Old 03-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 38
I had a worlds stamp 175 Champ Archon that was very flippy and a 168 and 171 sparkle Q Astra that flew nothing like the roller champ archon and more like a seasoned wraith with less fade. My 168 had some turn on a shallow hyzer flip at 380' on a low line while the 171 was stable straight with late fade on a similar line. If you throw 280' with a valk, I'd recommend sticking with the valk until you can get it another 50' further unless you need a disc that will finish left or handle a little headwind. Sorry, I don't throw much pro plastic so I can't speak to how their base plastic flies.

Also, yea for a company that doesn't get enough love here.

Edit: Q Astra is a big overlap with my fresh star Orcs.

Last edited by 7ontheline; 03-29-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:56 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 14
10 feet extra would be worth it if it was consistent, why not get an extra 10ft distance?

A few holes on my course are around 280-315 ft long, so 290 vs 280 is big difference. I could potentially double my birdy rate on those holes. 35 ft putt vs 25ft is huge, I sink significantly more putts at 25 ft then 35 feet.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:12 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
BCDan- for people like you and me, higher speed discs do not equate to much further distance when comparing the astra(archon) to your valkarie or beat in orc. The problem with faster discs is that they generally are more nose sensitive and in my experience i cannot get the same accuracy of a speed 12 disc than I get with a speed 9 or even speed 7. I throw on average a little bit further than you. I throw my speed 7 discs only a bit shorter than a high speed driver due to technique and nose angle issues, but my accuracy with a high speed driver is worse. I may throe it farther, but it usually ends farther from where i want it to go. I get better scores with my fairway drivers and my speed 9 drivers than i do with the highspeed drivers. I say you should work on technique and learn to get the discs you own out further with better accuracy.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:15 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psicko View Post
BCDan- for people like you and me, higher speed discs do not equate to much further distance when comparing the astra(archon) to your valkarie or beat in orc. The problem with faster discs is that they generally are more nose sensitive and in my experience i cannot get the same accuracy of a speed 12 disc than I get with a speed 9 or even speed 7. I throw on average a little bit further than you. I throw my speed 7 discs only a bit shorter than a high speed driver due to technique and nose angle issues, but my accuracy with a high speed driver is worse. I may throe it farther, but it usually ends farther from where i want it to go. I get better scores with my fairway drivers and my speed 9 drivers than i do with the highspeed drivers. I say you should work on technique and learn to get the discs you own out further with better accuracy.
We'll I'm going to get some lightweight (166 grams) Millennium Plastic Astras and find out. My Valkyries are around 170 grams and champion plastic.

The lower weight combined with the Millenium plastic will get me further distance I'm hypothesizing. I suppose I could get pro valkyries in lightweight, but this is fun and the disc might be perfect for a couple specific holes I have in mind.

I'll report my findings. Two holes I think it can excel on are a slight uphill hole, and an extrem downhill hole.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDan View Post

I'll report my findings. Two holes I think it can excel on are a slight uphill hole, and an extrem downhill hole.
I always have better luck on uphill holes with understable discs which I fear the Astra will not turn/flip to flat for a 280' valk thrower. I throw a flippy qms for short uphills, a fever to tight long uphill tunnels, and a beat silly orc for flexing s-curve uphills. If the uphill shot you have in mind has some OB on the right then I might consider something stable/overstable like an Astra.