Old 06-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Roc, what kind of update? The park and course are still heavily damaged. This weekend is the charity tournament for tornado relief. Two rounds held at Lions and Griffin down in Norman.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Par Member

Just in case anyone was wondering, the one day tourney this weekend netted over $3,200 toward rebuilding the disc golf course @ Little River Park in Moore, Oklahoma.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Par Member

Found out today that the city, in their clean-up efforts, have demo'd some undamaged pads on the course. If you are local to the area please call Moore Parks and Rec and ask what their plans are for rebuilding the park and course. Emphasize that the pads can be salvaged and reused in whatever new layout the course ends up having after rebuilding has been completed.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Par Member

Last night the city debuted the rebuild concept for Little River Park. Unfortunately, it does NOT include a disc golf course. Some rather weak comments made by city officials claiming complaints seem to fly directly in the face of the comments made just days before the storm hit thanking the local club for maintaining the course. Sparky and others have donated significant time and money to building, promoting, and maintaining that course. With just under 6 months of data the city has apparently decided that disc golf has no place in Moore.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 315
Sounds like its time to get the news media involved.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 45
https://www.change.org/petitions/moo...sc-golf-course
Just saw this in the newest PDGA email update. I was unaware of this beforehand. I don't really understand the mindset behind this.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Par Member

The detractors (supposedly one woman with the ear of a Parks and Rec board member) are claiming (in a public forum) that it isn't a real sport, the players tear up the park, the discs are a hazard to walkers, the players take all of the parking, the players fill the garbage cans with trash, and the course reduced the family aspect of the park.

Since that time, the city has only sidestepped the issue stating that the plans were "preliminary" and "on-going" discussions were occurring. Then they (at least privately) suggested that the Moore DGA acquire it's own land and donate it to the city for a course. That has gone over like a lead balloon.

The City Council meeting on the 16th should be fun.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCasper View Post
https://www.change.org/petitions/moo...sc-golf-course
Just saw this in the newest PDGA email update. I was unaware of this beforehand. I don't really understand the mindset behind this.
I tried signing that despite my aversion about online petitions. This kind of describes how that experience went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiketheGoalie View Post
The detractors (supposedly one woman with the ear of a Parks and Rec board member) are claiming (in a public forum) that it isn't a real sport, the players tear up the park, the discs are a hazard to walkers, the players take all of the parking, the players fill the garbage cans with trash, and the course reduced the family aspect of the park.
In otherwords, Miss Nimby thinks its wrong for a male under 30 to have fun, at least in her park.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
I tried signing that despite my aversion about online petitions. This kind of describes how that experience went.
That sums up my feelings about online petitions. I hesistate to sign petitions for causes I agree with just because half the time you end up getting roped into some weird extremist position on the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheGoalie
What a strange bunch of arguments. Who cares of all of the parking is taken? I live near a highschool and a park, and the parking occasionally overflows onto my street. I think its great when this happens, it means our public services are being used by the people.

Recently the school had to spend several hundred thousand dollars because some people were complaining about the lights from the night games, and the sound from the loudspeakers. Nevermind the fact that the highschool was literally the first thing in the area. And is right next to railroad tracks (which recently got in trouble for blowing their horn too often). I'll never understand some people.

And judging by most public parks, I'd say its a good thing if they are filling up the trash cans.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 189
I signed it. I've played a lot of disc golf in Oklahoma. Never played this course but I spent hours and hours at Arcadia, Dolese, etc. Some really good folks out there, though they're definitely outnumbered (in Oklahoma) by the Miss Nimbys of the world. Best of luck to you guys...