^ very insightful (as usual).
Old 07-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 107
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
The best tips are when players volunteer to help out. Especially when, say, and out-of-town player, during the lunch break, offers to help check scorecards. Or lingers after the awards ceremony to help clean up, instead of hitting the road. Awesome.

Right behind that are the Thank Yous. Honestly, a cash tip is a nice idea, but if you just catch the TD in a quiet moment, or something like it, and tell him Thank You, that will go a long way. (It doesn't hurt to do the same to assistants, spotters, and everyone else involved, by the way).

That, and the support of things like buying a CFR disc, donating items for CTPs, and other ways players chip in, without actually paying a tip.
as a TD I totally agree with this. I don't need $5 or 10, what I do need is someone who will show up the day before to help me mark the OB's, or will stay an hour after to help take down stuff and collect the garbage that always seems to be laying around.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 26
I'm astonished people are so against the idea. If you don't want to do it don't. If the TD doesn't want to take a tip let him donate it to the club. Anyone that thinks a TD should be obligated to donate his time for free doesn't appreciate how much work it is. Maybe if this got to be more of a tradition TD's would be able to buy pizza for the spotters. There really isn't a down side. $5 or $10 bucks isn't much but if half the field left a tip....

Last edited by PhattD; 07-17-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhattD View Post
There really isn't a down side.
Yes there is. Namely, the fact that the concept of tipping in general has gotten far from its original purpose, and has become an expectation in more and more facets of our lives than generations past. We really don't need to introduce this guilt ridden practice into disc golf tournaments.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.3
Courses Played: 79
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
Yes there is. Namely, the fact that the concept of tipping in general has gotten far from its original purpose, and has become an expectation in more and more facets of our lives than generations past. We really don't need to introduce this guilt ridden practice into disc golf tournaments.
Totally difference circumstance.
This is not a supplement to TD's income, as the "services tip" has been called.

Last edited by CaptainAnhyzer; 07-18-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 26
So I tipped the TD this weekend. All I said was I thought TD's deserved some thanks for all their hard work. And he said "Thanks that might be the nicest thing anyone's said to me all weekend". Which I think was an exaggeration since I heard a lot of people thanking him over the course of the weekend. But either way he appreciated it. If you think TD' deserve something, try it and the post here how it goes.