Old 04-20-2013, 11:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolangherity View Post
THIS. for every backpack.

disc golf bag makers, this is one area you SHOULDNT try to differentiate from the grip.
I beg to differ, unless you have actually used a backpack with the inverted U-shaped and don't really like it then you really can't have an opinion on that shape. In my opinion between the grip and the contender in terms of the flap opening I prefer the contender because I can get any disc easily and pull it out even on the edges. I demonstrate it in my review. I have pulled discs out of a grip before, it is great until you hit the edges, starts to become a hassle at that point
Old 04-20-2013, 11:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

man i have a grip sitting next to me, dont be talkin dat nonsense.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolangherity View Post
man i have a grip sitting next to me, dont be talkin dat nonsense.
so you can fill the main pocket of the grip completely and be able to grab a disc from the far left or right without any hassle at all?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
There really isn't a problem with a top-tucking flap. The problem the Grip has is that the opening is too drastically curved into a U shape for style purposes. If someone made a bag with the same flap as the Grip/Prodiscus but squared out the corners a bit like the Contender does, then getting discs out the far sides would be much easier.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_B5932 View Post
Check out and post in some fishing forums. I used mine for fishing and gave it away to a member on these forums.
Very good suggestion. I started looking but so far no luck.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwfromthewoods View Post
There really isn't a problem with a top-tucking flap. The problem the Grip has is that the opening is too drastically curved into a U shape for style purposes. If someone made a bag with the same flap as the Grip/Prodiscus but squared out the corners a bit like the Contender does, then getting discs out the far sides would be much easier.
Same issue with the Cabela XPG - I have 20 on the bottom, and the only discs I have trouble getting in are the two on the ends. Out isn't quite as bad. But it's the shape of the opening more than the size - a bit more squared off would be better.

However, I would prefer it open the other way, and give me an inch or so closed at the bottom. When it's open, snow, leaves, twigs seem to find their way in.

But overall, I love my Cabela XPG
Better than my Fade Tourney with Quadshocks, and less $$
Old 04-21-2013, 11:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tistoude View Post
Seriously though, if we could get a major manufacturer to produce some relatively low cast bags I think it would be a win for everyone.
Except the gouger$ making them now
Old 04-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Bogey Member

running my Cabela's bag with a pvc frame that was shown here for some slight under storage and top filling disc compartment, MAINLY because of the issue of getting the far left/right discs from the bottom opening but still wasn't an issue... But I do really enjoy getting discs from the top and keeping 2 putters stashed in the bottom flap's zipper pocket. They fit snug but they fit.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfanatic7 View Post
I beg to differ, unless you have actually used a backpack with the inverted U-shaped and don't really like it then you really can't have an opinion on that shape. In my opinion between the grip and the contender in terms of the flap opening I prefer the contender because I can get any disc easily and pull it out even on the edges. I demonstrate it in my review. I have pulled discs out of a grip before, it is great until you hit the edges, starts to become a hassle at that point
Totally disagree with this.

The only thing I hated about my Cabelas bag was the tucked under flap. Way too easy for discs to just fall out of the bag, even with a frame.

Grip gets it 100% right on this part of their bag, IMO.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

yeah i can pull discs from my full grip easily, and no you cant pull the side discs 'straight out' because the width of the zippered opening is smaller than the total width of disc storage. shouldn't be any surprises there.
one finger under the rim and pull..

from a design aspect, the flap swinging straight back and securing (like the grip, ranger) is miles ahead of any inverted U flap tuck/ roll setup. the U shape is naturally closed when unzipped, the inverted U is hanging open if it isn't zipped.

and for what its worth, since you're into tucking things (pause) you can tuck the grip's flap up by the putter pocket and then its REALLY easy to stuff discs in there.