#3821  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:42 PM
JonCatch JonCatch is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 80
What are pre-flight / post-flight ratings? Does this have anything to do with the disc breaking in?
Reply With Quote
  #3822  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:47 PM
mashnut's Avatar
mashnut mashnut is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Temecula, CA
Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 13,933
When you see "pre flight ratings" it's describing Innova discs before they started including the flight rating numbers in the stamps on their discs. Many people get attached to certain runs of certain discs and it's one of many ways to help describe the time period when a disc was produced.
Reply With Quote
  #3823  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:28 AM
wonderflex wonderflex is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 14
Good Distance and How Far is a "Putt"?

I have been playing for a whole week now (completed nine 9-hole rounds) and had some general questions.

Today I was playing alone at our local course (Westmoreland DGC) when I came on a group of three and they asked me to join. There was a father and daughter who had been playing three years, the father a par thrower on the course and the daughter a bogey thrower. In addition there was a mystical 71-year-old Asian man who made a birdie on every hole but one.

For the entire course I was using a 168 Innova Shark, and the father said I should be using a driver on the tee instead. On one of the longer holes I threw it about 280 feet, which led Psy (the Asian guy's name) to say that I threw far using a mid-range. So, the long way around, those are my first questions:

1) Do I need to/should I use a driver to tee off?
2) Is 260-280 feet a good throw for a beginner with a Shark or should I be looking to get more out of it? I have thrown two 290+ foot throws, and can get 260+ on almost every throw.
3) Would I throw farther if I increased or decreased the weight of the disk, or is this more of a form issue?

While we were playing I confirmed what the internet has told me about the importance of putting. Two great throws coupled with the need to putt twice...or three times...isn't very effective. This has made me to want to practice putting more than anything, which leads to my other questions:

4) If 30 feet is the ring in which the putting rules apply, should I practice putts past 30 feet or should I be making an extra throw to try and get into a range I feel more comfortable putting?
5) Should I get a dedicated putter, and if so, should it be heavier than my mid-range? The reason I ask about the weight is because my wife has a 150 Cobra that I seem to throw straighter than I do with my 168 Shark or her 160 Cobra.
6) When putting with my Shark I seem to get a much straighter line if I release it with an anhyzer. Is this normal?



Thanks for any answers or advice.
Reply With Quote
  #3824  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:43 AM
knave knave is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northwest WI
Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 110
What is PLH?

Does the powder RIT at Walmart work to dye discs? (Premium plastic)

Why is it so important to use ONE exact disc for all your putts? I have good luck with everything from a buzz to a polecat. I'm 7/10 from 35'.
Reply With Quote
  #3825  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 AM
NuNinja's Avatar
NuNinja NuNinja is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sweaty Mitten Yyuckk
Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by knave View Post
What is PLH?

Does the powder RIT at Walmart work to dye discs? (Premium plastic)
Parting line height

As long as the code on the envelope does not end with "ND", it should work.
Reply With Quote
  #3826  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 AM
knave knave is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northwest WI
Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 110
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #3827  
Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 AM
krupicka krupicka is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Naperville, IL
Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 60
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderflex View Post
I have been playing for a whole week now (completed nine 9-hole rounds) and had some general questions.


For the entire course I was using a 168 Innova Shark, and the father said I should be using a driver on the tee instead. On one of the longer holes I threw it about 280 feet, which led Psy (the Asian guy's name) to say that I threw far using a mid-range. So, the long way around, those are my first questions:

1) Do I need to/should I use a driver to tee off?
If you can reach the hole with a shark, then no. If you need to get more distance, you may want to consider it. Don't get anything with a wider rim than a disc that is considered a fairway driver yet. You will be less likely to learn bad habits that way.
Quote:
2) Is 260-280 feet a good throw for a beginner with a Shark or should I be looking to get more out of it? I have thrown two 290+ foot throws, and can get 260+ on almost every throw.
That is a good distance. You can get more out of it over time, but I wouldn't worry about it for now.
Quote:
3) Would I throw farther if I increased or decreased the weight of the disk, or is this more of a form issue?
It is more of a form issue. Weight is a personal preference thing. I started throwing better when I reduced the weight of my discs, but it was hard to throw consistently if I went too light.
Quote:

While we were playing I confirmed what the internet has told me about the importance of putting. Two great throws coupled with the need to putt twice...or three times...isn't very effective. This has made me to want to practice putting more than anything, which leads to my other questions:

4) If 30 feet is the ring in which the putting rules apply, should I practice putts past 30 feet or should I be making an extra throw to try and get into a range I feel more comfortable putting
The putting circle is at 10m (a little over 30 ft). Practice the putts you can make and slowly extend the distance. Focus on 15 footers first, then slowly work your way back. You want to be able to look at a putt and have confidence that you know you can hit it.
Quote:
5) Should I get a dedicated putter, and if so, should it be heavier than my mid-range? The reason I ask about the weight is because my wife has a 150 Cobra that I seem to throw straighter than I do with my 168 Shark or her 160 Cobra.
Many putt with heavier plastic as it is less affected by the wind.
Quote:
6) When putting with my Shark I seem to get a much straighter line if I release it with an anhyzer. Is this normal?
That's because you aren't putting as much into the shark as it needs to fly straight. I'd get a putter.
Reply With Quote
  #3828  
Old 06-26-2013, 07:42 AM
bcr123psu's Avatar
bcr123psu bcr123psu is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by knave View Post
What is PLH?
Here's a little more information on parting line height (without getting too complicated):

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/cont...age_id=573#PLH
Reply With Quote
  #3829  
Old 06-26-2013, 08:58 AM
spikodelhyzer's Avatar
spikodelhyzer spikodelhyzer is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by knave View Post
Why is it so important to use ONE exact disc for all your putts? I have good luck with everything from a buzz to a polecat. I'm 7/10 from 35'.
Putters were built to be used for putting. Discs like the buzzz were not.

Also 7/10 from 35' is like pro level of putting.
Reply With Quote
 

  #3830  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 AM
knave knave is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northwest WI
Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikodelhyzer View Post
Putters were built to be used for putting. Discs like the buzzz were not.
I have a basket that I work on my short game with. As a pitch putter, and keeping the nose down, It seems like they all fly about the same. Well, maybe not the polecat!
Rather than run to the basket after every throw, I use my buzzz, roc, skeeter, pig, dart, aviar, and polecat for practice.
I really should get more putters, but I can't decide which one i like.
I like the dart for longer puts, and the pig for windy ones.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.