#41  
Old 07-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Grinder12000's Avatar
Grinder12000 Grinder12000 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Columbus WI
Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 289
What JT is saying is that he believes all rounds that are not sanctioned are classified as casual rounds and do not matter.

He believes a PDGA rating after only 1 round is more valid then a DGCR rating in which 12 are needed. That is my problem with PDGA rating they are sort of meaningless for most players unless they have played in 12 rounds (which I believe is too small of a sample in the first place).

It all comes down to what YOU make of the rating you use.

Next year I'll be an Advanced Senior Grandmaster which ROCKS!! I would love to get in a tournament even though I totally suck. Have to figure out how to find one!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-14-2013, 03:46 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Posts: 7,667
Or perhaps he's saying that PDGA ratings matter because they have an actual effect beyond entertainment---they can determine which divisions you're eligible to compete in.

DGCR ratings are strictly for entertainment, which is not a bad thing. Though I suppose you could use them to create handicaps, of a sort.

I'd certainly agree with "It all comes down to what YOU make of the rating you use."
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-14-2013, 04:18 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
Posts: 6,543
There's a significant difference from tournament play and casual play for most players.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-14-2013, 04:51 PM
PhattD's Avatar
PhattD PhattD is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 26
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I knew of a player with a PDGA rating of 445. Presumably someone could have such a rating with DGCR, if he dared to enter scores.

At a non-sanctioned event at Stoney Hill, two people shot scores that, if they'd been shot in the sanctioned tournament a week before and if points-per-stroke was linear (which I assume it's not), I figured would have been a rating of 8.

In the wide spectrum of disc golfers, "who knows" is a fine estimate.
Actually I'm pretty sure the points per stroke is linear. I believe the formula uses ssa = rated 1000 and ssa x 2 = rated 500. So if ssa is 50 then a round of 100 is rated 500 and that's where you get the 10 points per stroke. if ssa is 48 then a 96 is a 500 rated round and you have 10.42 points per stroke. I'm just retro fitting the formula to match the results but it seems to hold true. To address the question on how bad you'd have to shoot to get a negative round I think anything worse than 3 x ssa should get you a negative rating.

Last edited by PhattD; 07-14-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-14-2013, 05:06 PM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhattD View Post
Actually I'm pretty sure the points per stroke is linear. I believe the formula uses ssa = rated 1000 and ssa x 2 = rated 500. So if ssa is 50 then a round of 100 is rated 500 and that's where you get the 10 points per stroke. if ssa is 48 then a 96 is a 500 rated round and you have 10.42 points per stroke. I'm just retro fitting the formula to match the results but it seems to hold true. To address the question on how bad you'd have to shoot to get a negative round I think anything worse than 3 x ssa should get you a negative rating.
^So simple, it actually makes sense. He just might be on to something here...
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Grinder12000's Avatar
Grinder12000 Grinder12000 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Columbus WI
Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 289
Quote:
There's a significant difference from tournament play and casual play for most players.
This is very true, it's all how you play. I agree. If you are comparing you can not compare PDGA ratings to DGCR ratings. But you can compare DGCR to DGCR and PDGA to PDGA.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-14-2013, 07:20 PM
sonny's Avatar
sonny sonny is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Rocky Mount, NC
Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 35
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
Next year I'll be an Advanced Senior Grandmaster which ROCKS!! I would love to get in a tournament even though I totally suck. Have to figure out how to find one!
Yeah well good luck with that. I'll be Senior Grandmaster next year too and around here we have a pretty slim grandmasters pool. A half dozen maybe, but we have a good time. You'd probably have to play a major tourney to see a senior GM division.

Last edited by sonny; 07-14-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: but in ten years I can be a legend
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Disc Fiend's Avatar
Disc Fiend Disc Fiend is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dirty Jersey
Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
There's a significant difference from tournament play and casual play for most players.
^This. I have only entered rounds on here since they started doing the ratings. I don't have enough rounds in yet to get an official DGCR rating(a lot of my rounds recently have been doubles, or league rounds where we only play 18 out of 27 so I can't get a rated round) But I guarantee that when I finally have an official DGCR rating, it will be significantly higher then my PDGA rating. For some reason, as soon as it starts to really matter, I always shoot worse then normal. Sanctioned tournament rounds are a different beast mentally.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Grinder12000's Avatar
Grinder12000 Grinder12000 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Columbus WI
Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 289
Quote:
Yeah well good luck with that. I'll be Senior Grandmaster next year too and around here we have a pretty slim grandmasters pool. A half dozen maybe, but we have a good time. You'd probably have to play a major tourney to see a senior GM division.
That's unfortunate. I was hoping to win if only I was in it. LOL
Reply With Quote
 

  #50  
Old 07-14-2013, 10:34 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
Posts: 6,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
But you can compare DGCR to DGCR and PDGA to PDGA.
Comparing DGCR ratings will have a much wider variance into what it really means. PDGA ratings have less variables.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.