Disc Golf Center
Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
Premium plastic?!?! pssh ...

fondled Connor Jones' baseline PA-4 at Flyboy this weekend ... chalky/gritty with the flex of a nice SS Gateway putter ... when that plastic is released, everyone's going to go ape**** trying to get their hands on the supreme tastiness that it is
Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 137
Connor said it was like Gateway eraser putter plastic.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
Those waves are a property of the plastic and not anything Prodigy is doing differently.
Really? It reminded me of the zipper top Rhynos without the sound. That's pretty amazing that the plastic "swirls" are that uniform. Are you sure they're not machining marks in a new mold that hasn't been "seasoned"? I'm not trying to argue by any means. I just have been thinking about this since I first got mine and am finally voicing the question.

Looking at Ghosts (Gravity and Metallic), Pures (both Opto and TM2), and a Breaker, they all have rings that are rings like the Rhynos. They're just nowhere near as defined as the zipper tops (save for the Breaker which is a zipper bottom). The Prodigy discs I have (M1 and M3) swirl like this:

Again, I'm not trying to argue. I just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 17
Can someone please help me understand what "easy release technology" is. I have the entire line of drivers, mids, and putters that are out at the moment so I know what they are like. I already understand it is just some gimmicky name, but what are they specifically talking about? It says nothing on their site. Is it the rim angle, grip, or something else?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 47
Im pretty sure its just not as sharp of a rim to prevent griplock.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
Im pretty sure its just not as sharp of a rim to prevent griplock.
That's it. Compare the bottom of the rim flashing location on your prodigy stuff to other manufacturers discs (except Latitutde, which I think does what prodigy does). Rather than the flashing being at the exact point on the bottom of the rim where the inside rim meets the bottom of the wing, the flashing is moved a little further out on the wing. It means that you don't really feel the flashing when you throw, even if there's a significant amount.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Plastic Counselor

Courses Played: 103
^MVP too any flashing is about 1/8" off the rim and rims are actually rounded off. IMO I don't think it has much to do with early/late release but sure feels more comfortable and less impact on my finger tips for sure.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
^MVP too any flashing is about 1/8" off the rim and rims are actually rounded off. IMO I don't think it has much to do with early/late release but sure feels more comfortable and less impact on my finger tips for sure.
Good point. Forgot about MVP. And I agree, doesn't have anything to do with release timing, just makes for a more comfortable grip.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoth View Post
That's it. Compare the bottom of the rim flashing location on your prodigy stuff to other manufacturers discs (except Latitutde, which I think does what prodigy does). Rather than the flashing being at the exact point on the bottom of the rim where the inside rim meets the bottom of the wing, the flashing is moved a little further out on the wing. It means that you don't really feel the flashing when you throw, even if there's a significant amount.
Yeah I threw a D4 a couple of times a few days ago. The flashing is slightly rolled back, and the bottom of the rim is more curved than sharp. It feels good on the release. It's kind of like the comfortable rounded feel of a bead, but with no bead.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Plastic Counselor

Courses Played: 103
When Lat.64 first came out they did a much better job with this IMO and why I loved the feel of them from the first time I ever touched a striker it was just so buttery and smooth to throw (+rims too) but honestly have found some new runs (GL specially with HUGE sharp flashing) and it has helped in production of some discs to become more reliable but also takes away from the quality feel. Opto seems to be less prone to this sharpness. If anything the plus rim would be more of an early release technology than anything.