Old 07-03-2013, 01:18 AM

Courses Played: 26
plastic durability

I have a bunch of opto in my bag so that is what i am basically comparing the jolly launcher to, but my two terns seem to be beating in faster than I would have hoped.

Anyone else noticing excessive gouging? Was I expecting too much? I really loved this disc "out of the box" but it became too flippy too fast.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:21 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Some Tern 1st impressions

I've been on a discing down adventure for the past few months - nothing faster than speed 8-9 (whatever MVP fairways are). The last D driver I'd ordered before this was a 166 Champ Tern. And so it sat, waiting it's turn. Finally, last weekend, I broke out unthrown 163 Lace action along with the Tern, mostly out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised with both and with the extra distance overall. Previously, I couldn't count on D drivers to give me any extra D at all, so I took them out and worked on form - a lot. Putting them back in, I can now see an appreciable increase and will be hard pressed to keep them out at this point. Frankly, I can't decide which I like better so both are in for further testing. If the Champ Tern really is -2/2, then the Lace feels like -3/2. I did find I turned my Tern over pretty hard in a headwind, my Shock easily blew by it on a frozen rope. I love the plastic and feel though, so I want to give it a fair shake to make the cut. Overall, color me impressed.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:50 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonVista View Post
I have a bunch of opto in my bag so that is what i am basically comparing the jolly launcher to, but my two terns seem to be beating in faster than I would have hoped.

Anyone else noticing excessive gouging? Was I expecting too much? I really loved this disc "out of the box" but it became too flippy too fast.
I can honestly say I don't have this problem. I have a first run Tern that's been in my nag since they first came out and I throw it a lot. It's still pretty neutral, not flippy at all. It's got its fair share of scuffs but no gouges at all. My Climo Tern looks brand new despite throwing it basically every day since I got it.

My Star Worlds Tern got even flippier pretty quick but it seems to have held that level of understableness for awhile now.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 30
i do enjoy the fact that innova is printing the more realistic flight ratings per the plastic. ive not thrown the stars but im liking the champ. i have good feeling this will be the disc i touch 500 with. 450 on the regular has got to come first though.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Got a 170 yellow star tern today, alot more shallow than a star destroyer, has a little more flip when thrown right but its definitely not a -4
Old 07-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 18.2
i have found that the lighter weight terns tend to get more understable the lighter you go. my star tern is 171 and is consistent but slightly more understable than my first run or reg run 175g terns
Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 41
Can anyone tell me if there is any significant variation in flight from the Champ Proto's to current Champ stock or the Climo tour series?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSteveLA View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is any significant variation in flight from the Champ Proto's to current Champ stock or the Climo tour series?
Protos and Production runs fly the same for me.

The Climo Tern is an interesting disc, however. They claim its "more stable" but to Innova that must just mean "has a tad bit more fade." I stilll get a good -2 high speed turn out of it (when thrown flat) but its got just a hint of more low speed fade....maybe a +2.5. Still has that great glide though.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 134
I have the production, Champ, and MF champion Terns. I honestly don't think the stamp matters one bit on the production and Champ ones. My Champ one has way more flip to it than my production. To the eye they are identical in shape/plh. The only difference I have noticed is that the plastic on my Champ one is alot more flexible. (Just like with the star plastic I think the flexibility of the plastic seems to define its stability.) I recently bought another stiffer tern this weekend but have not been out to field test it yet to see if it is consistent with my observations....hopefully it is.
the MF terns are very HSS straight and have a tad more end fade. They also seem to have a slightly lower profile than the production and champ ones as well as being significantly stiffer. And preform better into headwinds.
I'm throwing mine just shy of 400' and these are about the flights I'm getting with a slight hyzer release.

**My Paint skills are not the greatest but these lines are pretty close**

Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
I have the production, Champ, and MF champion Terns.
What discs are these three?