Old 07-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
This really helped me when I hurt my knee putting. "Do while sitting on a chair with no front cross braces between the legs.
While sitting have your leg resting in a stretched position. Place both your thumbs, side by side, about 2 inches behind the kneecap and press down into your leg hard and then redirect the pressure a little towards the kneecap. After 30 seconds, slowly slide your foot back and under your chair as far as it will go, release the pressure but hold your foot there for another 30 seconds
The important part of this release is the pressure in the leg, if there isn't enough this isn't going to take. If you have that happen try it again right away. some people have had to have someone else do the pressure of them to get this to work."
Old 07-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.feelgood View Post
This really helped me when I hurt my knee putting. "Do while sitting on a chair with no front cross braces between the legs.
While sitting have your leg resting in a stretched position. Place both your thumbs, side by side, about 2 inches behind the kneecap and press down into your leg hard and then redirect the pressure a little towards the kneecap. After 30 seconds, slowly slide your foot back and under your chair as far as it will go, release the pressure but hold your foot there for another 30 seconds
The important part of this release is the pressure in the leg, if there isn't enough this isn't going to take. If you have that happen try it again right away. some people have had to have someone else do the pressure of them to get this to work."
Thanks man. I'll keep this in mind.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 7
Brief background, I'm 43, have had previous knee surgery and now am up for a total knee replacement. Don't take knee pain lightly, as others have said, see your doc. Press to see an orthopedic surgeon. And if necessary, alter your game to help your knees. I play with virtually no run up to reduce strain. I wear a brace. But talk to the Doc!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
3 sagas, make of them what you will.

I'm 54. One of my knees went bad at 16, the other at 22, and they worsened over time until, in my 40s, I was wearing knee braces for office work. Eventually I decided that surgery would be better than the road I was on, so I went to an orthopedic surgeon. He diagnosed it as tight hamstrings, sent me to physical therapy to learn the right stretches, and it was a miracle. At 50, my knees were better than at 25. It cost me about $200, and I wish I had done it a decade or more sooner and saved myself the trouble.

At 44, I tore the labrum in my shoulder. I didn't know it; I tried rest, playing through the pain, and every non-surgical cure that I could find (medication, chiropractor, physical therapy, etc.). Finally I went back to the ortho, hoping for something like the knee experience. Nope. Surgery, and a long recovery. I lost about 2 years of my disc golf life, trying to handle it myself.

At 53, I tore my knee up on a bicycle. I gave it a week to recover, then went straight to the ortho. Surgery again, but I had it done quickly and, 7 weeks after surgery, I was playing a tournament on the resurrection of my all-time favorite course, Gran Canyon.

So you'll forgive me if I say, if the knee pain lasts more than a few weeks, go see an orthopedist.

Don't put any stock in my opinion, but I'll bet from the description that the proper stretching will be your salvation.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 60
Go see a good Chiropractor. It will help a lot.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
3 sagas, make of them what you will.

I'm 54. One of my knees went bad at 16, the other at 22, and they worsened over time until, in my 40s, I was wearing knee braces for office work. Eventually I decided that surgery would be better than the road I was on, so I went to an orthopedic surgeon. He diagnosed it as tight hamstrings, sent me to physical therapy to learn the right stretches, and it was a miracle. At 50, my knees were better than at 25. It cost me about $200, and I wish I had done it a decade or more sooner and saved myself the trouble.

At 44, I tore the labrum in my shoulder. I didn't know it; I tried rest, playing through the pain, and every non-surgical cure that I could find (medication, chiropractor, physical therapy, etc.). Finally I went back to the ortho, hoping for something like the knee experience. Nope. Surgery, and a long recovery. I lost about 2 years of my disc golf life, trying to handle it myself.

At 53, I tore my knee up on a bicycle. I gave it a week to recover, then went straight to the ortho. Surgery again, but I had it done quickly and, 7 weeks after surgery, I was playing a tournament on the resurrection of my all-time favorite course, Gran Canyon.

So you'll forgive me if I say, if the knee pain lasts more than a few weeks, go see an orthopedist.

Don't put any stock in my opinion, but I'll bet from the description that the proper stretching will be your salvation.
Dang man that list sounds like what's happened to me over the years.

Broke right ankle twice,Broke left ankle once. Dislocated finger and shoulder. Hyperextended my left knee so bad I had to get a sit down job for 2 years. I have carpal tunnel and arthritis in my right hand. I'm just 30 years old by the way.

My recently seperated shoulder is now finally healing.You should see the scars I have on my body it's crazy lol. So I feel your pain.

The knee thing is off and on. Last night at work it felt fine. I had a couple of times where I would bend down and get back up I would have a slight pain. Right now though it feels great. I'm just tired as crap right now though. lol.

If it gets worse I have a family doctor I can go to,before I go to anyone else.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarFirebird View Post
Well I don't go to the doctor. I know I'm stubborn.

It's on the outside of my knee. Whenever it does start to hurt bending down and getting back up causes me to limp around for a bit before it loosens back up.

I've also got a messed up wrist,but I think it's carpal tunnel setting in. It stinks getting older.
Why go to a doctor when you can get free medical advice from unknown, untrained, well-intended folks from the intraweb? Certainly our own personal experiences will mirror yours and put you on the right track.

I know, I know, it is the same thing that happens here for players who want to throw farther or master the mystical grenade roller shot. If we are willing to risk our GAMES on seemingly useful advice then why not risk our health as well?

I believe the solution to your bad knee is to EXHALE strongly while throwing a second run 171 gram blue ESP Surge on uphill blind anhyzer holes.

If not then you may have an iliotibial band problem. No really, (really) there are a bunch of youtube sites which have stretches for IT Band problems. An IT Band inflammation causes significant pain to the outside of the knee, especially when walking up or down stairs, hills, etc. The stretches may not help but probably won't hurt (much)((maybe)).

Good luck.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Throwing Style: RHFH
rotating on your toes is going to make it worse.

i'm no expert but timing issues, but it's probably putting excess torque on your knee.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.4
Courses Played: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by vw02 View Post

i'm no expert but timing issues, but it's probably putting excess torque on your knee.
I've rotated on the ball of my foot for the better part of 28 years. Pretty sure the knee pains i'm getting these days is a direct result of this.

Un-Learning this is tough.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw02 View Post

If I rotate on my heel,it's such a sudden pain I almost fall to the ground holding my knee.

I think I'll stick to rotating on the ball of my foot as I hardly feel any pain from it.