so I don't think I can answer that in a way that would make sense to you.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 54
I think a lot of people are talking about OAT when they really just mean an "anhyzer release angle".

If you throw an overstable disc on an anny, you are able to keep the disc low to the ground which works great for low ceiling drives that need an s-curve line shape. This is a signature throw of mine.

Some people say you are putting intentional OAT on that type of throw...which sounds ridiculous. Just call it an ANHYZER and be done with it.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Quote:
I think we need visual aids ...

I think about force creating axes, not objects or positions ... so I don't think I can answer that in a way that would make sense to you.
Get ur MS paint on bruh

Anhyzer is an angle of release Pablo.

Last edited by Pwingles; 03-28-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Anhyzer is an angle of release Pablo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo.diablo View Post
"anhyzer release angle"
For real!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuces View Post
OP here Dan. I can't tell if you are talking down to me or if you are really just pointing out the obvious. I'm fine with what Dave was teaching the first 10 minutes in this video Dan. I am able to execute those types of shots, and do so on a weekly basis playing in the Advanced division. But after a few times of him saying "does that make sense" talking about the 2 angles... and it still didn't to me... I posted here to see what DGCR had to say about it.
While you started the thread, no post I make will be directed solely at you. I thought the way the thread was headed, it needed to be re-reiterated. So that other readers don't get the impression this is a basic movement/fundamental to the game.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo.diablo View Post
For real!
Fo ril

Youre suggesting that you take something that doesnt have to be oat'd to perform, and just call it oat. Makes no sense.

The angle of release, and overall stability of a disc are different. Just because you throw a disc on an anny and it didnt finish right, doesnt mean you oat'd, also doesnt mean you didnt hit it.

Last edited by Pwingles; 03-28-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Eagle Member

Exactly opposite amigo, I'm saying quit calling anhyzer release angles "OAT". I think people are getting this backwards quite often.

When I throw, I take OAT into consideration exactly NEVER. I just say I torqued the throw, and to please stop, and oh god why can't I just hyzer again.

Last edited by pablo.diablo; 03-28-2013 at 03:48 PM.