Old 03-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDarkHorse View Post
It's not the competitiveness that turns me off, it's the exclusion and/or the rudeness.

It's the same way with the pot guys. I don't necessarily mind that you're smoking on the course, but I do think it's unfortunate that it means that people feel like they have to hide from unknown players for fear of being narced on.
It's like with anything, it depends on the players.

ALso, the smaller the community, the more involving they are. Here in switzerland, you just have to show up with a disc in your hand and everybody will be your best friend ever and explain you to the moon and back.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
It's the same way with the pot guys. I don't necessarily mind that you're smoking on the course, but I do think it's unfortunate that it means that people feel like they have to hide from unknown players for fear of being narced on. (not to mention the fact that outsiders are going to have a hard time taking a sport seriously that such a significant portion of the population likes to do it while under the influence and/or intoxicated... like darts or bowling)
TBH I've played ball golf with dozens and dozens of country club members over the past 10 years and I would say the same percentage or higher of them are either drunk, smoking weed, or sniffing coke - the main difference is a lower percentage of them smoke weed, but more of them get drunk and/or sniff coke. People seem to take ball golf seriously still though. The reason is that they aren't getting drunk or sniffing coke during tournaments, just like in disc golf where smoking cigs is even against the rules now.

Americans will get drunk or high doing any single player sport.

Last edited by Tmart; 03-29-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Lol, I don't regularly go out of my way to help people, because people are playing for different reasons. If someone asks for simple tips, I'll give em some. I don't figure anyone likes being judged and critiqued when they just play casually lol. My brother and I do it to each other and ruin each others day lol.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmart View Post
...Americans will get drunk or high doing anything.
FTFY
Old 03-29-2013, 05:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 1
^^^Truth
Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Par Member

Quote:

I was also hoping for a little more "let's help out the new guy" reception, but instead everybody kind of kept to their little groups. At one point on the course, my group and another group (I don't think they were ams, but I'm not sure, we were never introduced!) ended up throwing at the same basket from different tees. It was extremely windy, so when I picked up my putter I held it for about 10 seconds during a big gust cause I didn't want to try to putt into that. I turned to the other group waiting and said apologetically "sorry, I'm gonna wait out this gust" to which the guy in front responded sternly "watch your time".

One thing you should find is a Random Doubles League. If your mini was singles play than you are not going to get the reception you desire, they are competing against you and most likely get focused on their game not yours.

In doubles you get randomly paired with other players and share a bond during the round b/c you are on a team rooting for one another. Tips just naturally happen during this time from my experience. It should only take a couple of holes for someone to help critique your game but they have to see you throw for this to happen, give it some time.

Now I have played in places where the "groups" were not made at random and only your pair is determined randomly. Like you said in the OP, groups of players stick to their little "clique" and his detracts from any welcoming feel.

Try other parks and other local events and I guarantee you will find someone better than you willing to help. Good luck and don't let this one mini experience represent disc golf in a poor light.

p.s. Buy a disc golf shirt to get rid of that "Cop" image. lol
Old 03-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
Like anything, some of the folks you meet along the way are cool, and some are not. I was made aware early on that the camaraderie you might feel for fellow dg'ers is often a 1 way street, and it ain't necessarily one big happy family.

Big deal. It's nice to have a cluster of friends to play with, and that's good enough for me.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
FYI...many of the better players usually won't offer you help, because some people get offended by it. Someone told me the other day, that they thought we were kind of *******s because we have our own "pro clique" and keep to ourselves. The reality is that we have been playing together for a long time and become good friends. There is always wave after wave of new guys that we just don't know or play with. Unless the new guys actually approach us and ask for help, we have no idea that they are looking for help, or even know who they are. However, when someone put them self out there, we are always welcoming and helpful. Most guys I know take it as a compliment to be asked for pointers.
This is very true. It makes me feel really good when someone asks me for pointers. Don't be afraid to ask, you shouldn't expect a pro to come up and just start pointing out the flaws in your game.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 31
Are there any random dubs here in Austin? If so I want to join too...

Old 03-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: LHBH
Looks like there was a doubles mini yesterday at Wilco. I'll have to look out for that.