Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor professor View Post
To any noob here that thinks throwing a warp speed disc will improve your game, ill tell you the same thing I tell any of my friends that are just getting into dg: if you want to fiddle fart around, have a good time and toss some discs around then by all means, throw whatever you want. If you wanna actually get better and develop useful form habits, start with mids and low speed fairway drivers. I have a buddy that throws a destroyer 300', gave him a teebird that he throws 330' he was baffled.
The reason high speed drivers are not consistent for you is because you haven't developed the ability to throw them correctly.
The problem I, and many others have, is we got into the game to fiddle fart around, or in my case, get some exercise outside, instead of in the gym, and we figure out how to play on our own, and enjoy it.

THEN we want to get serious later on, but you have to unlearn all your bad habits, throw only your putters, absorb the humiliation of you casual playing friends who can throw their Katanas 330 feet 1 in 3 times, and basically go cold turkey on a lot of fun aspects of the game, to unlearn your toe-turning, lack of hip moving, OAT corrections, etc.. So that takes a real effort, which can be counterproductive to enjoying the game and getting out there to do exercise.

Side Note: Before I got hooked on Disc Golf, I was hooked on World of Warcraft (DG is a lot healthier and has made me a lot happier person now). I always assumed the whole "Casual" vs "Hardcore" forum paradigm was computer gamer specific, but here it is in Disc Golf forums too. I can't get hooked on DG forums like WoW forums though. Too much is bad for your work performance.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 PM

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
I started off with a dx beast , it has good grip and goes pretty far without having to have a super huge arm behind it . It was a good overstable wind disc and would hold a good line when it was fairly new. Tee-birds are easy to throw as well , as long as your form and posture is there you will be just fine .
Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
I get what your saying. I had to totally re vamp my game from the ground up at one point and its not easy. I did it because the game wasn't as fun when I realized my consistency sucked and my scores reflected my inability to execute my shots the way I wanted. My solution was lots of practice. Did and still do the majority of my practicing in a field... No need for fear of humiliation there. It won't take as long as you think to correct your form/game. Once you start to get to the level where not only do you out drive your buds but are much more accurate, you will have even more fun than you do now. And btw, you don't need to be able to crush a putter to 300', that's not the point.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 PM

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
I am an intermediate player. The bolt is the only disc I have hit the 400 ft mark with.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Didn't read through here, but I would say leopard
Old 04-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
To any noob here that thinks throwing a warp speed disc will improve your game, ill tell you the same thing I tell any of my friends that are just getting into dg: if you want to fiddle fart around, have a good time and toss some discs around then by all means, throw whatever you want. If you wanna actually get better and develop useful form habits, start with mids and low speed fairway drivers. I have a buddy that throws a destroyer 300', gave him a teebird that he throws 330' he was baffled.
The reason high speed drivers are not consistent for you is because you haven't developed the ability to throw them correctly.

I have four Rivers, a JK pro Valk, a Zombee and a Halo and Reaper, those last two I bought when I just started and didn't know better....the farthest throw I've ever made.....was with a Roc.......Im a total noob but still.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_Before_Breakfast View Post
The problem I, and many others have, is we got into the game to fiddle fart around, or in my case, get some exercise outside, instead of in the gym, and we figure out how to play on our own, and enjoy it.

THEN we want to get serious later on, but you have to unlearn all your bad habits, throw only your putters, absorb the humiliation of you casual playing friends who can throw their Katanas 330 feet 1 in 3 times, and basically go cold turkey on a lot of fun aspects of the game, to unlearn your toe-turning, lack of hip moving, OAT corrections, etc.. So that takes a real effort, which can be counterproductive to enjoying the game and getting out there to do exercise.
Not saying I can but some people can throw a putter 330. So if you manage that whos being humiliated when you throw a putter past their katana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
Didn't read through here, but I would say leopard
I wouldn't consider a Leopard warp speed
Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
I have four Rivers, a JK pro Valk, a Zombee and a Halo and Reaper, those last two I bought when I just started and didn't know better....the farthest throw I've ever made.....was with a Roc.......Im a total noob but still.....
Exactly my point.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
nuke ss
seasoned esp or x nuke
realy light bubble destroyers
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Exactly my point.
I know I was agreeing with you. I only throw the drivers when I'm messing around field throwing. The drivers I have because I know eventually I will use them. If I'm actually playing a round its mids and putters only until I can get the distance I want out of the mids.

Its just some people can't get it out of their head that "slow" discs car fly as far as the "fast" ones. I fell into the superfast disc trap at the beginning too and If I hadn't found this place is probably still be throwing the Halo and Reaper and being annoyed when it only goes 150 feet then drops like a stone.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 242
You wanna Katana. Try a Blizzard Katana from 135 to 155 grams. As a bonus, weights under 140 grams also float in water.

While not really as wide rimmed, the Champion Mamba is another excellent choice.