Disc Golf Store
Old 06-25-2013, 05:18 PM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaiser View Post
My Volt flies like what I thought my Amp would fly like. That thing turns like crazy when I put some power behind it. Not a bad disc, but now there is a huge gap between my Shock and the Volt. The Volt is 175g.

Any ideas of why mine is so flippy? Maybe a first run?
lol weird, my volt used to turn for me a lot, and as i throw it, there seems to be less turn because im throwing it VERY clean and level.

at first it was probably -2 HSS and 1 LSS

now its holding out at -1 HSS and 2 LSS consistently.. very weird how touchy MVP discs can be because of the gyro, but im a better golfer now because of it.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
^^^^
My stubbornness to not get rid of the Volt helped me keep trying for about 20 minutes throwing the disc and I came to the conclusion that I have to release it flat or on slight hyzer to not let it go to the left. Once I did the disc was a very straight flyer. I agree with your statement that it requires a clean release and I want to keep working at it to get better.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaiser View Post
My Volt flies like what I thought my Amp would fly like. That thing turns like crazy when I put some power behind it. Not a bad disc, but now there is a huge gap between my Shock and the Volt. The Volt is 175g.

Any ideas of why mine is so flippy? Maybe a first run?
One of my volts is 176 and its flippy.. i have to give it a bit of hyzer otherwise it will turn right too much and not come back. When throwing it about 400.. it needs some room to work, but it will come back.

It has more stability than my amps, but its not nearly stable as my other volts that are 169, 171, and 173.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:51 PM
* Ace Member *

lighter volts will almost always be more stable than heavier ones. that is the name of the game with "gyro". at least in my paws. my 169 is way more stable than my 175. ymmv
Old 06-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlass01 View Post
lighter volts will almost always be more stable than heavier ones. that is the name of the game with "gyro". at least in my paws. my 169 is way more stable than my 175. ymmv
How does it being heavier lower the stability? Sorry if this question has come up before...
Old 06-25-2013, 08:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekdo View Post
lol really? im not so great at all the physics.. how does it being heavier lower the stability? Sorry if this question has come up before...
all the cores weigh the same more or less. the weight difference is in the rims. not too sure but it has been discussed before. i dont know physics but i can see the flight difference.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
I might have to try a lighter weight Volt and see what happens. Maybe I can score one off the MP or eBay for cheap.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:26 PM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 19
less weight in the rim when they are lighter, when you have less weight in the rim you get less gyro effect, which means the disc will pull out of its line faster.

More Gyro = Slower transitions and slower fade
Less Gyro = Faster transitions and earlier fade

weight shouldn't make a huge difference.. but there is always a range of consistency, in general between dome/plh and the way plastic settles, less weight may mean less plastic and so it settles differently?

this is all just speculation, but it makes sense to me.

what i would like to know is the plastic mass density difference from the core to the overmold.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Hmm, well if anyone is interested i'll post up a video (maybe tomorrow) showing the differences in flight. I have noticed my lighter volts have a pretty decent fade at the end.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Par Member

I went out and threw my new 171g Neutron Volt today. I had a heck of a time even throwing it straight. It wanted to turn and anhyzer on every throw. *sigh*

I imagine once I figure out the correct level pane and power this will be an awesome disc. Until next time..