Old 06-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 66
Well put, job. I'm really excited to see you run.
As a member with a whole bunch of kids, I would like to see some sort of umbrella family membership that would cover all of us and encourage my wife to get out and play some tournaments as well. She would like to see the PDGA encourage some sort of Family Day events that would allow the whole family to get out and play.

You have my support,

@alpha_dave
Old 06-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
In reference to trophy-only, which I am a supporter of in so much as it equates to lower entry fees and thua more accesability, were the PDGA to formally declare that as the direction they are going in, and were you a member of the Board at that time, how would you implement it? Would you start by mandating "-Tiers first, then gradually moving up, tier by tier, until all events were trophy only for Amateurs? Would you simpsly give a start date, say, 1 January 2014, as the day all events would go trophy only? Or do you have an entirely different sution?
Old 06-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
In reference to trophy-only, which I am a supporter of in so much as it equates to lower entry fees and thua more accesability, were the PDGA to formally declare that as the direction they are going in, and were you a member of the Board at that time, how would you implement it? Would you start by mandating "-Tiers first, then gradually moving up, tier by tier, until all events were trophy only for Amateurs? Would you simpsly give a start date, say, 1 January 2014, as the day all events would go trophy only? Or do you have an entirely different sution?
Great question. It's something I haven't thought about because I am against the PDGA making an absolute mandate or trophy only.

If the board were to vote and make a decision to implement trophy only, I would suggest implementing from the top down. Overall, most higher tier events have more credibility and a stronger reputation. If these events are able to prove to players that trophy only is a viable solution, maybe players will continue to play the lower tiered events.

From my perspective, I still believe players and tournament directors will shy away from PDGA events if events are mandated to be trophy only.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 211
I've seen Job excel at everything he's involved in from being an excellent state coordinator to running great events. I fully support him in this endeavor and am sure he'll have the same positive impact on the PDGA Board of Directors as he's had on the state of Kentucky and the Evansville area.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamH View Post
I've seen Job excel at everything he's involved in from being an excellent state coordinator to running great events. I fully support him in this endeavor and am sure he'll have the same positive impact on the PDGA Board of Directors as he's had on the state of Kentucky and the Evansville area.
Adam, thank you for the kind words!
Your endorsement is one I greatly appreciate.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:23 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
I truly believe Job is good for the sport of disc golf and feel that anyone who votes for him can ensure their vote is not wasted.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
What about enforcing the equipment specs more? One of the biggest complaints I read is manufacture consistantcy, etc...
Old 06-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
What about enforcing the equipment specs more? One of the biggest complaints I read is manufacture consistantcy, etc...
I absolutely agree with you that consistency is an issue, but I have a hard time seeing how the PDGA can actively enforce this. The PDGA does not have the resources to set up shop as QA/QC within disc manufacturers.

I do like the idea of random spot checking. The PDGA can go to a retailer, randomly grab a stack of new discs and put them through the standard testing (flex, weight, etc.). Again though, this requires resources. I've worked in a laboratory environment for 10+ years. If a sanctioning body is going to levee some kind of sanctions against an equipment manufacturer, it will have to set up Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), internal QA/QC and be subject to audits.

I believe the importance of technical specifications must be put in the hands of tournament directors, but I also understand the headache this would create for tournament directors.

I don't believe there is a correct answer to your question. I believe it is something that must be addressed, but it is going to take valuable resources to come up with any kind of viable solution.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobwilson View Post
I believe the importance of technical specifications must be put in the hands of tournament directors, but I also understand the headache this would create for tournament directors.
To me, this is the one absolutely unacceptable answer to this question. Enforcement of equipment standards absolutely *cannot* end up entirely in the hands of tournament directors, without the equipment standards being essentially dropped entirely. TD's simply do not have the time or resources to verify the material standards for every disc in every players' bag. Right now, as I've mentioned before, it is *solely* the culture of disc golf that has prevented every player at every event questioning the legality every disc in every players' bag. In the rulebook, it is entirely within the rights/responsibilities of players to do this, and entirely within the rights/responsibilities of the TD to enforce. This needs to change, one way or another.

Edit: I like essentially everything else you've had to say, but this one issue may be a deal-breaker for me.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:54 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
FYI - Tech standards spot checks have been done for several years now and the PDGA follows up on all reports from players when a disc may have a problem.