Old 03-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHFH
I generally rock all MVP rounds. I still have a few Destroyers in my bag for heavy winds, and one Vulcan that I have a love/hate relationship with and pull out mostly on windless days.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:45 PM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Heres my mostly MVP bag

Drivers:
DD Bio Trespass - Works like a destroyer for over-stable distance shots
Prodigy Proto D4 - Great disc for turnovers that don't burn and always comes back at the verry end, i LOVE it as my under-stable driver slot.

Fairways:
MVP Shock - over-stable, great for up to extreme winds, my new runs i throw have 0 turn, sometimes it seems like they have 0.5 HSS.
MVP Volt - slightly overstable, when powered down still flys great and goes dead straight with healthy forward penetrating fade and gets good skips. Powered up it has an awesome S curve for mega sneaky distance that the forward penetrating fade pushes even further at the end. BEST DRIVER IN THE BAG
Lat64 GL River 175g - turn over under-stable, nothing beats the river for its amazing glide, control and late turn that gets me through those tricky gaps. just an amazing disc, the AMP just doesn't compete with it, but the amp really isnt very "under-stable" imo, it just holds anny for a while.

Midrange:
MVP Vector (High PLH) - over-stable, This thing turns almost right out of the gate, its flat, but has freakish high PLH and fights wind for me all day up to moderate winds easily.
MVP Vector (Normal eclipse, beat in) - slightly overstable, holds a neutral straight line for 80% of its flight with 0 turn, then fades softly at the end. my go to when i want to power up a midrange to go straight without it turning at all.
MVP Axis (Fresh Eclipse) - Flys neutral to slightly over-stable lines
MVP Axis (Eclipse, Beat in) - This used to be my go-to end all for straight neutral to under-stable lines.. now i use the tangent, but keep this in the bag because i know how to work it so well.
MVP Neutron Tangent - Best disc I have ever used for straight neutral to under-stable lines, way easier to use than the axis for these types of shots and has, amazingly, great wind resistance for its stability. I have been parking more holes with huge anhyzers than ever before.. my player rating is going up this year for sure.

Putters:
3x MVP Ion (Eclipse, soft proton, neutron) - Beast mode, better than my old challengers and wizards at everything. I can drive with them, putt with them.. just don't tell your competition about them

I love MVP.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 43
I currently carry every MVP mold but the Anode.

I have a XXX that is even more OS than the Shock that I enjoy for shorter OS drives than the Shock does. Used to be used for headwind drives often but the Shock is my go to stiff headwind driver for most shots now.

I added a Zone recently for shorter overstable duties and approach shots with enough headwind to flip an ion or vector.

I have a trio of Quasars, fresh and beefy, seasoned and speed 13 eagle x style, and beat to Katana flippy. They cover my max D needs.

I could do work with an all MVP bag but these give me a little more D and a few more controlled options.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 9
I throw an all mvp bag when I go to the Air Zoo. In it I have two fr vectors an eclipse vector a Neutron axis avolt and an anode. There isnt a hole on that course that bag cant handle. Ill post pics when I get home.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 14
Anyone think that a river would be a solid addition?
I love my amp but it seems really stable at lower speeds so its difficult to throw that smooth right turning line. Them again, the axis can handle it pretty well.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassidy1990 View Post
I love my amp but it seems really stable at lower speeds so its difficult to throw that smooth right turning line. Them again, the axis can handle it pretty well.
There's a lot of freak Amps out there, but I think the only advantage to having a River would be the glide. But if that's the sellling point, then a Saint could replace your Volts or Shocks.

Like I said before, its all about personal preference. I think moat players COULD do an all MVP bag, but everyone likes their own options.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassidy1990 View Post
I recently switched from Rivers to Underworlds, and have totally drunk the Kool Aid: they're awesome discs. At least as glidey as the River, but a tick or two more US, especially the Tournament ones. Great for low power turnover drives.

Edit to add something a bit more topic-relevant: as a relative newbie who maxes out a little over 300', I've avoided the new MVP drivers since they definitely didn't seem geared towards someone of my ability level. I tried an Anode, but really disliked the way the overmold's rigidity felt in my hand. The Tangent seems like something I'd like, but I'm committed to Comets.

MVP sure gets a lot of love on these boards, though, so I'm sure they're doing something right. Their drivers just don't strike me as beginner-friendly.

Last edited by Qikly; 03-29-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 43
Why not? Amp seems like it would be, and most my more casual playing buddies who throw around 275-300 seem to do well with my Volts.

Either way for a smooth right turn at shorter distances I like a Tangent thrown hard and flat, or a slight anny, or a Volt flick, or depending on the D a Volt thrown bh hard, flat and low, and let it laser right up there.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:34 AM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 17
There seems to be a good portion of people who are not willing to even consider trying an MVP disc. As if they see an over-mold and they think its bad, as if it will separate, or it will get beat up fast. (Even though they have proven to be one of the most durable plastics on the market) And even if they do try it, they don't even throw it well or give it a real chance, its as if they WANT the disc to fly badly, so they throw it badly to make the disc look bad, they get a sense of satisfaction by discarding anything they don't throw as garbage.

I'm thankfully not one of those people, i try everything and throw what works best for me.

I can understand people being comfortable with what they have thrown for a long time though, trust me, it was hard letting go of all my Eagles i had stocked up.. but one day i just said i need to choose the disc that works better for me and let go of my investment in discs that weren't helping me get better.

The discs that improved my form most was the Ion and Axis. (Even though it can hide form issues)

I think most of it is just learning to throw a new disc after being more experienced, it gives you a different perspective when learning the disc that you didn't have with the old ones. This builds new understandings and better muscle memory because your building on prior knowledge and understanding of disc flight.

MVP has been the most intuitive of the discs i have tried, i think it has something to do with the weight in the rim making it more gyroscopic and "locking" into lines, holding those lines longer? I'm not quite sure.

A new disc golfer will not get the effect from MVP that an experienced thrower will though, it takes some snap and proper form with little to no OAT and MVP discs come alive.. as im sure ANY disc would when thrown properly, but MVP discs seem to reach a whole new level and do things i cant imagine doing with other molds, when i pick a target, the disc hits where i was aiming, and i know its going to hit the target as soon as it leaves my hand.

Once you go MVP and commit, other discs don't fly the same.

Last edited by in4d; 03-29-2013 at 04:38 AM.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 27
My girlfriend loves to disc golf too, but she lacks a bit of the power I have and doesn't really like the idea of "researching" and "practicing" a proper technique. So she throws with quite a bit of inconsistency.

That being said I've never seen her throw with more consistent power and accuracy than she does with an amp. It seems like it's a fantastic disc for slower/less powerful arms...once they get to a point where the 150 class discs are burning even when brand new.