Old 04-23-2013, 01:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscho View Post
Nolangherity- I just mentioned that because I hear it all the time when new people are trying out my MVP putters. I either get.. "Meh.. I like my SSS/KC/" or.." I don't putt with premium.. It spits out of the chains too much."

IMO I thought the point was worth mentioning. It's been discussed plenty of times.
The problem is the overmold isn't explained enough I feel. When people saw my ions, they would be like what is that? I would tell them, then explain the make up and how it is useful for not only glide, but grabbing the chains as well. It is premium plastic but the overmold is better than base plastic when it comes to catching chains I think.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:17 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by knettles View Post
I really like the idea of different colored outermolding. Just think, black neutron plastic with any color outermolding would look amazing.
I'd read in a post here somewhere that (And I'm paraphrasing) chemically binding the overmold and the cores perfectly has to be done on a per color basis and that coloring the overmold would increase the chances for quality control issues. I got the impression MVP were more interested in QC and customer well-being first and fore-most. I applaud that decision, personally.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

the base plastic = better putter argument is 10000% mental. get over it.

then again most of you think neutron is grippier than proton, so i dunno what to tell you.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:36 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.2
I think base plastic would be so awesome.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:34 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolangherity View Post
the base plastic = better putter argument is 10000% mental. get over it.

then again most of you think neutron is grippier than proton, so i dunno what to tell you.
It's the opposite of mental. It's completely based on feel. Saying that the overmold grabs the chains better than base plastic is way more mental than saying you prefer a baseline putter. I love the way that MVP discs fly, but I'm very close to pulling everything but the drivers out of my bag due to grip/feel issues. I'm not trying to bash MVP (I love the company), but I just prefer the feel of base plastic in my putters/mids.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 38
I'm not sure their current molding technique will work with the "base" plastics

As for putters, try the soft proton or neutron..feels great and It does not make me miss the base plastic feel at all.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekdo View Post
I'm not sure their current molding technique will work with the "base" plastics...
Mold the core. Mold the overmold around the core. Why wouldn't that work with any plastic?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 27
^ Different plastics have different chemical properties....including bonding properties.

The way it seems to me at the moment, if you just took a baseline plastic like dx and tried to mold their current overmold onto it, not only would it not adhere but I think it wouldn't take at all (maybe I'm wrong, but this seems more likely than not).

They'd either need to change the plastic in the overmold, use different methods, or use different plastic on both ends altogether. I think it's definitely possible, but for now it just seems a bit too out there.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBells View Post
^ Different plastics have different chemical properties....including bonding properties.

The way it seems to me at the moment, if you just took a baseline plastic like dx and tried to mold their current overmold onto it, not only would it not adhere but I think it wouldn't take at all (maybe I'm wrong, but this seems more likely than not).

They'd either need to change the plastic in the overmold, use different methods, or use different plastic on both ends altogether. I think it's definitely possible, but for now it just seems a bit too out there.
The other thing to consider is what people are willing to pay for 'base plastic' vs production costs. Overmolding surely is a more expensive way to produce discs than single shots. Being competitive at premium pricing is probably already more of a challenge for MVP than companies that don't do this extra work. Further, a recycled plastic line is probably not possible with overmolded discs because they are two plastics bonded together, so another free revenue source may be out. My guess? There won't be a 'base plastic'.

If I could suggest anything plastic-wise, I'd vote for a blend that resists cold temps better than the competition. Something nobody else has really done well yet. Even in single digit + temps my soft Eclipse gets noticeably harder. In snow its as hard as my Neutrons. I'd re-buy several molds in that.

Last edited by thePiRaTE; 04-23-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 27
That plus a legitimate floater. That would be excellent.
Closed Thread