Old 04-24-2013, 02:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Some of this is based on how oily your skin is too. My GF asked me the other day why I bother to dry discs but then spray spit on my throwing fingers and I told her it's becasue my hands are callused and dry so they need a tiny bit of moisture to get any real friction. I know everyone doesn't do this so it's gotta be just different strokes for different skins.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:27 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menacewarf View Post
Some of this is based on how oily your skin is too. My GF asked me the other day why I bother to dry discs but then spray spit on my throwing fingers and I told her it's becasue my hands are callused and dry so they need a tiny bit of moisture to get any real friction. I know everyone doesn't do this so it's gotta be just different strokes for different skins.
Remind me not to trade any discs with you, haha.

In line with your skin type observation in regards to my test, I'm sure others MMV. Yet, with my skin as the control group, I discovered MVPs plastic qualities are unique compared to the big two, and that their own plastics are more the same than different within the testing parameters. I also learned I like it a bit better in so much as the smooth mild resistance allowed me to lock my grip in with less 'hunting' around the flight plate than the skidding action on Z and Champ.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 32
For me, out of premium plastics, MVP discs have been the easiest for me to throw lately. The last 4 tournaments I have played in were in raining conditions or the ground was saturated from a recent rain. Discraft's Z plastic was the toughest for me, but I only throw one mold in Z and that is the Pred and I used the etchings on the inner rim for grip on it. Innova's Champ plastic isn't as bad as Z, but not nearly as good as Proton or Neutron when wet or damp. Lat 64's GL and Opto plastic is somewhere between Champ and Proton/Neutron. By far the best plastic for me when wet is the soft proton in MVP putters.

Again, that is just me and YMMV. It would be nice if I could play at least one DG tournament in good weather this year...
Old 04-24-2013, 08:14 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
...my hands are callused and dry so they need a tiny bit of moisture to get any real friction...
Same here. I'll breath on my putter like I'm trying to fog up my glasses before I putt.

Quote:
...different strokes for different skins.
Also, that's what she said
Old 04-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedPuppySlayer View Post
I have 0 problem wiping off either my Neutron or Proton plastics, you people are using some bunk rags I think...
Same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
There's a joke about Katy Perry and wiping off rags here somewhere, but this is a family atmosphere, right?
Lol.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:52 AM
* Ace Member *

The surface feel of a disc depends on a lot more factors than the type of plastic used. I know it is influenced by weighting agents/fillers, the age/quality of the mold, and cooling conditions. For example I have a FR Vector that is super stiff and slick, and then I have an Eclipse Vector that is 100% tackier. So all hands are different and discs are as well.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 55
Send a message via Skype™ to UnitedPuppySlayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
There's a joke about Katy Perry and wiping off rags here somewhere, but this is a family atmosphere, right?
I used the same rag for everything
Old 04-24-2013, 09:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedPuppySlayer View Post
I used the same rag for everything
Inb4 toxic shock
Old 04-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 103
Good points here. By no means was I saying these discs are too slippery etc but only stating a brand new neutron disc is like a freshly waxed car. Dry/oily hands are a big problem also and I wasn't inferring that a disc needed to be 100% dry at all-- mine weren't all winter long but can say I reached for my soft proton much more than neutron. But also just felt the clear vector vs the lime green and green is a lot tackier so looks like another +1 for discspeed.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 56
I have pretty dry hands, im in a similar boat as scarp, i dry my discs and then get my fingers wet to help w/ tacky grip. The soft mvp plastics feel fine grip wise. My personal problem is that i prefer a more rigid putter and a specific grip. MVP doesnt offer that yet so its hard for me to throw their stuff that i donlike year round.
Closed Thread