Old 04-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
That doesnt hold true afaik

Their "entry level" plastic is the 400s, next is 400G, their pro type plastic is called 500 tho, and then there will be another allegedly more durable 700 series.

I believe the msrp for 400s is supposed to be 17-18 and the other higher grade blend will obv retail for more, regardless of what price the 400s or g is at. Prolly by $1-2 as said before
Isn't the DX/KC blend that the putters Will has been showing called the 300 series?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavon_andy View Post
My local stores sell them for 16.00 and 16.99 at a Replay sports and a PIAS. At PIAS it's cheaper then opto plastic.

If they were $20 a pop I'd never try any of their discs.
Ya, i understand that. $20 seems to be a tipping point for a lot of buyers. For me if I deem it worthy of that pricepoint ill buy it, but for a stock, not limited release and its $20 it would have to be obviously superior to the lower pricepoint plastics.

As for opto being more than $17, dat shi cray dawg

@Apoth
Ive seen/heard by prodigy guys calling them 500. Thats what will and paige told me, and thats what ive seen on FB.
However calling it 300 would make more sense to me, that hasnt been my experience, they couldve misspoke or just been mis informed/confused? Idk.

Last edited by Pwingles; 04-24-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatt18 View Post
Everyone giving prodigy **** about the naming convention of the discs is pretty weak in my opinion. Do you want a new company that's trying to differentiate themselves from the market to continue down the path as every other competitor. The entire "campaign" from what I've seen from prodigy is simple/sleek. I'm not a prodigy fanboy I'm just being objective. I know the plastic feels pretty good and I'll give them a shot just as I do every other company. And I have yet to pay over $16 for any prodigy disc as well, although I've only bought a D1,D4, and two M4's.
If it's confusing even the members of their own team, you don't see how that's a problem? If the naming convention were so sleek and simple, there would be no such confusion. Period.

It's not a problem for the well informed follower of dg news on the internet, it's a problem for Prodigy when it cuts into their bottom line. If somebody is looking for a D4, but ends up with a D1 by mistake, they're likely not to be very satisfied with the product.

I hope Prodigy works out--I want to see companies shake things up and open up new areas for disc golf. But Prodigy really needs to get its act together.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
I forget what thread it was from, but somebody said that Prodigy is a team that happens to sell discs, not a manufacturer that happens to have a team.

When you think of it in this light, a lot of their shortcomings can be forgiven.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 56
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
If it's confusing even the members of their own team, you don't see how that's a problem? If the naming convention were so sleek and simple, there would be no such confusion. Period.

It's not a problem for the well informed follower of dg news on the internet, it's a problem for Prodigy when it cuts into their bottom line. If somebody is looking for a D4, but ends up with a D1 by mistake, they're likely not to be very satisfied with the product.

I hope Prodigy works out--I want to see companies shake things up and open up new areas for disc golf. But Prodigy really needs to get its act together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
I forget what thread it was from, but somebody said that Prodigy is a team that happens to sell discs, not a manufacturer that happens to have a team.

When you think of it in this light, a lot of their shortcomings can be forgiven.
Both fair points.

Leaves me to wonder, outside of testing and initial input on what they want the product to turn out like, how much/little are the team members involved in the other aspects of this as far as the manufacturer side?

Could be part of the reason so much 'misinformation' gets around if all these guys/gals dont have a full understanding of the processes involved and the other nuances that come with being a manufacturer.

Not making potential excuses for them, but, it would go a long way towards helping us understand and filter information we get from them (hopefully it would anyway)
Old 04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post

The only problem with your statement is that they are mass manufacturing discs. This is not a small operation like me selling homemade discs out of my trunk. They are a national company who are selling discs to every disc golfer who has the opportunity to purchase them.

It frustrates me to see so many people confused about Prodigy disc stuff and really DGCR is supposed to be the folks who know the most about disc golf. I can't imagine what a normal non-informed person would feel.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post

I personally have done this. Intended to order a D4. Bought a D1 by mistake.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 178
celebrities endorse dumb stuff they dont believe in all the time.

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/ent...ducts/#slide=1

Prodigy is soley at blame for poor manufacturing processes and allowing defects to get in to our hands to review.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Bogey Member

Anyone who is confused about their products is a moron, plain and simple. Even if it is members of their own team. A flight chart would be nice but the naming convention puts their disc types/stability into the simplest of formats. I would say it's more difficult to purchase a disc based off a name. IE) I love legacy but if you don't have a flight chart how do you depict the stability difference between the patriot and the rival. This company was just an example but you could say the same for any other. And don't give me the bs excuse for innova's flight rating chart (speed, glide, turn, fade). We all know how accurate that is from a consistency standpoint. At the end of the day it's not what people are used to so they get their panties up in a bunch. What everything boils down to is consistency in molds. The company that can mass produce the most consistent molds will eventually be the most successful for serious discers, no matter what the naming convention or of those molds might be.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Bogey Member

Ha,

This just baffles me how you guys intend to order a D4 and bought a D1 by mistake.

Hilarious.