Old 06-05-2013, 11:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
Me and Jrawk need to get together on our terms. What he described needs to happen, but is not what I'm talking about.

What I'm talking about is the elbow has to stop going forward and start moving rotationally to your right (assuming rhbh). When it starts moving rotationally, it swings your lower arm. That swinging of the lower arm is the whip-like action you're looking for.

My biggest problem with the hammer pound drills was trying to make them more complicated than they are. Just put a nail in a board, and try to drive it with a disc with your throwing grip. It's that easy.
dan that is the resultant of elbow chop. as long as you elbow chop, the lowerarm will whip around and your upper arm will continue with around with your follow through. wake details the follow through in his post.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:02 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Yeah pretty much although actually closing the shoulder may help even more. I really believe the right pec drill should be replaced as the closed shoulder drill. The shoulder can slow to release the arm as a whip although the shoulder also whips the arm.
If you mean what I think you do, the continious rotation of the shoulders from the right pec would not only make you throw to the right but also work against the whip effect of the arm.
When you snap a towel, you'd have to stop the arm in order to really get the forearm to whip out and snap it. If you continue to move the arm, the underarm will never really catch up to create the snap.
The same goes with the throw. If the shoulders actively keep rotating after the disc is at the right pec, it must be harder to get a real snap from the underarm and wrist.
Mayby thats what Beto mean by Punching toward the tatget
Old 06-06-2013, 03:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Pretty much...this thread was eureka:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums...12748&start=15
Old 06-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Pretty much...this thread was eureka:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums...12748&start=15
The part near the end of page 2 describes something I figured out about my form yesterday during some field practice. You always read that good form starts from the lower body/hips, then shoulder, then elbow chop then wrist. That the power is supposed to build from there. So I've always tried to lead my drive with my shoulder.
I think that has contributed to my strong arming. I get my shoulder so far ahead of my arm that I don't have time during the pull through to use my elbow chop fully.
When I decided to focus on my arm speed and elbow chop and attempt to keep my shoulder out of the equation, I started feeling more leverage from my elbow and wrist.

Unfortunately, right as I started trying that, I suddenly started torquing over a lot of my throws. It's not just power, as I was torquing over Predators and glow Roc3s.
I have trouble figuring out how much to "throw the other side of the disc". It seems when I use a lot of wrist extension, keeping my hand at 12 o clock as long as possible and whipping the disc around at the hit point, I suddenly get a crazy amount of OAT.

Anyone else experienced this?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHBH
Sounds like you need to close your shoulder and make sure your wrist/arm is not turning up/over. You don't want your wrist or shoulder to roll over at all, specially during your extension which will cause massive "oat" if you were previously not extending correctly and add that in-- yet your throwing planes are out of wack so those lines will be exaggerated even more.

you can check this by seeing if the palm of your hand is facing the ground or turns up through your extension.

Last edited by Aim For The Chains; 06-06-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
^ Yeah, shoulder/body is either too open and/or something in your balance or swing plane is creating over torque.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 21
Make sure you aren't dipping your left shoulder. Try folding your right shoulder over at reach back. It should create a lower pull through and slight hyzer angle. Focus on keeping your shoulders loose during hip rotation.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Sounds like you need to close your shoulder and make sure your wrist/arm is not turning up/over. You don't want your wrist or shoulder to roll over at all, specially during your extension which will cause massive "oat" if you were previously not extending correctly and add that in-- yet your throwing planes are out of wack so those lines will be exaggerated even more.

you can check this by seeing if the palm of your hand is facing the ground or turns up through your extension.
When you say to close my shoulder, what does that mean?
Old 06-06-2013, 12:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRaph View Post
Anyone else experienced this?
Yeah. Every time I "get" a little more about how to actually hit it I end up messing something else up. Fortunately I've had to fix so many issue so many times I normally know what I have to do to correct myself. I usually takes some work to incorporate it into my throw, though.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRaph View Post
When you say to close my shoulder, what does that mean?
@3:50-5min you can really see this.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.