Old 06-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Try to keep your hand loose and at the 12:00 position as late in the throw as you possible can. As you extend your forearm, you should feel the tension in your tendons... this is your cue to fling the nose of the disc around. Keep your shoulders loose as you rotate your hips. If you rotate your shoulders too early, the disc will slip out or veer way to the right and you likely won't feel any tension.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
I've never felt any tension and if I grip the disc too loose it comes out early and goes off left, thats actually an issue I've been fighting lately....I'm gripping too lost not gripping down at the end is its slipping out early....
Old 06-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 32
It has similarities to starting a lawnmower.... You know how some pulls just feel right and you know its gonna start? That's the closest analogy, like your stone skipping (which I agree with, btw, that's how I always try to relate the FH swing to people that aren't familiar with the FH snap)

But like the others have said, it's tough to really relate it to any other motion. You could say a one handed golf or baseball swing, but not really, those have more similar mechanics to FH swings.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHFH
Alright, thanks for the input guys. I'll keep practicing at it
Old 06-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Eagle Member

Well I was out practicing last night and its just not happening. I don't know what it is but I just can't get any snap at all and the nose angle issues won't go away either, but I think thats because of weight shift and starting my pull through too early. I was getting close to 300 but now I'm back down to about 250. I've read everything over and over, I've watched numerous videos and there just has to be something I'm not getting.

I cannot cannot cannot no matter what I do throw over 250 from a standstill and from a standstill I get nose up and I'm not even sure what else, even what Im not nose up its wont go past 250. I try the pic drill and messes up my throw, I end up getting round and it looks like a frisbee throw....I guess I'll try the closed shoulder snap drill but I was trying to get a fundamentally sound basic throw down first.

I don't know maybe I'm releasing my wrist too early, but its release right around or after my right pec....I think...I just don't know getting kind of discouraged though. Ive been playing nearly weekly and practicing even more than that since april, weekly solid and practice two or 3 times a week since May and i've seen nearly zero improvement.....

Last edited by loki993; 06-07-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Par Member

You're worrying, stressing, thinking about it too much man! Just focus on one part of your throw, and throw! The follow thru, or the angle of the disc, whatever you have to do to take your mind off of internet malarky, and just have some fun!

This isn't work, it's a hobby/ sport. If you are not having fun, you'll never progress, and it's impossible to have fun when you tell yourself you're not doing it right over and over.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner34 View Post
You're worrying, stressing, thinking about it too much man! Just focus on one part of your throw, and throw! The follow thru, or the angle of the disc, whatever you have to do to take your mind off of internet malarky, and just have some fun!

This isn't work, it's a hobby/ sport. If you are not having fun, you'll never progress, and it's impossible to have fun when you tell yourself you're not doing it right over and over.
Don't get me wrong I have fun when Im out playing, its just when I'm actually practicing trying to see improvement and there isn't any no matter what I try it gets frustrating after a while.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 81
Loki we need a video of your throw from the side of the teepad and from behind.

Also a photo of your grip on a fairway driver will help. I'm sure we can fix the nose angle issues with a grip change. There are grips that force your arm to a more level pull through and align the wrist in plane with the forearm without forcing anything.

Don't be embarassed. Nobody ever pokes fun as long as your honest about your distance and troubles.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 15
Loki, as someone who has played a while and only recently (in the last year or two) discovered how to get snap on the disc, pouring over drills and techniques before you get a little taste of that snap was almost pointless for me. Over thinking it is destructive if you don't know what a good hit feels like. For me, just throwing a lot and getting a good rip and not worrying about accuracy helped me to understand what it feels like to have the disc rip from your hand. So maybe cool down the training and try and rip a few in any way that feels natural. Then once you "get" it, try and get your form under control and accuracy will follow.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 21
If you don't feel comfortable posting a video, watching yourself throw still helps. You'll be surprised at things you are doing wrong that you thought you were doing right.

I was in the same boat for my first two years. Seeing myself throw was what helped the most. Focus on changing one thing at a time. If you notice an improvement, keep repeating that motion until it becomes ingrained in your muscle memory. Then focus on something else and repeat.

It can be confusing listening to advice in a forum because there are different techniques that allow you to throw far. Which technique works best varies from person to person. However, there are certain fundamentals that are required for every throwing style. I remember seeing a thread in DGR on those fundamentals. I will see if I can find it and post a link here.