Old 07-19-2013, 04:58 PM

1 year critique

Well I'm at the 1 year mark, and its time to put it out there. Any advice would be helpful.

I have kind of a Barry Schultz drive, minus the good form. Lol. but I've been studying Sidewinders drive lately and I really admire his form. Thinking of dropping my backswing straight down to stay more on line. What do you think?
Also I'm tearing up the outside edge of my right shoe sole. Is this indicative of bad pivot?

Distance is pretty good. But just like everyone I'd like to be more consistent. Sometimes I feel like its hard to stay on line with this type of drive, and I consider trying more of a Schusterick kind of reach back.

http://youtu.be/M9bVtYs78lY

http://youtu.be/uu1aubsl3QI ( turn off volume omg)
Old 07-19-2013, 07:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
You look a bit tight throughout the throw and off balance. Weight transfer issues are easier to see from a side view. Changing your balance more toward the toes will help drop shoulder/disc in the backswing a little bit. Your balance is behind your heels and leaning back(looking up, my neck hurts watching) and you never get your weight/spine braced forward properly(braced tilt, tilted spiral). If you watch your hips in the finish the right hip sways to the right, it should hold it's position after it's cleared(hogan power drill).

Watch the throwing shoulder rotation, hips in the followthrough and balance of all these four guys, 3 righties have major distance titles(Brinster, Jerm, Schwebby) and former world champ(lefty Mela).
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Read/watch vids in this thread:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums...fdc78&start=15

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 PM

Thanks Sidewinder. this is obviously going to take me some time to digest.
I wonder why I arch my back and neck like that. It's funny it doesn't feel like I do that but it sure is apparent in video. It feels like it is keeping my throws level, and if I lean forward I am throwing hyzers. I'll try it out. But how do I not throw hyzers when I start to incorporate this into my throw?

I'm kind of lost on the tilted spiral stuff, but I'll try to research that. But it seems that shifting my hip to the right is what is dragging the right edge of my shoe? Is my weight just too far forward?

I work hard at disc golf, and I'm willing to try new things it just may take some time to truly understand how to make the changes. This is just what I wanted though so it really appreciate it!
Old 07-20-2013, 12:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
Your lower spine is still on your rear foot/leg when you release and your spine rotates about the wrong axis with your shoulder flying open and off plane and as a compensation you arch your back and neck. You want to have your whole spine braced and balanced on the front foot/leg axis to rotate about. Once you get the feeling of trapping your chest forward from the hip joint(don't lean, keep a balanced and athletic posture) and then tilting/bracing the spine on the front side, it's easy to adjust your balance/spine to the intended swing plane of hyzer or anhyzer.

The wear on the outside front foot is likely caused by trying to shift weight too much and from in front of you(instead of from behind) and your weight gets to the outside of the foot instead of keeping it on the inside of the foot, so you end up over rotating. Check the best downswing weight shift and power sequence drill vids in linked thread.

All this stuff is much easier to work on from a standstill with slow discs, neutral putters/mids. Improving your distances/efficiency from a standstill is also easier to gauge your improvement.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:11 AM

Ok I watched the tilted spiral video. I totally get those playground things and have played on one myself. I can relate this to efficient power, but I visualize this to throwing hyzer. Funny thing is I'm most accurate on hyzer shots.

I'm going to try this with getting my weight over my toes and report back. Ill also try to brace my weight against the inside of my right foot. Thanks for the info! It takes time to decipher your somewhat encrypted analysis, but I think I finally get it mentally. I'll try to make my body do it next.