Old 06-20-2013, 09:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Sue Mother Nature. That b1tch caused the problem in the first place...
Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvogie View Post
Sue Mother Nature. That b1tch caused the problem in the first place...
Do you really want to piss her off more than she is already?!?!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 36
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
There are a few people in this thread who seem to think that just because the guy trespassed that it obsolves those in charge of power lines of any responsibility...

I have no knowlege of how this may work out legally. But in my mind, they are responsible in some degree.

The two guys are also responsible.

But again, what if it would have happened at 6,7pm? Who is responsible then ?
If it happened around 6-7 during park hours, it should be parks and rec who would be responsible. They could have someone near it watching it until closing, put out cones and tape around it or even call a city/county cop to come stand guard until the power company gets freed up enough to come get it up off the ground.

Either way, he died, the family will sue someone and they will most likely settle out of court. Parks dept/Power co/and disc golfers all over these message boards will have learned (hopefully) something about this issue. I learned to never go to a park after dark to play disc golf after a storm.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrblue2 View Post
You are massively underestimating the volatility of the electrical grid. "Killing all power" in one area can have a cascading effect on MUCH larger areas and cause widespread blackouts (The blackout that knocked out the entire Northeast in 2003 was because some jackass in Ohio left a switch in the wrong position after some tests and one line de-energized that shouldn't have, which caused the next line to go off, which caused the next line to go off, etc.). Disconnecting just one line can cause huge power swings that overload adjacent circuits when they try to support the loads that are still connected when the first line goes out.

I also don't think you appreciate the HUGE nightmare it is to try to restore an area after a blackout, mainly due those power swings noted above, as well as a variety of other reasons. Those restorations can takes days, weeks, etc. and put the peoples lives at stake who are supervising those restorations. A situation like this is never as simply as flipping a switch off and back on when ready.
It's funny that your example was caused by 1 switch left in the wrong position aka human error. You can't fix it by "flipping a switch off and back on when ready" was your last sentence. Flipping one switch on and off can't fix it, but one switch forgotten knocked out the entire Northeast. Reading this thread makes me want to stick my finger in a socket.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDABRUSH View Post
It's funny that your example was caused by 1 switch left in the wrong position aka human error. You can't fix it by "flipping a switch off and back on when ready" was your last sentence. Flipping one switch on and off can't fix it, but one switch forgotten knocked out the entire Northeast. Reading this thread makes me want to stick my finger in a socket.
Hopefully someone forgot to switch the grid you're in back on.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvdg jake View Post
If it happened around 6-7 during park hours, it should be parks and rec who would be responsible. They could have someone near it watching it until closing, put out cones and tape around it or even call a city/county cop to come stand guard until the power company gets freed up enough to come get it up off the ground.

Either way, he died, the family will sue someone and they will most likely settle out of court. Parks dept/Power co/and disc golfers all over these message boards will have learned (hopefully) something about this issue. I learned to never go to a park after dark to play disc golf after a storm.
Now how can you argue that, 12 hours later, it wasnt fixed because of how busy they were.

But 2-3 hours later, theyre totally at fault because the park was open? Nevermind the aforementioned "busy-ness"..
Old 06-20-2013, 11:02 AM
*I whine a lot*

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvdg jake View Post

The park and rec should be responsible? thats outrageous.

Why is it their responsibility to keep guard? Its the power companies lines.

This is just ridiculous that we have some people defending the power company leaving a live wire on the ground for 12 hours.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.8
Courses Played: 153
Throwing Style: LHBH
I could be wrong, but because of litigation issues, I'm pretty sure downed lines are prioritized above lack of power. When I've seen them down on residential streets, the police/fire dept. usually have the street blocked off. Granted, you're talking about a park, but who uses parks? Kids, dog-walkers, joggers, soccer players, etc. Usually much more foot traffic than the average residential street.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Eagle Member

The snake can swallow its tail but never disappear.
This thread swallowed itself a long time ago and doesn't want to go away.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDABRUSH View Post
Can't tell if you're trolling or not...

If anything, me posting that example of the '03 blackout is a prime example of how "flipping a switch" causes huge problems to the grid. (Granted, I'm not talking about the same type of switch that is used to "cut power" to a line, but again, I don't think I need to get into all of those details here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmo View Post
The park and rec should be responsible? thats outrageous.

Why is it their responsibility to keep guard? Its the power companies lines.

This is just ridiculous that we have some people defending the power company leaving a live wire on the ground for 12 hours.
I'm not absolving the power company of this, don't get me wrong - I do think they (or someone) could have just gone out to put up a sign or barrier or something if they were informed way earlier). However, the power company is not responsible for public safety. Granted, they all have policies and marketing claiming that it's a top priority, but still - their job is deliver power to customers, not protect the general public. There are no guards from the power company that keep anyone from climbing a pole or touching a pad-mounted transformer.

If a tree from your yard falls into the road during a storm, do you have to be the one to set up barricades and re-direct traffic? No - the police or municipal workers or someone like that would - even though you own the tree that fell.
Closed Thread