Old 03-04-2013, 01:58 AM

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: RHBH
Need Distance

If anyone can offer some tips on what i can do to increase my distance that would be awesome. I have been playing for many years and can throw accurate shots but i truly need some major work and achieving more distances. On mid to short courses i do well, however, on longer courses the drives are causing me strokes. If anyone else has had this problem and found a way that worked for them to correct it i would greatly appreciate some advice on something i can do. Sorry i have no pictures to demonstrate my current technique, mainly just looking for what works for you.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 56
Maxing out at 300'
Old 03-31-2013, 07:07 AM
Par Member

Hi Jason, I'll give it a shot. I've taught ball golf for over 10 years. 2 months into disc golf, have gotten a buzzz to go from 150 feet to about 270 feet.

So here's what worked for me:

Don't step on the gas too early. Your weight needs to shift into (not over) the forward leg. The forward leg needs to stablize the powerful drive from the hips and core. This takes more time than you think. Maintain spine angle (or the athletic position) and let it rip. Don't spin out or turn past the hit.

Hope this helps. It's difficult to give advice without seeing your swing but this worked for me.

If this doesn't help, work on the fundamentals. Believe it or not, most problems are solved in the grip and posture (spine angle), but everyone wants to work on coil and release.

Good luck

Old 03-31-2013, 01:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 24
The best bet would for you to make a video of yourself driving, and post it here. That way people can see what you are doing wrong with your form, and give you help to improve it.

Are you driving standstill, x step, or full run up? How far are you throwing various discs?

I know when I took a few years off from playing and came back, my driving was atrocious. I went back to standstill driving, and working on my form. I know I throw my discs much farther when I am focusing on a good throw, rather than trying to focus on the distance by strong arming it.