Old 05-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Birdie Member

I haven't been using them of late, but I look for the domey ones, which are most. I usually don't like domey discs, but they seem to just glide forever and can be powered down nicely. I like the TP for a nice straight shot with a bit of turn and minimal fade and the VIP for a straight shot with a bit of fade.
Also these discs are not for big rips but nice clean release.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
I haven't been using them of late, but I look for the domey ones, which are most. I usually don't like domey discs, but they seem to just glide forever and can be powered down nicely. I like the TP for a nice straight shot with a bit of turn and minimal fade and the VIP for a straight shot with a bit of fade.
Also these discs are not for big rips but nice clean release.
^^^^ this ^^^^
Old 05-23-2013, 12:45 AM
Bogey Member

Just a note for those looking to try Westside discs. The Tournament Plastic (TP) does lose stability, and then settles in. The VIP plastic also loses a little stability and settles in but it settles in a good bit more stable than the TP does. This is true for middling molds like the Northman to beefier molds like the Giant. A VIP Northman and a TP Northman are not the same disc but they are both great.

I throw the Giant, Northman, Stag, and King in both plastics and get different stability in the same molds. This is useful.

Last edited by spinachd; 05-23-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:56 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.4
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. America View Post
I like Westside's flight numbers pretty well when comparing Westside to Westside, but how did the King's numbers come about? Did the original Kings have some super fade? I bought one on a whim, then was surprised when it drew Bolt comparisons, but yeah it flies a lot like a Bolt.
I have a 151 Air King that is like that...very Boltlike now. It started out with super fade, but has beaten in to very close to a Bolt. I throw light Air Bolts, too, so its easy to compare. I can get 20-30 feet more out of the Bolt so far, but the Air King is starting to catch up since the fade has diminished greatly. Still like the King as it is, just don't use it as much anymore.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:57 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinachd View Post
Just a note for those looking to try Westside discs. The Tournament Plastic (TP) does lose stability, and then settles in. The VIP plastic also loses a little stability and settles in but it settles in a good bit more stable than the TP does. This is true for middling molds like the Northman to beefier molds like the Giant. A VIP Northman and a TP Northman are not the same disc but they are both great.

I throw the Giant, Northman, Stag, and King in both plastics and get different stability in the same molds. This is useful.
^^yes and this is why I carry multiples in certain molds...for different stability
Old 05-23-2013, 06:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultx1215 View Post
I have a 151 Air King that is like that...very Boltlike now. It started out with super fade, but has beaten in to very close to a Bolt. I throw light Air Bolts, too, so its easy to compare. I can get 20-30 feet more out of the Bolt so far, but the Air King is starting to catch up since the fade has diminished greatly. Still like the King as it is, just don't use it as much anymore.
I threw it a couple more times. When I compare it to a Bolt, I am comparing a newTP King to a beat up Opto Bolt of about the same weight. After throwing it a few more times, I can see the hard fade. It's odd, not overstable, but yes, it does have a very late, rather hard fade. NOT overstable by any means. Sort of like the Stag's numbers I guess.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 78
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
No it is not. The Swan has a shallower profile and is less stable or more under stable depending on your point of view. They are not the same disc at all. Unless maybe you ran over your Magnets with a truck.

A swan in Tournament Plastic would scare the hell out of my Pures. So I'll probably never see it.
Uh.... go and measure it. It is a near copy.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 78
Throwing Style: LHBH
Discraft Magnet 176.0 21.2 2.0 1.4 19.6 0.8 6.6 47.75 8.85
Westside Swan 175.1 21.1 2.0 1.4 19.0 1.1 6.6 58.50 5.44

Like I said.....pretty much the same disc. NOT IDENTICAL, but almost the same.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 199
They do not feel or fly the same. Must be the magical Finnish pixie dust.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 5
Has anybody encountered a freak overstable King? I picked up a silver 172 TP King a month or so back and it's my most overstable disc in my bag. I have another red 173 TP King that is my most understable disc in my bag. It's so weird to have nearly the same disc be so very different. Strangely I love my super stable King and use it for long flex shots, were my normal King is great for hyzer flips and long Anny's. Curiously, this new stable King seems to match it's actual flight numbers, when I know the understable Kings are normally nowhere near the flight numbers. I wonder if Westside had changed anything to match the numbers, or if I just got a freak King.