Old 06-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 3
The Flying Biscuits Open - July 20th - Batavia, IL

C-Tier PDGA sanctioned tournament

Two 18+ hole rounds at West Main Park in Batavia, IL.

This will be the first PDGA sanctioned tournament at the new West Main Park in Batavia IL. With a new Aces and Chains Pro Shop recently opened in Geneva Il this spring, it was a natural to add Batavia to the schedule. West Main Park is the most challenging course in the area. Come test your mettle in Batavia!

Pre-registration is highly encouraged. This is only a one day tournament, and is highly likely to fill. Also, By pre-registering, you help us run a smoother tournament.

Pre-registration and more info is available here: http://www.acesandchains.com/node/794

Day of Registration (if spots are available) and Check-In will be between 8am-9am on Saturday. Please check in when you get there.

Players meeting will be held at 9:15am. Tee off at approx. 9:30am.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
Is the Shady Oaks Open no longer happening?
Is additional mowing going to be done and/ or are rubber mats going to be brought in for the tourney? I can't see there being an adequate sanctioned tourney there if neither of those are done. The course is still too overgrown and raw at this point.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 58
The event on July 20 at Shady Oaks in Streamwood has been moved to West Main Park in Batavia.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
The event on July 20 at Shady Oaks in Streamwood has been moved to West Main Park in Batavia.
I pre-registered for the Shady Oaks open earlier this summer, will the regristration be transferred to the event in Batavia then?
Old 07-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Birdie Member

The Flying Biscuits Open

Yes, your registration from earlier in the year will be automatically transferred to The Flying Biscuits Open. If you wish to cancel it, just let me know.

I am currently working with the Batavia Park District to get them to mow the fairways wider on about half of the holes. The other half are limited by the existing trees and underbrush.

There won't be new tee pads in time for the tournament. Tee boxes looked fine when I was out there last week. As long as it's dry for a few days beforehand, there should be no issues. And if it's wet and muddy, we'll change the tee off position so that it's not an issue.

This is a tough course - definitely not for the faint of heart. Lol. And, it is new, but has a LOT of potential. As long as the tall grass is mowed into a reasonable fairway, it should be a lot of fun. It's my intention to have a tournament there every year, and make it one of the premier tournaments. It should get better every year as the course comes into it's own.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Glad to hear there is an effort to get it cleaned up even more before the tournament. It really will make a difference if every halfway errant throw doesn't end up turning into a scavenger hunt through the rough.
I also hope there's going be some work on clearing out airways on holes 4, 12 and 16. As of right now, they're not realistic golf line holes. A good amount of saplings and overhanging branches should be cleared to make them fair.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
so disappointed in a few people that had issues with it and make an entire group look like whinny d-bags. fyi Patrick the grand majority of us could care less about you running a tournament at shady oaks, and were happy about it too.
this same type of BS happened in rockford many years ago. and i can remember some of the said people above being ones to think it was ridiculous too, hypocrites. too much of "this course belongs to us" mentality around here.
Don't worry if you want to come run a tournament in crystal lake or marengo area, no one is going to care if you ask the communities permission. We love having tournaments at our backdoor. though the CL park district might not make it easy on you...haha....sad face.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 16
Too bad we can't have a real tourney at Wheeler...
Old 07-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Birdie Member

Tournament in Geneva

Yeah, I did try to put a tournament at Wheeler this year, but my permit was not approved. I'm hoping that once the Geneva Park District sees that I'm an asset to the community that I can place one there next year.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Birdie Member

Spotters wanted!

I'm putting the call out for spotters for Saturday's tournament at West Main Park in Batavia. The park district is unable to mow the fairways wider in time for the tournament, and spotters would be a big help. All spotters will receive a free Aces and Chains t-shirt, and plenty of water. And if you need anything else, please let me know. If you are willing to spot for the tournament, please comment on this post. Thanks!

There is definitely the possibility of lost discs during this tournament. I will bring not just tournament discs, but some of the used discs as well to help players get thru the day. If we get some spotters, it will help alleviate the amount of lost discs. And I'd like to put this out there: Every player that loses a disc will get a free one from the used bin. I can't replace every lost disc for you, but I'll replace the first one.