Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Bogey Member

So uh, been a bit of a hater on MVP in the past, not in the sense of "MVP fanboys suck" but just tried an Ion and Annode and didn't like the overmold on putters.

Bought a shock the other day. Absurdly good, I've thrown it on 8 drives over 2 rounds so far, 8 birdies. Good gawd this disc is amazing.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by waddleman View Post
So uh, been a bit of a hater on MVP in the past, not in the sense of "MVP fanboys suck" but just tried an Ion and Annode and didn't like the overmold on putters.

Bought a shock the other day. Absurdly good, I've thrown it on 8 drives over 2 rounds so far, 8 birdies. Good gawd this disc is amazing.
Welcome to the good guys.
Not just buy another ion and learn to love it
Old 07-01-2013, 10:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I had an orange one I threw multiple times every round that was getting there. These wear very well, just like a Teebird. It had a touch more glide and a later fade, but wasn't turning or having issues in headwinds. That ones in the water though
I've been abusing the orange 173 tester I got for a while now and it is a thing of beauty. Now when I pop it the shape of the flight is the same, but the fade is a bit later (but still strong). It also carries farther on a slight hyzer than my non-abused Shock. Subtle changes, but noticeable and appreciated.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
When the Shock is run in Proton I don't think there will be as large of difference in stability between it and the N version as we are seeing with N Volt vs. P Volt. When they "fixed" the Shock they really broke ground in terms of getting things perfect and keeping the PLHs very consistent. So the P Volt is benefiting from this whereas the N Volts were run before the fix. Since the N Shocks are already "fixed" I don't know whether the P Shock will be more overstable or not.
That's definitely the insight/answer I was looking for. Even if the P Volt does come out a bit more stable than Neutron, I would assume that it will still be controllable.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by waddleman View Post

Welcome to the club.. Add a Volt and Tangent now
Old 07-01-2013, 12:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 16
i will say that i hate the grip on all their mids and putters with the exception of the tensor.

their drivers feel like money, though.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
i will say that i hate the grip on all their mids and putters with the exception of the tensor.

Vector has a bead but feels so good in my hands. Hold it in a power grip.. That will change for you. The putters I understand because that's a totally personal feeling..
Old 07-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post

I'm with you on this. I can't imagine playing without their drivers or the tensor. Can't wait for a distance driver.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 60
I still carry a firebird but rarely throw it due to the shock recently. I love the way the shock can reach back deep around a dogleg, where a firebird would tend to glide less. I find myself birdying many holes on FH hyzers more consistently. On the other hand the shock is also great for very consistent slightly turned over FH straight shots(200-300) particularly when downhill is on the left . In practice rounds for this situation I would throw my zone FH or turn over a putter or tangent but in competition the slight turned over straight Shock shot with the FH is such a no brainer I can't not use it.

This has really been one of the three big factors that is improving my game recently

1. using my lower body better while putting
2 Having dialed in BH and FH Form to a point where it is very relaxed, comfortable, and repeatable. I am throwing Hyzers, Straight, and An-hyzers very consistently BH and FH by learning to use power while staying very relaxed and ballenced. Relaxed, ballenced, committed and smooth is a feeling and when it starts to become a habbit it is a great thing. This allows for....

3 Really dialing in what the highest percentage shot is and playing these percentages very deliberately. By having the choice of BH and FH, overstable or understable, all in the toolbox and not favoring anything I can see more clearly what my actual percentages are. This is why I bring this up and why I've been throwing the shock a ton in competition recently.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 10
My Shock has been nothing short of exactly what I wanted. Overstable but completely controlable. I have thrown it in 30-40 mph winds and the only change I saw was that it got longer. It is one of the most dependable discs in my bag and one of the few slots I don't even consider slightly open. I also really like using it for skipping up.