Old 06-19-2013, 12:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
First, I don't care about live coverage.
I just want good coverage.
The expense involved in quality broadcast/ESPN-quality coverage is prohibitive, and I have never been impressed with any live coverage that I've seen (even though I am a Lifetime Member of DGPTV.
Second, I do not want "chatty" commentators.Just give me someone that knows what they are talking about, knows some good background info and knows when to let the action speak for itself.
Third, no music.After the intro is done, cut the music...PLEASE. I'm likely not gonna like your playlist.
Fourth, follow the same group the entire round.I want to see the interactions, the reactions and watch the drama unfold in that group. If you're gonna film a bunch of random shots, I can see that at the home course monthly.
Fifth, I don't need to see every drop-in putt.Use your head and let me use mine.
Sixth, I like to see the score after every hole. The hole score and cumulative total after each hole is completed.
Seventh, I like to see the "caddybook view" of the course before each hole is played.Helps me follow the mental part of the process.
Last, but most important, I appreciate all the work that you and the other videographers put into your vids. The aforementioned preferences are only preferences. You make it to suit your tastes, I'll adapt. But you did ask for suggestions.

As far as general, non-tourney footage, how about some personal-interest stuff about some of the people at the top of the DG pyramid.
what's in the bag?
what's your home course?
how do you prep for a big tourney? the week before , the day before, the morning before?
instructional vids are always popular, putting, driving, disc selection, rollers, thumbers, tommies, etc.
Long post, hope it helps.
Very good thoughts, I agree for the most part on your breakdown of our current state of tournament coverage (and the things you would like to see).

It is a pet peeve of mine when videos just have a random song that the editor had on his/her iPod. If you're not going to do the cuts to the music don't have it in there...but I digress.

I'd definitely like to introduce more personal interest/human-story element to the conversation as well. It has been broached on the surface...but I think we can definitely do better. It seems to be the basic surface questions, without digging too much (as if the producer is afraid to offend the subject)...as many can tell on here I have no such qualms .
Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thanks for your efforts, Spin is one of my go to morning web stops. I enjoy the interviews and tourney vids. Dave's interview about disc design left me hanging....we need more! Definitely would like to see a "how its made" video as well. You need to get on the guys about the Q&A section, that moves at a snails pace. I know people are busy, but a answer or two a day should be doable?
Old 06-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: RHBH
- Pro Clinics. And even better in-depth one on one type clinics focused on common mistakes or something that the individual excels at. And I would really like to see some clinics focused on mental game and prep/practice routines. How they approach the course and holes.

- Specific to In The Bag videos. If you really want to stand out on these, have the Pro's demonstrate each disc in their bag as well as talk about it's uses. Not just a what disc are in the bag, but a what shots are in the bag. This would truly set you in a league of your own.

- Follow lead/"power" cards. Personally I dislike the random clip shot coverage. I prefer to see how a group of players play the course beginning to end.

- Player Parties. This isn't something I actually care about, but as far as showcasing our sport and making it appealing to those not in the competitive side. This could be tricky though. Like when they showed the putting comp at the bar some years ago (can't remember the video). That was cool, and anyone I showed it to wanted to participate.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
High quality fully produced coverage of the lead cards at events, the video quality and production on your videos is good, would love to see some tourney footage with that quality.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 24
I like what you have done so far. Ideas:

1. Avoid showing all of the tics and fetishes that each player goes through before throwing or (especially) putting. Maybe one shot of the player's whole routine so the viewer can truly appreciate your editing.

2. Multi-cam, multi-angle (including overhead), slow-mo view of good players' drives, upshots, and putts. Even better would be the addition of knowlegeable commentary pointing out key positions that make the throw work.

Keep up the good work!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by discguy42 View Post
Thanks for your efforts, Spin is one of my go to morning web stops. I enjoy the interviews and tourney vids. Dave's interview about disc design left me hanging....we need more! Definitely would like to see a "how its made" video as well. You need to get on the guys about the Q&A section, that moves at a snails pace. I know people are busy, but a answer or two a day should be doable?
I know if I had a Q&A box I'd answer all the time...but nobody cares what I have to say so I post here, haha!

Also remember that they're on a 8-10 hour time difference from the US so that's probably a contributing factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
- Pro Clinics. And even better in-depth one on one type clinics focused on common mistakes or something that the individual excels at. And I would really like to see some clinics focused on mental game and prep/practice routines. How they approach the course and holes.
I've got my own take on a "clinic" video in pre-production right now. It'll be awhile until it's made because the tour is in full effect, but when I can get some time from the pros involved I think it will help re-define disc golf instructional vids.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyThunders View Post
High quality fully produced coverage of the lead cards at events, the video quality and production on your videos is good, would love to see some tourney footage with that quality.
I think this is something we'd all like to do as well, but we need a crystal ball or a larger budget for a big crew to really pull it off.

Forgive me if this sounds like a sales pitch, but the best possible thing everybody can do as a favor to us if they'd like to see what we could do at that level is to be our street team. If you like SpinTV, talk it up! Blow us up on social media, tell disc golfers who don't know about us, get your friends to watch and subscribe, etc. (and yes you can always patronize the brand(s) that fund our efforts, but that goes without saying).

Jussi and Esa are always thinking big picture. They (and I) want this to really explode and lead the charge for disc golfers demanding better than the status quo. If we have a legitimate chance to accomplish something that will blow minds with the next video then we're not afraid to take on that challenge.

So...that's the long answer. Short answer would be - I would love to! I think SpinTV would need to mature a little bit more first but it's definitely in the realm of possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
I like what you have done so far. Ideas:

1. Avoid showing all of the tics and fetishes that each player goes through before throwing or (especially) putting. Maybe one shot of the player's whole routine so the viewer can truly appreciate your editing.

2. Multi-cam, multi-angle (including overhead), slow-mo view of good players' drives, upshots, and putts. Even better would be the addition of knowlegeable commentary pointing out key positions that make the throw work.

Keep up the good work!
Agreed with 1. - hopefully HyzerCinema does that for ya

As for 2. - I'm getting a "Sports Science"-y vibe from this video. I think that would be pretty badass, and definitely warrants some investigation to see how we could get that done. Thanks!

Old 06-19-2013, 10:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Keep all the thoughts coming everyone! It's greatly appreciated.

I'm very passionate about disc golf and my career as a filmmaker - so making disc golf videos is absolute fun for me. I love talking shop, and learning that others are as enamored with the process as I am.

I want to bring the disc golf community videos that they've never seen before - so if you've got crazy ideas don't hold them back!