Disc Golf Store
Old 04-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake911 View Post
Wow, some people really get serious huh? I had a really long post ready, and decided it wasn't worth it.

It just seems that if you take it this serious, and get pissed at people using the park for fun, then you need to re-analyze why you play, and where you play.
^this.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 72
Quote:
It just seems that if you take it this serious, and get pissed at people using the park for fun, then you need to re-analyze why you play, and where you play.
Using the park for your own enjoyment in your own way is fine. If that means hitting the course with just your Pulsar, go for it.

The problem is when you begin to interfere with others' enjoyment. The same general tenants (don't litter, don't be absurdly obnoxious, and share resources appropriately) apply to all areas of a park, not just the disc golf course.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
Using the park for your own enjoyment in your own way is fine. If that means hitting the course with just your Pulsar, go for it.

The problem is when you begin to interfere with others' enjoyment. The same general tenants (don't litter, don't be absurdly obnoxious, and share resources appropriately) apply to all areas of a park, not just the disc golf course.
I wished more people (other than disc golfers) would utilize and implement this thought.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd.bittle View Post
^Welcome to the greatest addiction in the world.
Yeah for real, I guess luckily the disc aren't very expensive as long as you don't start chasing hard to find stuff. Still it adds up quick.

Quote:
Wow, some people really get serious huh? I had a really long post ready, and decided it wasn't worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Using the park for fun, and being a chucker is not the same. And yea, some of us do take our time at the course more seriously. Especially when we play so infrequently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post

I think, for most people at least, is its more about using common sense and having respect for the people around you more them what you're actually doing or throwing.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHFH
I have no problems with casuals wanting to go out and have fun while playing with their buddies and only using one disc. I have no problem that they might not know all the rules and are oblivious to things like OB and foot faults etc. I do have a problem when they descend on a course like a plague of locusts running and screaming and leaving a trail of chaos in their wake. I do have a problem when no effort is made to show a little courtesy to those around them. That is why I avoid busy courses on the weekends.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
So at the risk of public ridicule can I ask what exactly is the definition of a chucker?
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
So at the risk of public ridicule can I ask what exactly is the definition of a chucker?
The most simple definition of a chucker is as followed:

One who has total disregard for everyone around them aside from their own band of goons. They litter everywhere, deface the signs and baskets and no matter how many times you yell at them or try to inform them, they do not have any course etiquette. Generally unpleasant to be around.

To clear up any confusion, not all one discers are chuckers and not all chuckers are one discers. The chucker can be any type of person but they ALWAYS have the criteria posted above.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Eagle Member

Don't see a lot of Chuckers when you play DG before breakfast. Except actual Wood Chucks and squirrels

Except I do throw high speed drivers, like Vulcan/Katana, even though I can barely get to 300 feet with a Squall or Aftershock Mid-range. So if that counts, I do see myself
Old 04-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC AceHole View Post
The most simple definition of a chucker is as followed:

One who has total disregard for everyone around them aside from their own band of goons. They litter everywhere, deface the signs and baskets and no matter how many times you yell at them or try to inform them, they do not have any course etiquette. Generally unpleasant to be around.

To clear up any confusion, not all one discers are chuckers and not all chuckers are one discers. The chucker can be any type of person but they ALWAYS have the criteria posted above.
I like the definition but not the use of the term chuckers. I think chuckers are one or two levels above the band of goons in JC AceHole's definition. Here in Charlotte, one of our most popular handicapped leagues is called Chuckers. They average about 40 players every Saturday AM and maintain handicaps for well over 200 players--many now playing pro or advanced AM (including the current Pro Women's World Champ). The Charlotte Chuckers league helps transition the casual (or "goon") player into a more structured, competitive environment. Some might still be hackers.

What this tread is complaining about are the "goons" who are driven by testosterone and illegal substances (most eventually either transition from this group, lose interest, or die). As a Charlotte course director, I see a few "goons" but the course thankfully is not in the heavily trafficked social areas.

I see more families trying to learn DG. They are very receptive to suggestions on throwing techniques, what "rules" mean (I find the use of the foul line in bowling to translate to stance requirements), and the etiquette most know through ball golf.

There is no solution to avoid "goon" disc golfers just as there is no solution to avoiding similar "goons" in everyday life.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 34
We call em mob golfers, since they are always in a pack of 6+ and always playing singles, but they have a right to be there as I do. I will destroy someone if they start littering though. That isn't cool. There is a trashcan every other hole for a reason. Vandalism isn't accepted by me either, including sharpieing the baskets with aces.