Old 05-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Original poster here.

It went great. Had two wicked blind holes on two days for a pro / am tourney. Saturday and Sunday http://www.desmoineschallenge.org/
16 at Pickard http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=67
17 at Walnut. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=64
Did much retrieving / help finding.
Had much fun to include the Saturday party
Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmk View Post
Can you give me an example of someone being worse off by the spotter being there?
On a risky hole I decide to throw my beloved driver because I have a spotter. Without a spotter I would otherwise throw a "risk disc". I never see my beloved driver again even though it was apparently a good drive which went right over the spotter's head.

We all drive. My group approaches the blind water hazard and the spotter hands me my disc. I ask the spotter where the disc landed and why he picked it up. He says he doesn't recall where my disc landed but it doesn't matter since it was OB (because it was more than 50% in the water) and I have to rethrow it.

We all drive. All of the group is in the open with easy putts. As I am releasing my putt the spotter yells to someone in an adjacent fairway.

I'm on a roll, playing hot. My group drives on a hole. There is an issue on the placement of one of my group's discs. Everyone in the group agrees on the ruling except the spotter. Everyone in the group is a certified official except the spotter, who has never played a tournament. The group tries to explain the proper ruling to the spotter. The spotter will not be swayed and believes he can overrule the group. We are delayed while an official, then the course TD is brought in to decide the issue. A half hour wait later my game has cooled.

Each of these events has occurred to me during World Championship play.

A bad spotter is worse than no spotter.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Bogey Member

Glad you enjoyed the experience. Was watching the final round of the '71 US Open (Nicklaus vs. Trevino) last night and they had spotters marking their drives in the fairway!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.6
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Just spent 10 days at Four Mounds in Spokane, the week before the LCO tourney as groundskeeper, and the 2 days of the tourney as a spotter.
Spotted on the teacherous Porcupine #14-15 combo. Only lost a putter that was anny-floated more than 200'.
Spotted on the signature Cape Fear #9, 650' with a 100' deep ravine in the middle. Only lost a purple disc that was righty-hyzered OB left, more than 300' out of bounds.
Sat in my kayak in the lake on Finals course #9. Pulled Feldberg's blue Trident from the shallows[this was the only player's disc I touched], but lost Shotwell's driver in the kelpy grass in the bottom.
Before the players arrived, saw turkeys, a red fox, hawks and eagles, many mule deer. Killed and ate a rattlesnake. Got 5-6 new discs and the request to return every year if possible.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtobediscing View Post
Just spent 10 days at Four Mounds in Spokane, the week before the LCO tourney as groundskeeper, and the 2 days of the tourney as a spotter.
Spotted on the teacherous Porcupine #14-15 combo. Only lost a putter that was anny-floated more than 200'.
Spotted on the signature Cape Fear #9, 650' with a 100' deep ravine in the middle. Only lost a purple disc that was righty-hyzered OB left, more than 300' out of bounds.
Sat in my kayak in the lake on Finals course #9. Pulled Feldberg's blue Trident from the shallows[this was the only player's disc I touched], but lost Shotwell's driver in the kelpy grass in the bottom.
Before the players arrived, saw turkeys, a red fox, hawks and eagles, many mule deer. Killed and ate a rattlesnake. Got 5-6 new discs and the request to return every year if possible.
Now THAT sounds like a nice time!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:12 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 12
just know your job and do your job and your job only.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:17 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtobediscing View Post
...Killed and ate a rattlesnake....