Old 03-29-2013, 11:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
My point: If you can't go for the main green from the tee (due to skill or conditions), then laying up to the short peninsula still isn't a gimme 3. So I don't understand why it's OB.

Yes, in good conditions for a good player, the layup would be an easy 3. But in that case, they're going for the basket off the tee anyway.
He said during the player meeting saturday AM that it was to encourage people to play like a man.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
I had to layup on the left to the short tee throwing FIVE b/c my first two shots went into the drink. Only then did I realize I could throw over to the short tee, as I had no other options left.

The part that sucked was that you couldn't take a drop from the island off a tee-shot that landed near the pin but rolled in (it's all sloped towards water). Because NORMALLY playing regular golf rules, you'd obviously get the drop. But for the tourney, no. It is what it is. The 20-mph headwind did not help.

My partner and I did not know about the ruling until we got to the hole so we had no strategy in place to go around the pond if one of us didn't make it. We both just assumed to throw for the island. That was the only really bad hole we had in our last round and we carded a double-circle 8 which is why we missed the cut for the Final 9. So whatever, lesson learned. Next year I know what to do.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.6
Courses Played: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo.diablo View Post

The part that sucked was that you couldn't take a drop from the island off a tee-shot that landed near the pin but rolled in (it's all sloped towards water). Because NORMALLY playing regular golf rules, you'd obviously get the drop. But for the tourney, no.
If you hit the basket peninsula (or flew over it) you didn't get your next lie from on the peninsula?

I take it that's a special OB rule for the tourney (based on your comment)? I don't keep up with PDGA rules, so I'm pretty ignorant here.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 54
Exactly, it was a special ruling just for the tourney. My partner landed 20' from the pin and caught an edge and the unluckiest damn roll barely into the H2O. So instead of taking a drop and putting, he re-teed...three more into the Lake. Then he quit the hole and I had to finish it on my own.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
I had to layup on the left to the short tee throwing FIVE b/c my first two shots went into the drink. Only then did I realize I could throw over to the short tee, as I had no other options left.

The part that sucked was that you couldn't take a drop from the island off a tee-shot that landed near the pin but rolled in (it's all sloped towards water). Because NORMALLY playing regular golf rules, you'd obviously get the drop. But for the tourney, no. It is what it is. The 20-mph headwind did not help.

My partner and I did not know about the ruling until we got to the hole so we had no strategy in place to go around the pond if one of us didn't make it. We both just assumed to throw for the island. That was the only really bad hole we had in our last round and we carded a double-circle 8 which is why we missed the cut for the Final 9. So whatever, lesson learned. Next year I know what to do.
I pinned it sat in the headwind, we 3'd it sunday, very lucky, lots of teams shot double digits on it for the weekend
Old 03-29-2013, 12:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhouck View Post
Rodney, here's the tee sign for Creekside #18, blue tee.

As with all the signs, we made the "fairway" a lighter green. The OB areas on the near peninsula and behind the basket are clearly labeled, no?

Lots of room to lay up, and even to play around the pond, though that's not all shown.
If it's not on the tee sign, it doesn't exist?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Exactly, it was a special ruling just for the tourney. My partner landed 20' from the pin and caught an edge and the unluckiest damn roll barely into the H2O. So instead of taking a drop and putting, he re-teed...three more into the Lake. Then he quit the hole and I had to finish it on my own.
Ok, this may be a slight shift from the topic, but what *really* is the function of these kinds of gimmicks? Yes, they make a hole tougher.. but they also make a hole more random. If the goal is to produce a high(er) correlation coefficient between player rating and round score, these types of artificial difficulty-increasing tourney rules in my experience do just the opposite. Even very high-rated players can occasionally get bit, and lower-skilled players may get lucky and come through totally unscathed while their equally-rated compatriots get 10's.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
Having players throw from the previous lie when going OB is an option the designer or TD can apply to a particular hole design for tournament play. Per the 2013 rule 804.04(3), the PDGA Tour Manager must be informed if the TD wants this restriction. Before 2013, it was at the discretion of the TD/Designer without PDGA Approval.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 187
A slight adjustment, to see if this makes the go-around option more clear.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Creekside 18 shifted.jpg (107.5 KB, 122 views)

Old 03-29-2013, 01:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
A slight adjustment to make the peninsula in play (and remove the "you can't go there because I say so and I'm your dad" mando mentality):

Woops - I just realized I forgot to remove the original location of the Red tee (it should not be there any more)

It do not know if the shout out to the big arms (380') messes with the mix of that aspect of the course.....but I'll be scoring spread would work out very well for Blue. And, I really like the additional layup choices (each with their own risk/reward) that are added in this config.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SelahCS18.jpg (24.9 KB, 275 views)